You're Homophobic...

MrBishop

...that is just , so Gay!

Homo-Phobia: Homo (short for homsexuality, or homosexuals themselves) and Phobia ("extreme fear of a particular thing or situation, especially one that cannot be reasonably explained." ).

Some people fear and thus hate gay people. They are afraid for different reasons. Some fear that homosexuals are perverted and would fall into other perversions, such as child abuse (thus the reprisals against gay teachers, principals, and parents). Some fear that they will somehow 'catch' homosexuality (as if it were a disease), and others just fear guilt through association (as if a lightning bolt intended for the gay-guy next to them will hit them instead). For some, it's even the whole AIDS thing, but mostly it's unexplaineable. I know some guys that would never think of hugging another man, even if they knew that he wasn't gay, because they might be perceived as gay themselves.

How do you feel about the issue?
Are you homophobic?
Heterophobic?
Biphobic?

?

IDLEchild

How can one be homophobic around such polite, good people?

I am completely open to their lifestyle, i have no problems against them.

Western society on the whole is very unaccepting of gays but that is a far better standpoint than other societies where gays would be killed in open daylight if they were to come out....in this case westerners may be narrowminded but are a lot more accepting of them. Man ysterotypes are synonomous with gay couples or gay individuals and they all represent ignorance in society. I know many gay men and they are all polite, intelligent adults with bright futures and goals....but people would have you think they were Satan's whores.

I myself walk far off in the path of heterosexuality (for those that might confuse my sexuality and think i am gay) but i have never had any trouble with any homosexual male or female...rather the opposite.

greenfreak

I don't think anyone who really is homophobic will admit it. ;)

Told this story in another thread:

I had a friend in the ambulance corps who seemed a little less feminine (but many women in the corps were) and when she told me after a month that she was gay, I told her not to mention it to anyone in the corps yet. I had been there for years and I thought they would be jerks about it. They always joked about gay males so I figured they wouldn't accept her and be assholes about it.

After about two months, she decided to not keep it a secret anymore and the next time it came up, she mentioned that she was gay. I have to tell you, they surprised me. Everyone was really cool about it and actually went overboard sometimes, wanting explicit details of how she met women, the whole "which one of you is the guy" thing :rolleyes:, even about what dental dams were. :laugh:

Sometimes you just underestimate people. :shrug: I guess it helped that Gayle is extremely cool. A bunch of us would go to gay bars with her sometimes too. Why not, she always came to "our" bars, why not return the favor? :D

I've never had a problem with homosexuals or bisexuals. Well that isn't true either. I knew one guy who was an annoying attention whore but I had a problem with him because of that, not because he was gay. :D

I've gone out with guys who have had bisexual pasts and have had many friends who are gay. I think homophobia is more prevalent in men anyway. Women seem more accepting of it. :shrug:

greenfreak

Rusty and I were just talking about this the other day. Now that there is much more exposure to the gay lifestyle, I think eventually it will become more commonplace and thus, more accepted.

Cable networks are starting to realize that they should gear some shows towards the gay community and shows like "Queer as Folk" and "Queer Eye for the Straight Guy" are runaway hits. Not to mention infusing gay male relationships into a show like "Six Feet Under". Hell, that was an interractial gay relationship. HBO has always been able to pull off mostly anything though. I could never get rid of that channel, they do such a good job with their original programming.

HubbaHubba

im very comfortable with my sexuality and i could care less about someones sexual orientation , it doesnt effect me any.

I recognise as straight. I ***love*** women, but i've debated with myself that if at sometime(somehow) i actually was attracted to a guy, the fact that he's male wouldnt stop me from dating him...maybe thats just being comfortable with my sexuality though
on a related note
I hate the ideservemoreandeveryoneshouldcareaboutmebecauseim gay people, im not afraid of them, i just hate them

flavio

Banned
I was homophobic in high school the first time I met someone homosexual. He worked with a friend of mine at a Mr. Hero (are those still around?). I dropped by for awhile once and my friend went to the back room leaving me alone with the guy and remember feeling extremely uncomfortable.

