A case of DNR vs. GVT

Thulsa Doom

dont you get money just for your spouse being "perminantly incapacitated"? why does he need her to be dead? are you saying if he divorces her before she dies that he forfits any inheritance and therefor he wants her to die first so he can get the money? hasnt the press rooted up all these details yet? seems to me it would be obvious if thats what he was doing. personally i think he should renounce any money gains from his wife's death so theres no clouds hanging over his declaration that he is doing this all for her.

Squiggy said:
You can't "kill" her for any reason. Thats pro active and murder. But continuing or even beginning support is a different story. If she is failing with little to no chance of a reasonable recovery, yes, you can discontinue the support. If she has iron poor blood and you want to put a bullet in her head, no.

ok what about locking the kitchen so she cant eat?

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
TD said:
why does he need her to be dead?

If it looks like fishy & it tastes like fishy, it has to be fishy.

Pure assumption on my part. My theory on what I know. He strangled her to the point of unconsciousness/heart attack. Before she died, he let go. Thinking she'd die,he waited then called 911 (it wasn't immediate, that much I seem to recall). Since there were no obvious signs of abuse they didn't begin an investigation. He knows that, upon autopsy, they can tell if that was the case...even 13 years later. He also knows that with an autopsy thay can determine many other things. He doesn't want that. If she receicves therapy & gets beter, she may be able to implicate him on abuse or attempted murder. Her living is standing in the way of his freedom.

Thulsa Doom

eh... hey may not be mr. nice guy in this but thats one serious conspiracy theory you have going there. i tend to be leary of hard core conspiracy theories in cases such as this. but i am curious though: how exactly do you strangle someone to the point of having a heart attack?

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
TD said:
how exactly do you strangle someone to the point of having a heart attack?

Hell if I know. :D

If you find out let me know, it may come in handy someday.

Look at the probable cause:
He doesn't call 911 immediately.
He fights to have her die. For 13 years.
He denies her therapy in any form (assisting her demise).
He demands immediate cremation.
He resists any & all calls for her to be allowed to live.
He refuses last rites-in case she swallows on her own.
He refuses her family admittance to her bedside.

That is based on the little I actually know. Worthy of an investigation?

MrBishop

What if...and this is a stretch...what if...he actually doesn't want her to suffer anymore. We're talking 13 YEARS hee folx...not 13 months, or 13 weeks...Years. He's only ben trying to have her euthanized for the past 3. If it was just the money issue, wouldn't it have been better to do it after hmmm 2years? That's a long time to wait for money. Where was the family during those 13 years? Why did they just show up now? Maybe THEY started seeing dollar signs. If he doesn't inherit, they do. Next of kin and all that.

