Yellow to Orange

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
Squiggy said:
The Governor is the CIC of a states national guard. Only he can order them into service. But it was pressure from the Nixon Whitehouse that got it done...Thats why the song says "Tin soldiers and Nixon coming...Four dead in Ohi-o" :D

As bad as Nixon was, he never ordered the National Guard to Kent state. That was just 1960's propaganda...Only the governor of a state can order the National Guard to service, except in times of National Emergency. Kent state did not qualify as a National Emergency. ;)

Squiggy

ThunderDick
I'll have to call you on that one Gato. I lived through it and it was the Whitehouse that proposed using the Guard to stop the campus demonstrations. Thats a fact.

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
From everything I can find about it, the Kent State demonstration was in protest against Nixon's orders to bomb Cambodia, however the History records the calling in of the National Guard was done by the Governor, James Rhodes. Now, it is highly likely that Govenor Rhodes did consult with Nixon on what to do in this situation, but as pointed out, it was solely the Govenors decision to make, not Nixons.

Squiggy

ThunderDick
I said that....The only time I can recall the Whitehouse ordering the gaurd was the George Wallace incident with students...and then they went through the Justice Department. My point was that it was the direct result of pressure from the Whitehouse...

PT

Well, after continuing to read about it, Nixon certainly didn't feel any remorse for what happened at Kent State, even going so far as to blame the students for the killings. Wonder what would happen in todays world if something like this happened.

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
I lay the blame on both sides. The government and the students. Say all you like about their peaceful demonstration, but anybody who throws fire-crackers at an armed man, who's already on edge from having been placed there to begin with, deserves some extra scrutiny. The worst part about the incident at all was the fact that the media at the time never mentioned the firecrackers. That came out after the investigation, and was thought to be government :bs:

PT

That's the scary part. I could see singling out people that were stirring the most shit, but one of the people killed was apparently just walking to class. It seems to me the soldiers just opened fire, without really aiming at anyone in particular. Of course, there is also the fact that if they were highly trained soldiers, they wouldn't have been in country at that time, either.

Squiggy

ThunderDick
The whole country was a bit of a mess back then. We, as a country, have just begun to realize where fault was in all that turmoil. Both sides have to take a share....There were so many issues that were so much more personal than todays issues....or maybe it just looks that way through older eyes.....

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
On to current issues- does everyone have their duct tape & plastic to seal their houses? :rolleyes:

"What did you do during the war daddy"

"I went to Lowes."

flavio

Banned
Gonz said:
On to current issues- does everyone have their duct tape & plastic to seal their houses? :rolleyes:

"What did you do during the war daddy"

"I went to Lowes."

I guess I missed hearing about this. Are we supposed to be sealing up our houses air-tight?

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
flavio said:
I guess I missed hearing about this. Are we supposed to be sealing up our houses air-tight?

In the event of emergency, the HomeLand Defense Department :)rofl2: ) suggests everyone buy enough plastic & duct tape to seal their houses. I'll see if I can fine a story somewhere.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
CIA director George Tenet was to testify before the Senate Armed Services Committee on Wednesday about national security threats, a day after warning Congress that al-Qaida may strike both in the United States and on the Arabian peninsula as early as this week.

Intelligence information pointing at those targets led to last week's raising of the national terror alert level to "orange," the second highest level of five, Tenet said Tuesday. The information came from "multiple sources with strong al-Qaida ties," he said, without providing details.

Washington Post

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Cnn said:
WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Americans have apparently heeded the U.S. government's advice to prepare for terror attacks, emptying hardware store shelves of duct tape.

On Tuesday, less than 24 hours after U.S. Fire Administrator David Paulison described a list of useful items, stores in the greater Washington, D.C. area reported a surge in sales of plastic sheeting, duct tape, and other emergency items.

These items, Paulison said, can be helpful after a biological, chemical or radiological attack.

A Lowe's hardware store in Alexandria, Virginia, said every roll of duct tape has been sold. Another Alexandria Home Depot store reported sales of duct tape tripled overnight.

"Everything that was on that newscast, we are selling a lot of it," said Rich Pierce with a Home Depot in the D.C. area.

In his advisory, Paulison recommended that households have on hand three days worth of water and food; an emergency supply kit for both home and automobile; radios with extra batteries; and plastic sheeting and duct tape to seal windows and doors. (What to do)

With concerns growing about al Qaeda's interest in acquiring weapons of mass destruction, Paulison cautioned that aid after an attack could be hard to come by, at least initially.

He said that in the first 48 to 72 hours of an emergency, many Americans will likely to have to look after themselves.(Red Cross on preparedness)

If an attack occurs, Paulison said, households should tune in to local media outlets and not evacuate unless they are told to do so.

President Bush's Homeland Security Council raised the national threat level from yellow to orange on Friday. Orange indicates a "high" risk of terrorist attack, and yellow indicates an "elevated" risk.

The level was raised in part because of a high amount of "chatter" being intercepted by intelligence agencies.

When the Department of Homeland Security urged Americans on Monday to take steps to prepare for a possible attack, it said the advice was intended not as a "dire" warning but as cautionary advice.
:rofl2:

flavio

Banned
I saw a little on the news last night with some "experts" opinion that the duct tape and plastic was pretty much worthless. They did say the main thing was to shut off ventilation and heating/cooling.

Q

Ron Hazelton was on Good Morning America this morning demonstrating how to duct tape and plastic seal yourself in the laundry room. He forgot to suggest bringing the refridgerator in there.:tardbang: