Arizona takes one step closer to Fascism

MrBishop

Arizona's new immigration law is just about crime, its supporters say, but given that the state's new education policy equates ethnic studies programs with high treason, they may not be using the commonly accepted definition of "crime."

Under the ban, sent to Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer by the state legislature Thursday, schools will lose state funding if they offer any courses that "promote the overthrow of the U.S. government, promote resentment of a particular race or class of people, are designed primarily for students of a particular ethnic group or advocate ethnic solidarity instead of the treatment of pupils as individuals."

As ThinkProgress notes, the Tucson Unified School District's popular Mexican-American studies department is the target here. The state superintendent charges that the program exhibits "ethnic chauvinism."

Meanwhile, in a move that was more covert until the Wall Street Journal uncovered it, the Arizona Department of Education has told schools that teachers with "heavy" or "ungrammatical" accents are no longer allowed to teach English classes.

As outlined by the Journal, Arizona's recent pattern of discriminatory education policies is ironic -- and is likely a function of No Child Left Behind funding requirements -- given that the state spent a decade recruiting teachers for whom English was a second language.

In the 1990s, Arizona hired hundreds of teachers whose first language was Spanish as part of a broad bilingual-education program. Many were recruited from Latin America.

Then in 2000, voters passed a ballot measure stipulating that instruction be offered only in English. Bilingual teachers who had been instructing in Spanish switched to English.
Teachers who don't meet the new fluency standards have the option of taking classes to improve their English, the Journal reports, but if they fail to reach the state's targets would be fired or reassigned.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/04/30/arizona-ethnic-studies-cl_n_558731.html

No more teachers with unamerican accents. No more ethnic studies classes. No more teaching that the 2nd Amendment is all about putting the fear of the people into the GVT. Political correctness comes to town. Have a nice day!

Cerise

81114308.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=keIvA2wSPZc&feature=related

Altron

I can't say I disagree with this, Bish.

What has made America such a unified and powerful country in the past has been the assimilation of many different cultures and ethnicities into one. The laws of our nation are written so that every person, no matter their skin tone or ethnic heritage, is an "American", and the law treats every American the same way.

Arizona's state legislature has every constitutional right to choose exactly what the curriculum taught in public schools is.

It would be facism, and it would be a huge attack against the First Amendment if Arizona decreed that no school, public or private, could teach a class promoting overthrowing the government, or targeted specifically at a certain ethnic group of students. However, Arizona has every right to control the funding to these schools, and to prevent these classes from occurring in schools that the government is paying for.

Our country was made great by those individuals who embraced the idea of becoming an American above all other cultural backgrounds, and who were willing to work for the unification of the "melting pot" of different cultures into a unified "American" culture under which all citizens are treated equally, as Americans.

The types of sentiments that this law opposes are those who believe "While I may be currently living in America, I am not an American, I am still above all a Mexican, and I have no individuality beyond that of other Mexicans. I, as a Mexican, are different and separate from all other Americans who were not originally from Mexico"

Reading the description closely, it does not prohibit classes about specific ethnicities which celebrate their cultural history. What it prohibits are divisive courses, targeted at a specific group of students, and meant to make those students feel segregated and separated from other students.

ResearchMonkey

Race and religion promotion is not the governments role. Any government effort to promote one race over another is not only racist, it violates the equal protection clause. Not mention the sedition that goes on in our schools.

Winky

Liberal criticisms of Arizonas actions are all bullshit.

You can not agree with Bish cuz he’s totally wrong!

Try and imagine a school teacher speaking Spanglish
Hell how about an English teacher that can’t speak either
proper Spanish NOR any form of acceptable English!

As for: a huge attack against the First Amendment if Arizona decreed that no school, public or private, could teach a class promoting overthrowing the government,…

Dude we actually have teachers preaching that the mess-kins should rise up
and take this place back from the Gringo’s ala the thread that the Peeler posted.

Remember this is Arizona we are talking about here the place where
a law that simply states that we want to enforce laws (Federal)
already on the books causes a world-wide fuss.

Siding with the illegal invaders always makes you at least look silly
treasonous at worst. When a 100,000+ beanners marched on our
State capitol carrying Mexican flags, us gringos may have taken no action
but you can guess what was going thru our minds…

I’m thinking one bombing run with a B-2 and a full spread of cluster bombs would have shut them the hell up for the next century!

Professur

The problem with ignoring cancer is that the longer you wait, the more extreme the measures required to survive it.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Teachers who don't meet the new fluency standards have the option of taking classes to improve their English, the Journal reports, but if they fail to reach the state's targets would be fired or reassigned.