MrBishop

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The timeline in the case of Terri Schiavo, who had her feeding tube removed Wednesday after a six-year legal battle between her husband and parents.[/font] [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]_ Feb. 25, 1990: Terri Schiavo collapses in her home. Doctors believe a potassium imbalance caused her heart to stop, temporarily cutting off oxygen to her brain.
_ Nov. 1992: Terri's husband, Michael, wins malpractice suit that accused doctors of misdiagnosing his wife; jury awards more than more than $700,000 for her care, Michael receives an additional $300,000.
_ Feb. 14, 1993: Terri Schiavo's parents, Bob and Mary Schindler, have a falling out with Michael over the malpractice suit money and Terri's care.
_ July 29, 1993: Bob and Mary Schindler file petition to have Michael Schiavo removed as Terri's guardian. The case is later dismissed.
_ May 1998: Michael Schiavo files petition to remove Terri's feeding tube.
_ Feb. 11, 2000: Circuit Judge George W. Greer rules feeding tube can be removed.
_ Jan. 24, 2001: 2nd District Court of Appeal upholds Greer's decision.
_ March 29, 2001: Greer rules feeding tube to be removed April 20.
_ April 18, 2001: Florida Supreme Court refuses to intervene in the case.
_ April 20, 2001: U.S. District Judge Richard Lazzara grants the Schindlers a stay until April 23 to exhaust appeals.
_ April 23, 2001: U.S. Supreme Court refuses to intervene.
_ April 24, 2001: Feeding tube is removed from Terri Schiavo.
_ April 26, 2001: Circuit Judge Frank Quesada orders doctors to reinsert Terri's feeding tube; the Schindlers pursue lawsuit against Michael Schiavo, accusing him of committing perjury by saying his wife did not want to be kept on life support.
_ April 30, 2001: Lawyers for Michael Schiavo file emergency motion with appellate court asking it to order removal of Terri's feeding tube.
_ July 11, 2001: 2nd District Court of Appeal sends case back to Judge Greer.
_ July 18, 2001: Schindlers ask Greer to let their doctors evaluate Terri before making a final decision on removing the feeding tube.
_ Aug. 10, 2001: Greer denies the Schindlers' evaluation request, as well as their request to remove Michael Schiavo as guardian.
_ Sept. 26, 2001: Schindlers' attorneys argue before 2nd District Court of Appeal, citing testimony from seven doctors who say Terri can recover with the right treatment.
_ Oct. 3, 2001: 2nd District Court of Appeal delays removal of feeding tube indefinitely.
_ Oct. 17, 2001: 2nd District Court of Appeal rules that five doctors can examine Terri to determine whether she has any hope of recovery. Two doctors are picked by the Schindlers, two are picked by Michael Schiavo and one is picked by the court.
_ Feb. 13, 2002: Mediation attempts fail; Michael Schiavo again seeks to be allowed to remove Terri's feeding tube.
_ Oct. 12, 2002: Weeklong hearing begins in the case. Three doctors, including the one appointed by the court, testify that Terri is in a persistent, vegetative state with no hope of recovery. The two doctors selected by the Schindlers say she can recover.
_ Nov. 12, 2002: The Schindlers' attorney says medical records suggest Terri's condition may have been brought on by physical abuse, and asks for more time to get more evidence.
_ Nov. 22, 2002: Judge Greer rules that there is no evidence that Terri has any hope of recovery and orders feeding tube to be removed Jan. 3, 2003.
_ Dec. 13, 2002: Judge Greer stays order to remove feeding tube on Jan. 3 until the 2nd District Court of Appeal reviews the case.
_April 4, 2003: Schindlers' attorneys ask Second District Court of Appeal panel to "err on the side of life" and overturn Greer's ruling.
_June 6, 2003: 2nd District Court of Appeal upholds Greer's ruling.
_July 15, 2003: The 2nd District Court of Appeal refuses to rehear the case.
_Aug. 22, 2003: The Florida Supreme Court declines to hear case.
_Sept. 2, 2003: Schindlers take case to federal court seeking judicial intervention.
_Sept. 17, 2003: Judge Greer sets Oct. 15 date for removal of tube.
_Oct. 3, 2003: Attorney General Charlie Crist says he won't get involved in case.
_Oct. 7, 2003: Gov. Jeb Bush files a federal court brief urging Terri Schiavo be kept alive.
_Oct. 10, 2003: U.S. District Judge Lazzara rules he does not have jurisdiction to intervene in case.
_Oct. 13, 2003: Protesters and Schindler family begin 24-hour vigil at Pinellas Park hospice where Terri Schiavo lives.
_Oct. 14, 2003: 2nd District Court of Appeal again refuses to block tube removal; Schindler attorneys declare legal options exhausted.
_Oct. 15, 2003: Doctors remove feeding tube; Bush pledges to search for possible legal options to resume feedings.
_Oct. 17, 2003: Two state courts reject the Schindler's request to reinsert the feeding tube.
_Oct. 20, 2003: The Florida House of Representatives votes to give governor the power to issue a stay in the feeding tube dispute.
_Oct. 21, 2003: The Senate and House agree on legislation allowing Bush to intervene. He signs the bill, then issues an order to reinsert the tube. Morton Plant Hospital begins rehydrating Terri Schiavo, six days after her feeding tube was removed. A judge rejects a request by her husband's attorney to temporarily restrain the governor's order.
[/font]

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
MrBishop said:
He's only been trying to have her euthanized for the past 3. If it was just the money issue, wouldn't it have been better to do it after hmmm 2years? That's a long time to wait for money. Where was the family during those 13 years? Why did they just show up now? Maybe THEY started seeing dollar signs. If he doesn't inherit, they do. Next of kin and all that.

