101 Amazing Facts About Earth

Rose said:
I don't disagree with all the info, just parts of it. I'm not a fan of believing the earth is millions and billions of years old. I've always thought of it as several thousand years old, but not millions. I'm not a fan of the big-bang theory, so to speak. Or some of the theories made in there about what earth and the solar system was like 'millions' of years ago. I suppose scientists know what they are doing, but can they really prove it? I just don't buy it.

Why not? It's amazing why you find this to be false. You think earth is several thousand years old?????? I am completely flabbergasted by that statement. Ok so bigbang can be falsified but it is quite hard to since actual TANGIBLE evidence for it exists but it still has a chance to be proven wrong.

I suppose scientists know what they are doing, but can they really prove it?

Yes they can...they have....

Buttcrackdivine said:
Why not? It's amazing why you find this to be false. You think earth is several thousand years old?????? I am completely flabbergasted by that statement.

I'm not religious. But I tend to lean more towards creationism than evolutionism/big bang. When I was younger I read works by an australian scientist and to me he made the most sense. I'll have to find a link if I can.

Again, I don't disagree with everything in the article - it's hard to dispute the highest mountain or worst earthquake in history. *hehe* :)

Rose said:
I'm not religious. But I tend to lean more towards creationism than evolutionism/big bang. When I was younger I read works by an australian scientist and to me he made the most sense. I'll have to find a link if I can.

Again, I don't disagree with everything in the article - it's hard to dispute the highest mountain or worst earthquake in history. *hehe* :)

Yes, but what bothers me is that you don't believe in the most fundemental of things in science and about Earth. I mean come on...Earth only a several thousand years old.......there wouldn't be even land mass, atmosphere, water if that was true.

Buttcrackdivine said:
Yes, but what bothers me is that you don't believe in the most fundemental of things in science and about Earth. I mean come on...Earth only a several thousand years old.......there wouldn't be even land mass, atmosphere, water if that was true.

Why do you say that? I'm thinking 20-50 thousand year range. Definately not millions.

a few years ago, some people were convinced that no organisim could stand the pressure of 10,000m of water columns over your body, and then they find out they were wrong.

Rose said:
Why do you say that? I'm thinking 20-50 thousand year range. Definately not millions.

*tries to calm down for this answer*.....well because even collecting the dust needed to form a planet of this size takes thousand of years. Then you need gravity to supress that into a thickened core to start a nuclear reaction. This alone takes the time span you believe is the age of this Earth. Now if you look at ocean floors the rocks there alone are 200 million + years and rocks in deserts have been found 3+ billion years old through carbon dating. Rocks on Moon are found to be older than that and please tell me you atleast believe that earth is older than the moon.

I am just going to stop here before i get hated on by more people...i just dug my self out of a grave before...no need to venture back in again.

Buttcrackdivine said:
*tries to calm down for this answer*.....well because even collecting the dust needed to form a planet of this size takes thousand of years. Then you need gravity to supress that into a thickened core to start a nuclear reaction. This alone takes the time span you believe is the age of this Earth. Now if you look at ocean floors the rocks there alone are 200 million + years and rocks in deserts have been found 3+ billion years old through carbon dating. Rocks on Moon are found to be older than that and please tell me you atleast believe that earth is older than the moon.

I am just going to stop here before i get hated on by more people...i just dug my self out of a grave before...no need to venture back in again.

According to your beliefs there's no way the earth can be in it's thousands - you obviously dont' believe in creation (or any variation thereof?) According to my belief the planet wasn't formed by dust and gravity and such. :shrug: But it's all personal belief. It's one of those things we'll never know, most likely.

I don't care much for carbon dating. Last I knew the results were highly inaccurate as you must know how much carbon the item you're dating (laugh) originally had. Well, if you're dating something that doesn't exist now, then you can only conclude how much carbon it had to begin with, thereby guessing it's age. 'Nother :shrug: I've not read up on carbon dating in quite some time, years even, so it's reliability may be different now.

