Apple

Blue screen of death? :D

My understanding is that the Mac OS was pretty stable up until OS X came out.

I've LIVED the exact opposite, MACs in my college were SHIT can't remember what version of OS but they crashed hourly, heck even NT 3.5 (??) was more stable at the time :D Then recently i was playing around with OS 9 and it was amazingly crappy as well, the guys at a studio close to here had it doing video work, crashed alot as well, lots of hangs, reminded me of windows 98 :lol:

even win98 could be stable if not taxed much, the one that was really unstable was 3.1 (Especially when displaying mpeg video :lol: )

Never did a lot with 9 (because of my previous experiences), but X was instantly better when I first used it. :headbang:

Luis G said:
even win98 could be stable if not taxed much, the one that was really unstable was 3.1 (Especially when displaying mpeg video :lol: )

oh yea, had screen freezes and total reboots with mpeg back then :D Win98 is'nt ALL that bad to be honest, win 2k really made me sorta believe in microsoft a little again.

I'm the same. Had 95 for almost 5 years. Used 98 for a year, then 2k since then. Don't think I'll ever go back to a 9x. Although I do think it would be interesting to install 95 on my XP1800 just to see how fast it would run.

Justintime said:
oh yea, had screen freezes and total reboots with mpeg back then :D

ohh yeah, those were the days, some guys would even buy a card specifically for decoding mpeg video, software decoding was just soooooo taxing on the system :lol:

btw, i think i never got a reboot, but i started to fear the BSD :D

You'll prolly hit some loading up errors, tried 95 on a T bird 900 a few yrs back and it had the same problem i saw with the K6-2 350's kinda weird as the Athlons were'nt supposed to be affected, and it was the last version of 95 too, the patch did'nt work either.

Luis G said:
Justintime said:
oh yea, had screen freezes and total reboots with mpeg back then :D

ohh yeah, those were the days, some guys would even buy a card specifically for decoding mpeg video, software decoding was just soooooo taxing on the system :lol:

btw, i think i never got a reboot, but i started to fear the BSD :D

was one ofthose guys :D i don't even remember the model number of this :lol:

[attachment]http://www.otcentral.com/forum/attachment.php?s=f2b6815cd6a6f6468dadde15ea8300f5&postid=206748[/attachment]

Attachments

• picture 013.jpg
    picture 013.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 28
That looks like a RealMagic DVD Decoder...

P6100003.jpg

got one like it :D

Justin, that looks like a PCI card, i'm talking about the old ISA cards used to decode MPEG1 video.

Ohh, i also remember how good those videos looked at 256 colours with Bayer-Floyd (or something like that) dithering, then i looked at 16 bit colour and i was amazed, then at 24/32 and i'll never go back. :D

Shit, I used to download Gifs from a bbs with a 286 @ 10mhz, Hercules graphics card (Monochrome), with a 9600 Baud Modem. That was the shit then too.

there's still a creative dxr3 card in my parents PC, i think it still looks better than software decoding on fast machines, and you couldn't beat the digital coax output, here's to old hardware:beerbang:

tommyj27 said:
there's still a creative dxr3 card in my parents PC, i think it still looks better than software decoding on fast machines, and you couldn't beat the digital coax output, here's to old hardware:beerbang:

Dxr3s were KICK ASS! I remember wanting one soooo bad, and then kicking my friend in the shin for buying one.:headbang:

Back