30 days

tonksy

Some people seem to forget that these people have been living like that for generations. They are accustomed to it.
Instead of viewing the situation like "Gee, I wanna have a decent job, a decent place - I'm gonna illegally move my family yo where I can get that" They need to think "Gee, how can I have that here?".
When your ship is starting to sink you don't just jump out without trying to save it.

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
tonksy said:
Some people seem to forget that these people have been living like that for generations. They are accustomed to it.
Instead of viewing the situation like "Gee, I wanna have a decent job, a decent place - I'm gonna illegally move my family yo where I can get that" They need to think "Gee, how can I have that here?".
When your ship is starting to sink you don't just jump out without trying to save it.

Ohhh no, it is the goverment's fault that the ship sinked so nobody should do a damn thing about it. We should expect the goverment to come here and rescue us too. [/typical mexican]

chcr

Too cute for words
tonksy said:
I'd say that depends on how fast you think it's going down.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
spike said:
Not a big deal. So, if you or your family lived like this you wouldn't do everything thing you could to get them out of the situation?

My family lived in a boxcar as my grandfather worked for the Railroad in southern Arizona in the teens & 20's. My moms side had several hundred acres of farmland in Mississippi. Neither had running water, refrigeration nor sewers. I know about hardship & hard work. It doesn't scare me.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
tonksy said:

Generational welfare families. It ain't the white guys fault either.

tonksy

I can appreciate the reasons for coming here. Having lived in several foreign countries, I have seen how a lot of the world lives and I know I prefer the easy lifestyle we have here. But rules is rules and crimes is crimes. You always have legitimate options. there are ways to come here legally - as my Mother did.
I just can't feel for people that haven't tried the legitimate ways first.

chcr

Too cute for words
tonksy said:
Then your ass is without a boat :shrug:
Better than drowning trying to save it, wouldn't you say? Speaking metaphorically, of course. I personally think that most people take the path of least resistance and it's much easier to come to the US than it is to address the (perceived) problems in their own country. Until we make it harder to come here than it is to stay there it won't stop. It won't even slow down.

Professur

Gonz said:
My family lived in a boxcar as my grandfather worked for the Railroad in southern Arizona in the teens & 20's. My moms side had several hundred acres of farmland in Mississippi. Neither had running water, refrigeration nor sewers. I know about hardship & hard work. It doesn't scare me.

Oddly enough, on Dad's side of the family, for at least 7 generations ... we've been city dwellers. On Mum's side, however, I'm the first generation off the farm. She grew up without running water or indoor toilets. Many's the time I've heard about having to go out and chop the ice off the top of the well to get water in the mornings. And they weren't getting to wait for it to heat up any before washing up and getting on with the morning chores.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Chores, breakfast, chores, school, chores, chores, homework, chores, bed.

Life is much easier today.

Professur

chcr said:
Better than drowning trying to save it, wouldn't you say? Speaking metaphorically, of course. I personally think that most people take the path of least resistance and it's much easier to come to the US than it is to address the (perceived) problems in their own country. Until we make it harder to come here than it is to stay there it won't stop. It won't even slow down.
It's called laziness. Small wonder the mexican gov't is encouraging them to leave. Anyone with any drive (which would actually be welcome) isn't leaving, but is staying to fix what they can.

spike

Professur said:
It's called laziness. Small wonder the mexican gov't is encouraging them to leave. Anyone with any drive (which would actually be welcome) isn't leaving, but is staying to fix what they can.

This Dad had a lot of drive to make a better life for his family and he took the option that would be best for them. Even the minuteman said he would have got his family out of there as fast as possible after seeing the situation they came from.

This wasn't comparable to a family that owns enough land to have a farm. This was a small shell of a house with no floor and a makeshift piece of corrugated steel set on top for a roof.

No farm to work at or any other type of employment to be had. There's no way I would keep my family living like this for years while I made some futile attempt to fix the country. What the hell was he going to do to fix thigs anyway?

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
I kinda wish I had seen that show. Was it informative at all? Or did it end up being just like wife swap?

spike

Leslie said:
I kinda wish I had seen that show. Was it informative at all? Or did it end up being just like wife swap?

I think it gave a pretty good feel for why the minuteman was so strongly against illegal immigration and also why the family felt such a strong need to come here.

While the minuteman is still against illegal immigration and the family still thinks it was their best option they were able to see each other as people and individuals and understand the others viewpoint. I think this encourages a solution much better than knee-jerk reactions and generalizations.

They became very close in the month and everyone was in tears when it was time to go. The minuteman has offered to sponsor the family if they will go back to mexico and come legally.

While Wife Swap may not be informative it sure cracks me up sometimes. :)

spike

Leslie said:
That God-Woman was the best!! :D

That crazy woman who stayed with the New Age family? Man, I was glued to my seat watching her lose her mind! She even ripped up the evil money at the end or something. :grinno:

I did feel a little sorry for her kids.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
spike said:
No farm to work at or any other type of employment to be had. There's no way I would keep my family living like this for years while I made some futile attempt to fix the country. What the hell was he going to do to fix thigs anyway?

It's all broken. Maybe we ought to take it over.

chcr

Too cute for words
Professur said:
Yeah, that must be all it is...

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
spike said:
That crazy woman who stayed with the New Age family? Man, I was glued to my seat watching her lose her mind! She even ripped up the evil money at the end or something. :grinno:

I did feel a little sorry for her kids.
I was hoping teh welfare would look into those kids :eh:

But I sure was glued to their episode. She was just absolutely shockingly ill.