Are your online friends as important as your IRL friends?

So?

• I don't have IRL friends

Votes: 5 16.7%
  • I don't have Online friends

Votes: 2 6.7%
  • I prefer online buds to my IRL ones

Votes: 3 10.0%
  • I prefer my IRL friends, this is 'just' the internet

Votes: 11 36.7%
  • About Equal

Votes: 9 30.0%

• Total voters
I guess I'm with Unc and Gonz, I enjoy chatting with everyone, but I don't know any of you, how could we be friends? Just my opinion.

real friends and Internet friends aren't on the same level. I don't have "emotional" ties to my online friends as I do my real life friends. That's the only difference to me. Basically, my online friends are people who keep me entertained while I'm online, but if they need someone to talk to about serious stuff, I'm there for them. I love and really truly LOVE my real friends.

if you look at them like those freakyass eyes in your av are looking at me...I don't wonder they run away :eek5:

Leslie said:
if you look at them like those freakyass eyes in your av are looking at me...I don't wonder they run away :eek5:

suprisingly i dont :eek5: though usually I do keep to myself until people talk to me. which they do quite often strangely enough :eek:

Ditto agree with Unc

Without the net most of us couldn't even stand being in the same room as each other.

Although I feel most of my real life friends dont share my sad sense of humor like some internet people (not here obviously), I dont feel like anyone on the internet is really a friend or even usually even real.

I like my friends and all but I miss the days when I was young and all my friends and I loved the same things, now I feel like such a loner.

God I am so lame.

Professur said:
Must have something to do with my Baaaaaaing at them all the time.

Must be a Scottish thing...calling out for dates Prof? (jK)

I mostly agree with Unc, 'cept for one thing... there are things that I can say/do online that I would never allow myself to do/say IRL. My online buds are more forgiving than my IRL friends. I can banter all day with sexual-innuendos tossed in for good measure, and not get in any serious RL trouble for it.

I love all of you for that....sometimes one at a time, and sometimes...more than one at once :)

i was kinda bitter when i voted. my IRL friends all laughed when my harddrive crashed, that's not very nice. and one said i musta been my fault, but what do you expect from a 50 yr old hippy whose never been online? i love my IRL friends but they are the oddest mixture of individuals....kinda like here. i guess my honest answer would have to be about the same. space and distance doesn't keep you from enjoying each others, er..company isn't quite the right word, but i think you catch my drift.

Some are. Some I wonder about.

I'm really a 68 year old albino black woman from Syracuse who lives with 87 cats and spend my time knitting doilies I sell for meth money. This Southern shit just passes the time between head rushes for me.

Online friends were never as important as my RL friends, and I think that's the way it should be.

Then I found an online friend was in trouble with his health, and later read that he had died. I reacted more strongly than I ever thought I would, for someone I had never met and only spoken to a handful of times. I never thought I could care so much about someone online.

And then I found out he had faked it all, and had lied for months about a number of things, from the trivial to the deathly serious.

So now, I assume that largely, all these people could be figments of someone's imagination. Mostly, it's to protect myself from caring as much as I used to.

This is part of the reason I want to do a BBQ. Convert some folks from OL only to RL as well. At least you then know that the person typing is not some sort of construct designed by someone who either thinks he's funny or has serious problems.

RL friends will always be more important, simply because you actually have a chance to be sure about who the hell they are.

Well, considering I married an "online friend"...

I've met 3 people in person that I first met online, and have spoken to maybe half a dozen more by telephone. One guy is possibly coming for a visit this summer if things work out on his job. Gonna take a few trout out of these creeks up here together. I've corresponded by mail with a couple more, one notable in her music attaining skills may they rest in peace. I think I still owe her some t'maters and such...

Still, no contest when it somes to someone I've known in person for years over someone I type back and forth with. When those lines cross it can be neat though.

Back