101 Amazing Facts About Earth

Rose

101 Amazing Earth Facts - with a bit of opinion mixed in.
(I use the word "facts" because that's what MSN uses. Personally, I don't agree with most of the stuff in there, but it's a good read nonetheless.)

50. Is Earth’s core solid?
The inner portion of the core is thought to be solid. But the outer portion of the core appears molten. We’ve never been there though, so scientists aren’t sure of the exact composition. A radical Hollywoodlike idea was recently put forth to blow a crack in the planet and send a probe down there to learn more. An interesting bit of recent evidence shows Mars’ core may be similarly squishy. Scientists figured this out by studying tides on Mars (tides on Mars?).

See, I'm thinking leave it alone and don't even think about probing the Earth's core. Do we really need to know? Really?

I cant remember where from but apparantly the earts core is actually a 5 mile wide ball of uranium not a 40 mile ball of nickel/iron as previously thought

Rose said:
See, I'm thinking leave it alone and don't even think about probing..... Do we really need to know? Really?

:retard: For a second there I thought I was reading a 'Gonz' post in the Real World forum....:D

Rose said:
See, I'm thinking leave it alone and don't even think about probing the Earth's core. Do we really need to know? Really?

I really see no reason why not. There could be benefits though likely such knowledge would be exploited but knowing does not hurt.

Did you no there is no gravity in the core of the Earth.

Rose said:
(tides on Mars?).

Magnetic tides...shifts in the magnetic field caused by the rotation of the core within it's lava 'ocean'. Without a core...there is no magnetic poles...like on the moon.

MrBishop said:
Magnetic tides...shifts in the magnetic field caused by the rotation of the core within it's lava 'ocean'. Without a core...there is no magnetic poles...like on the moon.

Well Mars is believed to have a core.

Buttcrackdivine said:
I really see no reason why not. There could be benefits though likely such knowledge would be exploited but knowing does not hurt.

I think such research would end up exposing us all to strange new strains of virii and bacteria...:sick:

Squiggy said:
I think such research would end up exposing us all to strange new strains of virii and bacteria...:sick:

Umm...i do agree life has a tendency tosurvive in extreme temperatures....but no life can exist at such depths and temperatures...unless Satan is there and he has a flaming case of STDs...such that never have been seen before.

Buttcrackdivine said:
Umm...i do agree life has a tendency tosurvive in extreme temperatures....but no life can exist at such depths and temperatures...unless Satan is there and he has a flaming case of STDs...such that never have been seen before.

Maybe not the life as you know it, but life can beat that i'm possitive.

I just dont think we should mess with good-enough too much. I mean, I don't think we could possibly learn enough useful knowledge by drilling to the center of the earth. I'm more worried about how the earth will react to such drilling. What will happen?

Luis G said:
but life can beat that i'm possitive.

You are talking about micobes standing temperature 0f 3000+ degrees...and that's in a upward regions where it is cool. I don't think any combination of enzymes could sustain activity in such heat. The four base pairs Adenine, Guanine, Cytosine, and thymine can't stand such heat to form nuclotides.

Buttcrackdivine said:
You are talking about micobes standing temperature 0f 3000+ degrees...and that's in a upward regions where it is cool. I don't think any combination of enzymes could sustain activity in such heat. The four base pairs Adenine, Guanine, Cytosine, and thymine can't stand such heat to form nuclotides.

but see, the whole point is we don't know what sort of 'things' can stand the heat. there could be a whole new world down there, so to speak. Not that I think so, but it's possible.

Rose said:
I'm more worried about how the earth will react to such drilling. What will happen?

Nothing much will happen besides a few man made volcanos. However, your wish will probably come true because man is nowhere near building such a material that can take such heat and pressure.

That still, however, doesn't explain why you disagree with the info on that link.

Rose said:
but see, the whole point is we don't know what sort of 'things' can stand the heat. there could be a whole new world down there, so to speak. Not that I think so, but it's possible.

I have more chance of being struck by lighting just exact 2 seconds after winning the powerball lottery while being sex tortured by Heidi Klum....while pigs flying over then the chances of finding life that can survive in MOLTEN ROCK.

Buttcrackdivine said:
Nothing much will happen besides a few man made volcanos. However, your wish will probably come true because man is nowhere near building such a material that can take such heat and pressure.

That still, however, doesn't explain why you disagree with the info on that link.

I don't disagree with all the info, just parts of it. I'm not a fan of believing the earth is millions and billions of years old. I've always thought of it as several thousand years old, but not millions. I'm not a fan of the big-bang theory, so to speak. Or some of the theories made in there about what earth and the solar system was like 'millions' of years ago. I suppose scientists know what they are doing, but can they really prove it? I just don't buy it.

Buttcrackdivine said:
I have more chance of being struck by lighting just exact 2 seconds after winning the powerball lottery while being sex tortured by Heidi Klum....while pigs flying over then the chances of finding life that can survive in MOLTEN ROCK.

You're probably right, but that doesn't mean the chance isn't there. ;)

Back