It took me awhile to grow out of that mentality but now I have several gay friends and have been to gay bars/clubs on many occasions and I'm usually not uncomfortable in the least.

Two exceptions though....it's still slightly weird when a guy hits on me, especially when the untactful blunt approach is used. BUT this also makes me think that it's probably very similar to the situation women find themselves in often dealing with untactful blunt approaches from men they aren't interested in.

The other exception happened a few months ago when I ended up at a big dance club which is pretty much a gay club on saturday nights. At some point I lost my friends and was very drunk at 3:30am wading through a crowd of dancing shirtless sweaty guys trying to find my buddies. Not a huge problem, but not really my scene either.

peterska2

Each to their own I say.

I've dated girls and guys before and am currently very happy with my fella but then again should things go wrong and I get an offer from a girl then I will take it.

In fact I have actually dated more girls than guys and no-one has ever had a problem with this. My fella finds it quite a turn-on that I don't object to FFM three-somes actually ;)

a13antichrist

Guys are afraid of homosexuality for the same reason that they are incapable of having good friendships with women they're attracted to.

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
I'm partially homophobic, i can have gay friends without a problem, i can hug men or be hugged by men and it won't matter to me (there's a limit in this as well, but it applies to any person). But my homophobia starts when they flirt with me, i just can't stand it, i can even go full agressive mode with the guy if he is persistent. Something that won't happen if a girl was doing the very same thing.

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
Luis G said:
I'm partially homophobic, i can have gay friends without a problem, i can hug men or be hugged by men and it won't matter to me (there's a limit in this as well, but it applies to any person). But my homophobia starts when they flirt with me, i just can't stand it, i can even go full agressive mode with the guy if he is persistent. Something that won't happen if a girl was doing the very same thing.
That's your choice, and it should be respected. I, personally, feel the same way. I don't like guys flirting with me, and, if it happens (it happened before), I'll let them know that it is unappreciated. If it continues, then I'll get quite rude. I haven't had to get into physical altercations, though, and, unless they throw the first punch, I won't let it get that far. I'd most likely walk away. What you described, though, is more on the lines of sexual harrassment than homophobia.

chcr

Too cute for words
I don't like guys flirting with me, and, if it happens (it happened before), I'll let them know that it is unappreciated. If it continues, then I'll get quite rude
Me too, Gato.I used to be a musician, I know a lot of gay people. Despite what you hear, most of them are perfectly normal. I laaugh at jackasses who say they can tell. In any case, I've never had anyone who wouldn't back off when I asked them to.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
I hate everybody until they give me a reason to stop. Does that count?

Dave

i used to work in a section of boston that had a high percentage of gay men. i was hit on more than a few times. at first i was very uncomfortable with the advances, but i actually got used to it and learned how to turn them down without being rude or condescending. since then, i have worked with and met numerouse gays and i have no problem with them.

Vortex

As for being homophobic, the way I looked at it was that unless if I had much interaction with a homosexual, I wouldn't really know if I was scared I was gonna get homo cooties or something. :p

But then when a very close friend of mine came out of the closet, and addmitted they were homosexual, I didn't regect them or anything like that, it didn't change who they were.

Your sexual orientation doesn't change a thing about you ^_^

Raven

Annoying SOB
Well I'll just say I have or have had at one point gay, lesbian and bi friends. So no I dont really see myself as a homophobe

steweygrrrr said:
Well I'll just say I have or have had at one point gay, lesbian and bi friends. So no I dont really see myself as a homophobe

I've got bi and gay friends, to be honest i feel the same as luis and Gato on this matter.

Raven

Annoying SOB
aaah the flirting thing. Just take that with a sackfull of salt like I do and you'll be fine. I dont count that as homophobia really

a13antichrist

I personally couldn't care less if a guy hits on me. He's just making an effort to get something he wants, so who am I to hold that against him? I react precisely the same way as I do if an ugly chick tries it.