I want a reason to see a problem here. It is common sense, through & through.

Oh, by the way Bish, in AZ, we had fascism down years ago..

BarryGoldwater.jpg

The Honorable Senator Barry Goldwater. He never met a liberal he couldn't scare to death.

MrBishop

Reading the description closely, it does not prohibit classes about specific ethnicities which celebrate their cultural history. What it prohibits are divisive courses, targeted at a specific group of students, and meant to make those students feel segregated and separated from other students.

are designed primarily for students of a particular ethnic group

No more Black History studies, I guess.

MrBishop

I want a reason to see a problem here. It is common sense, through & through.

I do believe that y'all have a plethora of accents, many of them heavy and no longer regional, that could easily be described as 'heavy'. Kindly explain what the accepted accent would be.

ResearchMonkey

Funny, in all the years of Black History at school they never mentioned that most Africans were initially captured and sold by other colored people. I also never learned that there were black people who owned and traded in slavery. I also never heard that there many free black people in the South, I thought ALL the blacks down there were slaves. It was all just like in "Roots" violence, rape and injustices.

Yeah, what I learned from Black history in k-12 school was that white folks is the devil. Maybe it's better something taught at Uni where there can be some open discussion.

Altron

are designed primarily for students of a particular ethnic group

No, because there is a thin line making that distinction.

For instance, at my public high school, I took a course called "Eastern Humanities", that detailed the history of India, China, and Japan. I learned about their mythology, their customs and traditions, and their history.

Did it promote the overthrow of the US government? Of course not
Resentment of a particular race or class? Nope
Designed for students of a particular ethnic group? Nope. It wasn't a required class, and it had about 25 students, whose only connection was that they were all intelligent and interested enough to sit through an entire class that wasn't required.

The biggest one is "promote ethnic solidarity instead of treatment of pupils as individuals" - this is the important part. This is what causes hatred. Ethnic solidarity is a terrible thing, because it allows you to remove the face from hatred. The person whose lawn you just put a flaming cross in isn't a human being, he's a black person, and he's not as good as you. The guys working in the kitchen for pennies an hour at the restaurant aren't human beings, they're just mexicans, and they're inferior. The white person you just mugged isn't a human being, he's a white devil who enslaved your people, so it's ok. The Israeli women and children you just car-bombed, they're not human beings either, because they're the 'other' ethnic group trying to live on your land. The crips you just smoked on a drive-by aren't human beings, they're the other people, the enemies, to be fought whenever possible.

It's a terrible thing to lose your individuality and just start thinking of yourself as a member of a specific ethnic groups, and to hate other ethnicities just because "That's how it's always been". It takes the face off of hatred, because it allows you to treat people based just off their ethnicity, instead of their individual merits. It's a lot easier to hurt someone if you consider them to be a member of the opposing group. If you add in their own identity, if rather than being a random person of ____ ethnicity they're a person with a name, with a face, with a family, with hopes and aspirations, it gets a lot harder.

It's an idea of "Us and Them" that is dangerous to America. For centuries, "Us" meant "We the people of the United States of America", and "Them" meant Nazi Germany, Communist Russia, Hirohito's Japan, the Taliban... outside groups that hated freedom, and were willing to fight us to stop it. Now, "Us" means "The ethnic group that I am a member of" and "Them" means "All other Americans". The prevailing attitude is to feel no affiliation with those other groups, to avoid social interaction with those other groups, and even to begin violence with other groups.

The wording of the law is such that a course which teaches about a culture will be acceptable. If the course is structured in a way where it explains the traditions and history of an ethnic group from an outside, unbiased view of the group, then it will not be prohibited. If it teaches about the group from inside the group, as a way to teach students that they are not individuals, just a part of their group, and must take a part in any hate or violence incited by their group, it will be prohibited.

Winky

Arizona won't go down without a fight

segregation and sedition both begin with S
So does silly.

Winky

Arizona Leads the nation.

segregation of Mexican nationals on the mess-kin side of the border
and Americans on this side, that sounds super!

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
American Immigrants Flooding Mexico?

La Prensa San Diego, Commentary, Jacob G. Hornberger, Posted: Apr 16, 2007 Review it on NewsTrust

SAN DIEGO -- There is a big immigration problem that has been growing year after year. An increasing number of American citizens are moving to Mexico, and some of them are even becoming undocumented workers. Even worse, they are refusing to assimilate and are even insisting on retaining their U.S. citizenship.

