Worst covers and good covers??

rrfield

In my opinion, you have to break this dwon into 2 categories...Beatles Covers and Non-Beatles Covers. When it comes to music, there are 2 categories...The Beatles and Everyone Else :) (no quite true, but you get my point ;) )

Beatles
Best
Eddie Vedder - You've got to hide your love away
Stan Kenton Orchestra - Hey Jude

Worst
Aerosmith - Come Together
I don't know who godhead is, but I found a website that says they are goth/industrial. If they did any Beatles covers, especially Eleanor Rigby, I would have to assume they are awful.

Non-Beatles
Best
Jimi Hendrix - All Along the Watchtower (Bob Dylan)
Dave Matthews Band - Beauty of Winona (Daniel Lanois)
The White Stripes - Death Letter (Son House)

Worst
John Mellencamp - Wild Nights (Van Morrison)
Guns n Roses - Knockin on Heavens Door (Bob Dylan)
Aerosmith - Come Together (Beatles) (I HAD to include this twice!)

rrfield

Mirlyn

rrfield said:
I don't know who godhead is, but I found a website that says they are goth/industrial. If they did any Beatles covers, especially Eleanor Rigby, I would have to assume they are awful.
They are goth/industrial, but like I mentioned above, I don't think such stark differences in musical genre should be considered covers. To me they interpreted the song into their own genre and style, which is cool and all....to each their own, you know? However, I think they'd be better labeled as renditions. A cover, to me, is someone redoing a song in tribute or such while keeping the original style. Obviously Beatles couldn't be farther from the Industrial section at the music store, so I would treat it different.

I, too, think the Monkeeys suck. Seriously. Suckage++.

Just my two cents...;)

I heard Dave Matthews Band doing Hey Joe. Thats pretty good too.

rrfield

Mirlyn said:
They are goth/industrial, but like I mentioned above, I don't think such stark differences in musical genre should be considered covers. To me they interpreted the song into their own genre and style, which is cool and all....to each their own, you know? However, I think they'd be better labeled as renditions. A cover, to me, is someone redoing a song in tribute or such while keeping the original style. Obviously Beatles couldn't be farther from the Industrial section at the music store, so I would treat it different.

I, too, think the Monkeeys suck. Seriously. Suckage++.

Just my two cents...;)

I heard Dave Matthews Band doing Hey Joe. Thats pretty good too.

I'm just not a big goth fan, like you said, to each their own :)

rrfield

breaky

Buttcrackdivine said:
The Alien Ant farm's cover "smooth criminal" by Micheal Jackson was amazing.

i totally agree, that one rocks

but the worst i can think of right now is GERI HALLIWELL (is that her name?) - IT'S RAINING MEN
oh my god, she's ruined a perfect tune with that it's so unfair, bad geri, very bad geri:spank2:

BeardofPants

Spot said:
hpw about johnny cash's cover of a NIN song?

"Hurt" is fucking brilliant. He did a better job than Reznor (something about such pain coming from an old man... so much more emotional.)

Bravo for thinking of it!

BlurOfSerenity

as mentioned in the metallica covers thread, one of my all time favorite covers is Apoptygma Berzerk's one of Fade to Black.

i also love "summer of '69" by MxPx, for reasons even i am unsure of.

and there's a song i dont even have to hear to know it's horrible : Bono's version of Leonard Cohen's "hallelujah". my mom says she hates it, and by god, that's good enough for me.

whoreable

BeardofPants said:
"Hurt" is fucking brilliant. He did a better job than Reznor (something about such pain coming from an old man... so much more emotional.)

Bravo for thinking of it!

Rusty cage was cooler.

currently my favorite cover album is Black on Black a black flag tribute

AlphaTroll

Worst covers

Avril Lavigne doing 'Fuel' and 'Chop Suey'
DJ Sammy - Boys of Summer
Madonna - American Pie
Gareth Gates - Spirit in the sky
Britney Spears - I love Rock 'n Roll
And anyone who's ever attempted to cover Pink Floyd or Led Zep.
Also every cover of 'Yesterday' out there - why fuck with a classic? No-one will ever do it better than the Beatles, so just stop raping the song already!
Sheryl Crow - Sweet Child of Mine
Adam Duritz & Michelle Branch - big Yellow Taxi
The Corrs - Everybody Hurts

Can't think of any good covers right now.

AlphaTroll

Oh, but I can!

Jeff Buckley - doing Leonard Cohen's 'Halleluja' - brilliant!
Lemonheads - Mrs Robinson
Nirvana - Jesus doesn't want me for a sunbeam
Aretha Franklin - Respect
Marilyn Manson - Tainted Love (Skinny Puppies also did a good cover)
Joe Cocker - With a little help from my friends (I don't usually like Beatles covers, but Cocker did a good job of it)

tonksy

sweet dreams - marilyn manson.....it's just so creepy it's cool. i think annie lennox prolly likes it...

tonksy

OOHOOH! tesla's version of 'signs' is cool.
metallica's green hell/last caress.....great!
brooks and dunn's version of 'always something there to remind me' is....not worthy of a reminder...

i just heard otis redding doing "satisfaction'....great version...didn't even know i had it...i really gotta pay more attention to my cds....

CydCharisse

I have to hear this a few times whenever I'm at work, but I've taken a liken to LILLIX's cover of What I Like About You