Anybody else Bowhunting this year?

Mirlyn

PuterTutor said:
That is exactly why they are doing it here. I drive about 55 miles to work every day, I see at least one dead deer on the road per week. That dead deer equals one car that is wrecked, some bad, some not so bad. Some, like my mother-in-law a couple years back, have the deer come through the windshield and shatter her face. Deer are a very reproductive species, a deer becomes nearly full grown within one year, and able to reproduce within two. When you have that kind of reproduction, combined with the fact that we have truly driven out almost all of their natural hunters, something has to be done to control the population.
My cousin was driving her boyfriend's jeep on the interstate in Iowa (~65 mph) and one came out of the woods at a full sprint, went through the soft-top side of the jeep's cover and out the other side. When I was in HS, one of my good friends was killed about a 1/2 mile from here from what they think was a swerve to miss a deer. My car drives rough due to flatspots on the tires from me narrowly missing one at 70mph a few months ago. Doesn't take much anymore to total a car from a deer accident. In fact, insurance premiums were to raise from one of the years because of the sharp increase in accidents. My grandfather told me a few years ago how all the body shops in the central IA region were backlogged several weeks due to the business.

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
PuterTutor said:
That is exactly why they are doing it here. I drive about 55 miles to work every day, I see at least one dead deer on the road per week. That dead deer equals one car that is wrecked, some bad, some not so bad. Some, like my mother-in-law a couple years back, have the deer come through the windshield and shatter her face. Deer are a very reproductive species, a deer becomes nearly full grown within one year, and able to reproduce within two. When you have that kind of reproduction, combined with the fact that we have truly driven out almost all of their natural hunters, something has to be done to control the population.
natural selection was a stupid idea anyway :retard:

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
Well, on one hand, I think I see your point there Leslie, we should have let the cougars and wolves alone, and let them take care of the extra population, but as was stated, packs of wolves don't care if it's a foal or if it's little Billy waiting for the school bus, if they see food, they'll attack. I think I'd rather it be this way.

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
PuterTutor said:
Well, on one hand, I think I see your point there Leslie, we should have let the cougars and wolves alone, and let them take care of the extra population, but as was stated, packs of wolves don't care if it's a foal or if it's little Billy waiting for the school bus, if they see food, they'll attack. I think I'd rather it be this way.
little billy's parents shoulda been watchin better

PT

And what exactly are they going to do when a pack of wild wolves attack?

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
that'd be the nature of natural selection...

it worked for a bajillion years and suddenly we know better? :retard:

PT

No, we certainly don't know better, but the fact is, we screwed up. Now, we are doing what we can to screw up the balance even worse. It's really all we can do at this point.

PT

Um, no. What would happen at this point is the deer population would skyrocket, as has been proven countless times by Missouri and the surrounding states, when they have severely limited the amount of hunting. The population rises, cars start hitting more deer, people die, deer die, the vegetation food sources are depleted so they start eating farmers crops, the farmers start losing more money than they already are, farmers start shooting deer just to save thier crops and their livelihood. Yeah, I guess it would work itself out.

PT

Yep, it's all about money. Money that buys food to put on the table so your children don't starve to death, yep, it's all about money.

Les, do you know any farmers around there? Do you know how much money the average farmer makes? Do you have a deer population problem around there? I realize you don't like the idea of killing animals for food, and I respect that, but you also have to consider that there are people who don't share your views, there are people that live here in Missouri where deer meat is the only meat they can afford, becuase they can go out and get it themselves.

paul_valaru

100% Pure Canadian Beef
PuterTutor said:

a pack of wolves really do care whether it is little billy or not.

Wolves attacking a human is very very very rare, they tend to avoid us.

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
and you guys talk about hypocrisy. :rolleyes:

i dont' consider a high deer population to be the problem...I would venture that it's the high human population that's the problem.

*angry with the sad state of humanity again*

PT

Wolves avoid groups of humans even when it's just two or more, we do intimidate them, wolves do not avoid solitary humans.

paul_valaru

100% Pure Canadian Beef
they tend to avoid what they don't know, and supposedly humans don't taste to good to animals.

Wolves would not hunt us for food, unless it was an extremly lean year, they are naturally shy animals, the only way they would attack is if you invaded their range

PT

And if there were enough of them to control the deer population, you don't think we would be invading their range?

paul_valaru

100% Pure Canadian Beef
we would be sharing there range, if you see a baby wolf...RUN

just like bears, they will avoid you, unless you stumble on to there youngens

just like we would react, wolves are suprisingly peacful animals, invading would consist of cornering them, or approaching the pups.

unfortunitaly, with the farms (which I know we need) the damage is done, no one pack of wolves is going to control the deer population now, but releasing a few predators would do wonders over the next 20 years, there might still be times that the herds needed to be culled, but it would be less than now.

Wolves have gotten bad press as these vicious hunters, they hunt, but attackes by wolves is incredably rare

Pitbulls are more of a danger.

domesticated wolves are a danger, but wild wolves, I doubt they would even attack a youngster left in the woods alone

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Leslie said:
i dont' consider a high deer population to be the problem...I would venture that it's the high human population that's the problem.

Then put an end to government healthcare & let the weak & stupid die off. We'll be down to 2 billion in no time.

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
Gonz said:
Then put an end to government healthcare & let the weak & stupid die off. We'll be down to 2 billion in no time.

why eh?? it's bad and it doesn't work...:dizzy:
maybe you guys should add it :lloyd: