Are your online friends as important as your IRL friends?

So?

• I don't have IRL friends

Votes: 5 16.7%
  • I don't have Online friends

Votes: 2 6.7%
  • I prefer online buds to my IRL ones

Votes: 3 10.0%
  • I prefer my IRL friends, this is 'just' the internet

Votes: 11 36.7%
  • About Equal

Votes: 9 30.0%

• Total voters
It's about the same to me.
I take what people say with a grain of salt either way, but
I have helped, and have been helped to/from people on both sides.
Some OL friends are also my RL friends.
People can put up a front online much longer, so it's usually only
after year(s) before I make a conclusion about someone OL.
I can do it in a matter of minutes (sometimes) in RL. (sometimes hours, or several meetings)

The people I've "dealt" with online and for several years I trust.

With me, what you see is what you get, I don't put up a front at all.

greenfreak said:
Online friends were never as important as my RL friends, and I think that's the way it should be.

Then I found an online friend was in trouble with his health, and later read that he had died. I reacted more strongly than I ever thought I would, for someone I had never met and only spoken to a handful of times. I never thought I could care so much about someone online.

And then I found out he had faked it all, and had lied for months about a number of things, from the trivial to the deathly serious.

So now, I assume that largely, all these people could be figments of someone's imagination. Mostly, it's to protect myself from caring as much as I used to.

Damn...been a while since this one came up.

SInce my BBQ where I got to meet Tonks and Rob, SL, Nixy, Paul and Uki mostly for the first time...I'm surprised (pleasantly) that they were all pretty much the same IRL as they were OL. Sure...the way they looked and sounded threw me off for a bit, but once that hurdle was passed... it was like bumping into a high-school chum on the street. A few minutes of uncomforteable silence followed by great conversation.

There are still people OL that I'd love to meet IRL. and some OL people that are about to become OL only :(

IMHO...when it comes down to brass-tacks. It's personality which makes a friend, not geography.

MrBishop said:
I'm surprised (pleasantly) that they were all pretty much the same IRL as they were OL.
I would hope that pretty much everyone is representing themselves here as they are offline. I know I don't put up a front... trying to keep it up and remember all the little details I'd be lying about would get awfully tiring after a while.

Inkara1 said:
I would hope that pretty much everyone is representing themselves here as they are offline.
I'm the same person on- and offline, but I think I present myself quite differently. Basically, I'm more "myself" online than offline. Working on blurring the line though. :swing:

paul_valaru said:
The people I meet online, I care for them, and have had some great freindships.

But the people, who I see, who I hang out with, sho can offer me a beer, they are the close close friends, who know my inner demons, who I can really cut lose with.

Not to say that I don't like my online friends, it's just...diffrent?

BUT some onlinefriendscan become GREAT IRL friends

Inkara1 said:
I would hope that pretty much everyone is representing themselves here as they are offline. I know I don't put up a front... trying to keep it up and remember all the little details I'd be lying about would get awfully tiring after a while.

Exactly....why pretend.

so as it stands...I really am this sexy IRL....

It's nothing offensive to online buds, I love them too, but I really prefer a good hug from a RL friend whenever possible....

Back