Six years ago, on February 5, 2001, in an article entitled “American Retirees Flock to a ‘Paradise’ in Mexico,” the Washington Post reported that in the small Mexican town of Ajijic, where 7,500 Americans lived, there was a banner just past the Gringo Grill that in English read, “Welcome to your new home.” Bringing their culture to Mexico, the Americans in Ajijic were organizing gardening classes and Sunday morning walking clubs. The Lake Chapala Society had a library containing 20,000 books — in English — and an English-language theater. The Super Lake market carried rye bread and every type of Betty Crocker cake mix. Restaurant menus in town were changing from enchiladas to waffles for breakfast. Most of the people at Donas Donuts were Americans, discussing U.S. political issues, presumably in English.

Since then the problem has only intensified. That 2001 article reported that the U.S. Embassy estimated that 600,000 Americans were living in Mexico. Today, Wikipedia puts the number at one million.

The assimilation problem hasn’t gotten any better either. In a recent article entitled “Illegal Gringos,” the Los Angeles Times reported that San Miguel de Allende, Mexico, has many retired baby boomers moving into town, a number of whom are performing work without a permit or license. It’s obvious that they’re not even bothering to learn Spanish because there is an expatriate newspaper oriented toward them that is written in English. Yes, you read that right — a local English-language newspaper in the heart of Mexico for Americans living there!

There are undoubtedly some people who are condemning all this as something despicable, perhaps even immoral. “I think it’s horrible that they’ve retained allegiance to the United States,” they no doubt are saying. “They should become Mexican citizens. Why aren’t they assimilating? Why aren’t they learning Spanish? They’re taking jobs away from Mexicans. They’re still flying the American flag, and they’re singing the Star Spangled Banner. They’re celebrating the Fourth of July more than the Cinco de Mayo. Worst of all, they’re actually rooting for American sports teams rather than Mexican ones. Something needs to be done about these people!”

I say, leave those Americans alone. Why shouldn’t they be free to live in Mexico any way they want? If they want to associate only with other Americans, why shouldn’t they be free to do so? Why should they be required to give up their American citizenship just because they’re living in Mexico? Sure, it might be a good idea for them to learn Spanish, but shouldn’t this be left up to them? And yes, some of them are working illegally, but who cares? Aren’t they providing services that people are willing to pay for and that are improving people’s lives? And so what if they’re still flying the American flag, singing the Star Spangled Banner, and celebrating the Fourth of July? Who are they hurting? And does it really matter that they’re rooting for American sports teams instead of Mexican ones?

Leave Americans in Mexico be. Let them pursue happiness in their own way. Isn’t that what freedom is all about?

:lol:

ResearchMonkey

“American Retirees Flock to a ‘Paradise’ in Mexico,”:lol:
Translation:
  • American Retirees = people with income
  • Flock to a ‘Paradise’ in Mexico = Somewhere below the tip of Baja/Cabo.
So I'm reading that this is influx of Americans with incomes, are coming into the heart of Mexico. Making a move to somewhere they can get more out of their retirement USdollar, among a polite society.

Luis, have you ever thought to yourself; "gee, I would love to live within 50 miles of the US border becuase its a beautiful place?" -- prolly not, unless you're nut because that entire strip along the US border is one long shit-hole of depravity.

When I used to travel Mexico extensively, in the early/mid 80's, the rule was to hit Revolucion Blvd., turn right at the first circle and drive in non-stop for at least ~80 miles before you stopped the car or hit a federally check point. Usually taking turns driving until we hit the Ferry at Cabo and then sleep on the ferry. --When you woke up and got off the ferry it was completely different world.

Where you live is nothing like northern Mexico. Once you get down to where you live it's an entirely different world where the people are nice and fairly easy going. It's green and peaceful not the wretched local economy that survives off the border.

I bet you would welcome a ~10% increase in your local population if they flooded in from Juarez or TJ, Right?

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member

Good. Nothing like a racial profiling class to interupt true education.

I do believe that y'all have a plethora of accents, many of them heavy and no longer regional, that could easily be described as 'heavy'. Kindly explain what the accepted accent would be.

Fluent & proficient...not accented.

Luis...enjoy their cash or, better yet, deport them. If they are breaking your laws, jail them.

Winky

Arizona takes one step closer to rejoining America

Brazilians speak Portuguese?
Mexicans Spanish
Americans English
Canadians English and French

The gibberish uttered by these folks here is rubbish.