America's Top Ten Driving Pet Peeves

Cerise said:
Haven't they ever heard of the "3 car lengths for every 10 mph" rule of thumb? Those gaps are there for a reason: Safety. If I let them in, I enable them to become a Piggybacker. :shrug:

:confused:

I can put my 18-wheeler in that gap.

Professur said:
HL, I told ya. Atlanta drivers are pussycats compared to the rest of the farm animals on the road. Sorry, pal. they just aren't that bad. Maybe it's just you?
Its not they are all the worst drivers of the world, its that the city has undergone a mass influx of immigration over the last 25 years. You have every conceivable driving style from all over the world at once. You have no idea if the guy in front of your is an insane Brazillian sprinter, or an Iowa random lanechange grandma, or a New York lane grab/harsh braker, or a Texas 'five cars past the red' roadwarrior. The person driving next to you might be the best driver in the world; there is no way to consistently judge it. Its all frenetic and psychotic.

unclehobart said:
Its not they are all the worst drivers of the world, its that the city has undergone a mass influx of immigration over the last 25 years. You have every conceivable driving style from all over the world at once. You have no idea if the guy in front of your is an insane Brazillian sprinter, or an Iowa random lanechange grandma, or a New York lane grab/harsh braker, or a Texas 'five cars past the red' roadwarrior. The person driving next to you might be the best driver in the world; there is no way to consistently judge it. Its all frenetic and psychotic.
Are we to assume then that you fit right in? ;)

I've driven in Atlanta, and while it wasn't the most pleasant experience I'd take it over driving in Miami any day!

I have a question I've wanted to ask for years. Gonz may be most qualified to answer it, but if anyone else know, please...

Preface: I am not bitching, just curious.

Many times while travelling on Interstate highways, I have both observed and been caught up in this. There is a lane closure somewhere. Construction, accident, debris...doesn't matter. At some point behind the lane closure, tractor trailers will block both lanes and creep along, sometimes leaving almost half a mile gap in front of them, but bottling traffic BEHIND them for many miles. Why? I realize that eventually everyone is gonna hafta merge, and the sooner it's done the quicker the traffic flows. But I have seen as many as three "rolling roadblocks" for the same lane closure. To my eye it extends the tie-up rather than resolving it.

SouthernN'Proud said:
To my eye it extends the tie-up rather than resolving it.

We get tired of watching the four wheelers line up, sometimes MILES past the LANE ENDS. MERGE AHEAD sign. So, instead of allowing the build up to occur in our windshield, we make it happen in our mirror. It'll happen either way but it sucks getting screwed by the lesser vehicles & their even more lesser occupants.

READ THE SIGN, follow its suggestion & there will be no slow down whatsoever (save the Road Workers; Give 'em a Brake)

Gonz said:
lesser vehicles & their even more lesser occupants.

You had me until that. I've always given more than I've taken with truck drivers. I realize that their brakes don't function like mine, their acceleration rate is different...but attitudes like that make me wonder.

READ THE SIGN, follow its suggestion & there will be no slow down whatsoever (save the Road Workers; Give 'em a Brake)

As I said the first time.

I give respect to truckers. But they need to remember one thing. They're not the only ones out there earning a living on the road. If they don't like that, then the Teamsters can funnel some of those union dues into building private highways of their own.

Professur said:
I give respect to truckers. But they need to remember one thing. They're not the only ones out there earning a living on the road. If they don't like that, then the Teamsters can funnel some of those union dues into building private highways of their own.

Oh I have a whole soap box full of this issue...but to a lesser extent:

I hate it when I use the "trucker" signal to flash my lights to signal a truck driver I am going to let them over, and then they don't use the "signal" back by blinking the red lights on the back of the truck to say Thank You.

I'm not really bothered by that, for one reason. When it's a car instead of another truck, they usually aren't looking for it, and probably didn't see it. I personally would rather their attention was focussed ahead.

I appreciate being told thanks, but it's not my reason for doing a good deed.

SouthernN'Proud said:
You had me until that. I've always given more than I've taken with truck drivers. I realize that their brakes don't function like mine, their acceleration rate is different...but attitudes like that make me wonder.

When you hit 3, 4, 5 of these things, per day & the exact same thing happens at each & every one of them & it's typically not the truck racing to get to the front of the line, the attitude is clearly understandable.

If the sign says move over & everybody moved over, there'd be no problem whatsoever. Watch construction zones, late at night, when damn near the only ones out are 18-wheelers. There may be dozen in a row...they scoot over & nobody slows down. Bring in one car, racing for the hole shot & BAM!!! there are brake lights. :shrug:

Back