annoying computer problem for the gurus

Dave

not a major problem, but an annoying and time consuming one.

whenever i play any type of video clip, then hit the sleep button, when i go back to use the computer again i frequently have to shut the power down and restart. sometimes i have to do this twice before it will fire up. occasionally this happens when i shut it down, but its rare.
i should clarify. the machine runs, but the screen remains dark.
the nvidia card is set as the primary video card.
the machine runs fine otherwise.

i have multiple spyware/adware/anti-virus/cleaner progs that i run regularly, so i doubt its any type of virus/trojan/whatever.

i have an e-machine t2200. it came with an s3 porsavage8 video card built in. i added an nvidia mx-440se video card. i'm running XP and the latest WMP. this happened prior to updateing the WMP also.

any ideas what is causing this?

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
Odd, how old is this xp install? Got SP2? Got a ton of other stuff installed too?

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
I'd have to venture and blame directx or the driver's implementation of directx.

Upgrade video drivers? :shrug:

Dave

xp came with the machine, which is a couple of years old now. i have sp2 and get updates automatically.
i have quick time and winamp also, but WMP is the default player for basically everything.
i tried installing updated drivers a while back and it still does it.

PT

Did you by chance install the beta DirectX 9 when it came out? I did and had to reformat to get it right again.

PT

Start, Run, Type in DxDiag. That will tell you what version you have now. As for telling whether you installed the beta, you should know. You had to download it seperately, it didn't show up on Windows Update til it was final. Well, as final as MS gets anyway.

PT

Also, while you have that up, click on the display tab, then test both direct3d and directdraw. See if you have the same problem as you do with vids, if you do, directx is most likely your problem. It can be a real bitch sometimes.

Dave

yeah.
did the tests and got this.

DirectDraw test results: Failure at step 5 (User verification of rectangles): HRESULT = 0x00000000 (error code)

Direct3D 7 test results: The tests were cancelled before completing.

Direct3D 8 test results: Failure at step 32 (User verification of Direct3D rendering): HRESULT = 0x00000000 (error code)

the screen flashed real quick. didnt see anything so i answered no

Dave

whoops.
the first test was for the s3 prosavage card.
the test for the nvidia was ok

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
Spot said:
yeah.

the screen flashed real quick. didnt see anything so i answered no

That happens often with directdraw, I thought the d3d tests were time controlled (insane FPS but slow motion), the might have changed it in this version of the test .

PT

I would try this first.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=2935

It will uninstall directx 9. Then go and reinstall it again. If you're still getting the same errors, you could have a problem with your vid card. Oh, after you reinstall directx 9, reinstall your vid card drivers as well.

edit: guess it would help if I actually put the link in....

Dave

i'll give that a shot tomorrow and let y'all know.

thank you PT and Luis. i appreciate it.