I suppose we all gotta believe something and this is what I chose to believe as it seems to work a little better for me than some of the other theories. :D You're free to believe as you will and discuss as you will. Afterall, that's what discussion boards are for! :D

According to my belief the planet wasn't formed by dust and gravity and such. :shrug: But it's all personal belief.

Now you don't believe in gravity either...sweetie it's holding your PC down as look at my post.

You're free to believe as you will and discuss as you will. Afterall, that's what discussion boards are for! :D

I thought that too. Apprently it isn't true. Popularity contests take over what would seem to be a sensible institution to express ones ideas and beliefs but however one can screw himself/herself by expressing ideas that go aginst the majority of beliefs. I respect your beliefs and i understand why you choose them.

BTW carbon dating is a lot more reliable than you think.

*lol* I didn't mean to imply I don't believe in gravity. ;) It's more that I don't believe it had a forming basis in the creation of Earth, so much.

I'm really not good with debates. And this is about as far as you'll get out of my religious beliefs. *hehe* Even my dear friend George hasn't been able to pry me into a discussion about that.

Rose said:
*lol* I didn't mean to imply I don't believe in gravity. ;) It's more that I don't believe it had a forming basis in the creation of Earth, so much.

errrr..umm....butt....arrghhhhh...ok never mind...too easy to tackle.

BCD - it's a matter of faith...and creationists would have you believe that the 'evidence' that you're seeing, digging up etc...was placed there in order to placate the sceptics. After all...if God could create the universe in 6 days...how much time could it possibly take to manufacture a past which did not actually exist.

You can't argue against creationists...any more than you can vs. the flat-earth people, or those that think that Friends is a good show. It's just not possible. :)

MrBishop said:
You can't argue against creationists...any more than you can vs. the flat-earth people, or those that think that Friends is a good show. It's just not possible. :)

just for the record, i'm not a creationist. I just tend to lean more towards that thinking than towards other thinking. :blush:

:D

:swing: <-- leaning :)

Rose said:
just for the record, i'm not a creationist. I just tend to lean more towards that thinking than towards other thinking. :blush:

:D

:swing: <-- leaning :)

Not calling you one Rose...just that BCD seems to be arguing with you as if you were.

I'm not entirely convinced by the whole big-bang theory either...I'm a science junkie, and I have a degree in Anthropology, with Archaeology thrown in there to boot, so I know where BCD is coming from.

BCD - Carbon dating isn't that exact...they're disproving or 'recalculating' every year..based on new math etc...

Luis - Friends? You poor poor soul...please watch West-Wing before you forget what real TV is supposed to be like

MrBishop said:
Luis - Friends? You poor poor soul...please watch West-Wing before you forget what real TV is supposed to be like

don't watch them all the time, just sporadically, in fact, last time i turned on the tv was like 2 weeks ago and that was because i had no monitor at the time. And before that, my tv was turned off for more than 3 months.

Rose said:
I don't care much for carbon dating. Last I knew the results were highly inaccurate as you must know how much carbon the item you're dating (laugh) originally had. Well, if you're dating something that doesn't exist now, then you can only conclude how much carbon it had to begin with, thereby guessing it's age.

Sorry sweety but you know exactly how much carbon you are dating because you are dating Carbon 15(14?) which is a radioactive isotope of carbon that is found in all living things. Since we know the half-life of this isotope we can just gauge the amount of radiation emitted to verify the objects age.

So its damn accurate to a few thousand years

steweygrrrr said:
Sorry sweety but you know exactly how much carbon you are dating because you are dating Carbon 15(14?) which is a radioactive isotope of carbon that is found in all living things. Since we know the half-life of this isotope we can just gauge the amount of radiation emitted to verify the objects age.

So its damn accurate to a few thousand years

:shrug: Few thousand? How the hell does carbon dating remain accurate to the "millions" or "billions" of years then?

What I meant is we can date it to a few thou' of its true age because we know ho long it takes the radiation to diminish by half of its original level. We also know its starting level. So we use the deficit in the 2 numbers to get the age

Back