Another Gun Thread

paul_valaru

100% Pure Canadian Beef
Boy Shoots Self In Head With Uzi

(October 27, 2008)—An 8-year-old boy died over the weekend after he accidently shot himself in the head with an Uzi submachine gun.

The incident happened Sunday at a weapons show exposition in Massachusetts.

According to police, the boy lost control of the weapon while firing it at the Westfield Sportsman's Club.

The boy was under the supervision of an adult at the time.

Police say the force of the weapon made it "travel up and back" to the boy's head.

The boy was taken to an area hospital where he later died.

The boy's name was not immediately released.

Law enforcement officials say although the incident appears to be an accident, police and the Hampden District Attorney's office are investigating.

Efforts to reach officials with the private club were not immediately successful.

Link

What the hell was a 8 year old doing holding an Uzi?

Link

What the hell was a 8 year old doing holding an Uzi?

It was at the firing range and he was under supervision of a certified instructor as the law requires ,so nothing more to see here ,move along.

It is legal for children to fire a weapon if they have permission from a parent or legal guardian and are supervised by a properly certified and licensed instructor, Lt. Hipolito Nunez said.

Those conditions were met in this case, he said. He declined to release the supervisor's name.
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,444180,00.html

It's a common sense issue, you want to teach a kid to shoot, bolt action 22

not uzi full auto.

"Common sense" is an oxymoron. If it were actually "common" there'd be more of it, wouldn't there? Personally though, I don't think it's necessary for an eight year old to know how to fire a gun at all, is it?

"Common sense" is an oxymoron. If it were actually "common" there'd be more of it, wouldn't there? Personally though, I don't think it's necessary for an eight year old to know how to fire a gun at all, is it?

mmm, that's a big question...needs it's own thead prolly.

Personally though, I don't think it's necessary for an eight year old to know how to fire a gun at all, is it?

By the same token, it's not really necessary for them to learn to read beyond 6th grade either. Not particularly necessary for them to learn to tie shoelaces, wear a condom, find Mozambique on a globe or a thousand other things they learn in school, and never, ever use again in their entire lives. Necessary is an open term these days. I can think of several reasons for a child to learn to fire a gun, none of them fall under necessary. That doesn`t invalidate them as reasons tho.

Oddly enough, the primary reason I personally would (and will) teach my kids how to fire a gun is that they know full well what not to do with one. There's nothing like an object lesson for a child to drill home the point. Have a child fire a popgun then a .22 and he quickly learns that a .22 is no toy. Then have him hold an unloaded .38 and he won't soon forget the difference.

This is a sad case of a mistake made, under the best possible circumstances. No laws would have prevented this, so barking that guns are terrible is pointless. Was this his first time shooting this weapon? I dunno. His first time shooting any weapon? I highly doubt it, but it's possible. Were all the rules and regs followed? yup.

By the same token, it's not really necessary for them to learn to read beyond 6th grade either. Not particularly necessary for them to learn to tie shoelaces, wear a condom, find Mozambique on a globe or a thousand other things they learn in school, and never, ever use again in their entire lives. Necessary is an open term these days. I can think of several reasons for a child to learn to fire a gun, none of them fall under necessary. That doesn`t invalidate them as reasons tho.

Oddly enough, the primary reason I personally would (and will) teach my kids how to fire a gun is that they know full well what not to do with one. There's nothing like an object lesson for a child to drill home the point. Have a child fire a popgun then a .22 and he quickly learns that a .22 is no toy. Then have him hold an unloaded .38 and he won't soon forget the difference.

This is a sad case of a mistake made, under the best possible circumstances. No laws would have prevented this, so barking that guns are terrible is pointless. Was this his first time shooting this weapon? I dunno. His first time shooting any weapon? I highly doubt it, but it's possible. Were all the rules and regs followed? yup.

Oddly enough, I made no suggestion that you shouldn't teach your kids to shoot.

Oh, and it's absolutely imperative that your children learn to read above a sixth grade level and how to use a condom (etc., etc.). Perhaps not by the time they're in the third grade though. :rolleyes:

Personally though, I don't think it's necessary for an eight year old to know how to fire a gun at all, is it?

Oddly enough, I made no suggestion that you shouldn't teach your kids to shoot.

I addressed the "necessity" of it. I pointed out that "necessity" doesn't even come into it. I then stated some of my, personal, non-necessary reasons why I thought teaching at that age would be warranted. I did that in a separate paragraph. That's what all that extra spacing was all about. I then wasted another bunch of space making yet another paragraph addressing directly anyone wanting to make this into a reason to outlaw guns. At no time did I suggest or imply that you'd said 'you shouldn't teach your kids to shoot'. You may or may not have implied it, but I kept my answer to what actual words you used.

Oh, and it's absolutely imperative that your children learn to read above a sixth grade level and how to use a condom (etc., etc.). Perhaps not by the time they're in the third grade though. :rolleyes:

Personally, I disagree. In fact, I rather clearly said I do. It's pointless to teach Shakespeare to a classroom full of kids who aren't even going to enjoy it, let alone ever read it after leaving school. It serves no serious purpose beyond employing another teacher in a useless pursuit. What use is the anatomy of a worm to a truck driver? What need does a factory line worker have for the optical properties of glass submerged in water?

For the record, i know several people who's youth education ended at 6th grade and they're none the worse for it, being some of the most respected, intelligent people I've had the pleasure to meet. And oddly enough, several of the most useless people have the highest educations, one even pissed away money to a university for a degree he'll never use. Another has two jr. college degrees, neither of which serve any purpose in her job as an inventory clerk.

Minkey, i know ... but it was coming. i figured I'd head it off before it got started.

I grew up learning on a double barrel 20ga shotgun. It is the same one I taught my son on. When he was 5, I bought a realistic toy gun that is a replica of a double barrel and you can even load it with fake shells. I told him that even though it was a toy gun, he was to use it and treat it like a real gun (Check to see if it is loaded, always point in safe direction, etc...). I let him shoot the real thing when he was 6 (I used .410 inserts). He killed his first duck when he was 8 and has loved hunting ever since.

You have to take the time to train them right. Let them handle the gun unloaded as often as they want, just make sure you are there to correct any bad habits right away. Above all, Don't Push Them Past Their Comfort Level!!

you really think anyone here is THAT dumb?

yes. plenty of threads to prove it to.

a gun is a tool, like any other tool. in the right hands it will do its intended purpose. in thwe wrong hands it is dangerous. the difference between the right hands and the wrong hands is simple training and respect for the tool. just like a car, or a hammer, or a steam iron

i have been firing weapons since i was old enough to learn how to fire weapons. i own several, of varios caliburs and design. the children are aware of them, and the oldest has been trained some on the rifles. one day our second child had friends over and one of them started asking about the guns in the cabnet. she quickly but desisively told them that they weren't for playing and took her friends to a different room. that earned her a treat. my kids are more responsible around guns than some adults are.

Back