Feb. 14, 1993: Terri Schiavo's parents, Bob and Mary Schindler, have a falling out with Michael over the malpractice suit money and Terri's care.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
I'm not here to try this guy. I'm basing my assumptions on very shaky & quickly gathered information. But, in the little I've seen, if I were on a grand jury, I'd ask for an investigation.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Now there's no questioning his guilt :D

The American Civil Liberties Union said Thursday that it will aid Michael Schiavo in his fight against Gov. Jeb Bush and the Florida Legislature, which earlier this week took the remarkable step of passing a law to prevent the Pinellas County man from disconnecting his brain-injured wife from a feeding tube.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
WND said:
At the press conference, Terri's family and several doctors also stressed it is debatable whether she is in a persistent vegetative state, or PVS, despite court rulings labeling her as such.

WorldNetDaily has reported Terri sustained brain damage when she mysteriously collapsed in 1990 at the age of 26 and oxygen was cut to her brain for several minutes. Terri breathes and maintains a heart beat and blood pressure on her own. She can see and move her limbs. But she needs a feeding tube to sustain her life.

The Schindlers, who have been fighting with their son-in-law for 10 years argue Terri is alert, responsive and vocalizes, and given appropriate therapy can improve. WorldNetDaily has reported their opinion is buttressed by that of nearly a dozen physicians who signed sworn affidavits that she is not PVS – affidavits Greer rejected as evidence. The physicians offered their opinions after viewing videotape of Terri taken during a court-ordered evaluation. Some doctors have offered pro-bono treatment for her, which her husband declines.

WorldNetDaily has reported that in the first couple of years after her collapse Terri received rehabilitative therapy and progressed to the point of saying "no," according to nurses' notes. She would also say, "yes" and "stop that," according to her parents. But in 1993, following the malpractice-suit awards, the therapy was discontinued and Terri was relocated by her husband to one nursing home and then another before ultimately being moved to a hospice in 2000 where she remains.

During a covert therapy session, Robert Schindler reports his daughter sat bolt upright and tried to get our of her chair when told by a therapist over the telephone she was sentenced to die.

WND

AnomalousEntity

One of the worst things you can do is artificially tourture..(I mean prolong ) the dying process for someone when there is zero chance of recovery. A few months is inhumane, but 13 years.....I wouldnt wish that kind of hellish exsistence on the most evil men alive.

freako104

true but she seems supposedly to be doing better although i agree with you on that and am for euthanasia. but to starve her to death is just as bad(though I had a teacher say its not a bad way to die since the hunger eventually goes away and there is no suffering. howver there are more humane ways to die.)

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
AnomalousEntity said:
..(I mean prolong ) the dying process for someone when there is zero chance of recovery.

I agree. This does not appear to be one of those cases.

AnomalousEntity

freako104 said:
true but she seems supposedly to be doing better although i agree with you on that and am for euthanasia. but to starve her to death is just as bad(though I had a teacher say its not a bad way to die since the hunger eventually goes away and there is no suffering. howver there are more humane ways to die.)

That is true.

The "feeling" of hunger only lasts about few days to a week.

After that it sort of hits you intermittently for another 2 to 3 weeks and then it goes away completel.

I know from personal experience but for personal reasons I wont go into it. Lets just say I survived on moslty cokes and an occassional order of fries for well over a month last november-december.

I would add that your immune system and ability to fight off things like stress and infection goes to near zero at around 3 -4 weeks...after that you start getting physically sick but for reasons other than hunger.

Also if you have any metabolic disorders like thyroid, diabetes, kidney problems etc you wont last nearly as long before you start having problems.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Leslie had a more updated part of this story but I couldn't find it. It isn't her but the story is worth looking at.

HUTCHINSON, Kan. (AP) - For 20 years, Sarah Scantlin has been mostly oblivious to the world around her - the victim of a drunken driver who struck her down as she walked to her car. Today, after a remarkable recovery, she can talk again.

Scantlin's father knows she will never fully recover, but her newfound ability to speak and her returning memories have given him his daughter back. For years, she could only blink her eyes - one blink for "no," two blinks for "yes" - to respond to questions that no one knew for sure she understood.

"I am astonished how primal communication is. It is a key element of humanity," Jim Scantlin said, blinking back tears.

Source