Americans sign petition to repeal the First Amendment

2minkey

bootlicker
The bullhorn will get dropped when we're all talking the same language.

Progressive, in a matter of state, has a meaning. It's not related to progress.

no one has suggested that "progress" and "progressive" are the same thing. that would be as dumb as suggesting that "popular" and "populist" are the same thing.

it would also be quite dumb to ignore one the massive driving forces behind the progressive movement as you use it with specific reference to its history in the US when that force is obviously in full fucking swing in china.

hmmm, what was happening in the US in the late 19th and early 20th centuries? oh this is a hard one... oh, yeah, MODERNIZATION. what's going on in china right now? do you think the forces that undergird modernity are any less significant than, well, anything else? that would be a tough argument. in fact one could argue quite forcefully that ECONOMIC MODERNIZATION is the defining characteristic of 20th century america and 21st century china and a lot of other places.

nah, let's just ignore all that.

:lol2:

2minkey

bootlicker
Progressive has meant American Communist (OK, minkey, not exactly, but for point of reference it's close enough) since (I thought) the 19teens.

no, it does not. you just want to call people commies and label things bad.

catocom

ok, lemme get this straight...
winky called me Tofu?
Oh, OH! now I'm pissed.
:lol2:

But I thought they said capitalist were evil now.
man this new wave stuff makes my head swim.
I'm glad I got a book to go by. It don't change.

ResearchMonkey

See Cat, its all big communist plot to make it all confusing. While you ponder it all, they take away your beef and replace it with Tofu.

Simple really.

catocom

ick
do we get any soybean bbq sauce for it?

I'm liable to flip out and go hannibal lecter on um.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Oxford said:
populist

• noun a member or supporter of a political party who seeks to appeal to or represent the interests and views of ordinary people.

Just thought I'd throw that in, for shits ~n~ giggles

2minkey

bootlicker
here you go gonz.

seems like you and beck might have a lot of common ground.

"OK, we already knew that Glenn Beck is an ignoramus about economics. Last night, in a brief guest appearance on Bill O'Reilly's show, Beck let slip that he's an ignoramus about political ideologies.

Now, we've been saying for a long time that Beck is a right-wing populist; lately, a number of other observers have reached the same conclusion.
So Beck has been making special note of being called a populist, and in his guest appearance on The O'Reilly Factor, he talked about it:
Beck: The second thing is, is that -- you know, I was called -- who was it that called me today, "a populist"? I'm not a populist! I've been saying this stuff when it was unpopular! I've got news for you: It's still pretty unpopular!
O'Reilly, who is not an ignoramus, corrected him: Populism indeed is politics built on appeals to "the people," or more precisely, "a political strategy, in which a personalistic leader seeks or exercises government power based on direct, unmediated, uninstitutionalized support from large numbers of mostly unorganized followers."

However, O'Reilly is quite incorrect when he says that being a populist means "you're not an ideologue": populists often are often highly ideological, but that ideology varies according to the precise brand of populism you're playing.

In any event, populism has nothing to do with being "popular." We know that Glenn's very popular right now, but really, that's not what we're talking about, big guy."

2minkey

bootlicker
The bullhorn will get dropped when we're all talking the same language.

Progressive, in a matter of state, has a meaning. It's not related to progress.

no shit sherlock.

economic modernization does not care whether you think it's "progress," but it does remain a core aspect of progressive-ISM
. you keep getting hung on on words that sound similar but do not mean the same things. or, wait, progressive and progress are different but populism and popular are the same. okay i think i got it now. right.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
direct, unmediated, uninstitutionalized support from large numbers of mostly unorganized followers."

Hey, they voted for American Idol too.

catocom

I'm frequently struck by the thought that catocom is the wisest person who posts here.

ah, I see...you're trying to sling-shot me into depression again.
It won't work, 'cause I'm already there. nanny nanny boo boo :p

Winky

Americans should sign a petition to repeal the Government.

So you are suffering from cabin fever, unemployed,
up there in the frozen wasteland of a country
you call home.

catocom

who me?

my latitude ain't that much north of yours.
32f atm, but it's supposed to get to 51f.

I just finish a de-virusing on a comp I gotta take back to woman
that's in a bad way with cancer. So I ain't got it bad compared to that.

Just chemical, and philosophical imbalances.
It's my nature. It runs in the family.

Winky

Phoenix is 33.4480°N
We are going to hit 22C today.
Yeah dying from cancer would be a downer.
I just wanna punch babies, got any?