Avian Flu hits edges of Europe

Re: Avain Flu hits edges of Europe

I'm not an American, nor do I live in the USA, so I do not give a fuck about the CDC or the US media.

I've been hearing about this from virology experts for several years that the world should be prepared for a new flu pandemic on the scale of 1918. Informing people is not the same as scare-mongering, especially in this case where the threat is very real.

If the pandemic was developing and emerging in the US you might even have a point from your own aspect, but it is not, it's traveling across the world through migratory birds and thus the pandemic strain could emerge at some point from one of many locations.

We're not the same world as 1918. A virus can, literally, spread worldwide in a matter of hours. We also have facilities in place to hamper, or potentially end, an outbreak, in hours.

The only thing the worldwide media is doing at the moment is scaremongering, making an uninformed populace paranoid & upping the risk of overreaction.

Unfortunately as the SARS situation (taken as a "dry run" for a flu pandemic) shows that despite being extremely vigilant, any thoughts that we can contain a new virus strain are somewhat naive. SARS turned out to be not particularly contagious, yet it still managed to spread across the world even with containment measures in place.

This may be off topic but After reading the post in here i have to ask a question.

"If you think something is only worth worrying about when it starts to happen, isn't it too late by then?

That kind of short-sighted attitude costs lives. In this case, it could cost millions, or hundreds of millions."

Why is this kind of thought ok when its a virus, but if its a ruler of a country we should stay short sighted and butt out per se?

Bobby this is directed at you but alot of people feel this way and it just seemd to me thats double standards.

samcurry said:
Why is this kind of thought ok when its a virus, but if its a ruler of a country we should stay short sighted and butt out per se?
Because you can't reason with a virus, economic sanctions don't hurt it, bombing the local infrastructure won't slow it down, it doesn't have a country to attack, no leader to assasinate and kills indiscriminatly.

If you're comparing it with Iraq, I think that you're comparing apples to oranges. If you're comparing it to Sudan...then you're on to something.

Then again..nobody's invading Sudan, the same way that nobody invaded Rwanda, Cambodia or Armenia when they had their genocides. The last genocide interfeared with, and rightly so, was Hitler's...and it wasn't because of the genocide but because the Nazis were spreading out too far. The Holocaust wasn't discovered until well towards the end of the war.

Bobby Hogg said:
Unfortunately as the SARS situation (taken as a "dry run" for a flu pandemic) shows that despite being extremely vigilant, any thoughts that we can contain a new virus strain are somewhat naive. SARS turned out to be not particularly contagious, yet it still managed to spread across the world even with containment measures in place.

SARS was a bad head cold. It spread around the world. Many people caught it & even more acted as though the world was ending. The media presented a "we're all gonna die" scenario when it was closer to, "damn, another bug. Better get the Robitusin out." If I recall correctly, more people caught & died from Legionairres Disease.

Gonz said:
SARS was a bad head cold. It spread around the world. Many people caught it & even more acted as though the world was ending. The media presented a "we're all gonna die" scenario when it was closer to, "damn, another bug. Better get the Robitusin out." If I recall correctly, more people caught & died from Legionairres Disease.

You're missing the point. SARS was rather worse than a bad head cold, and it was also a completely new virus. We were good at tracking its spread, finding out what it was quickly and tracing its history, but unfortunately it managed to get right around the world despite not being particularly contagious. I agree that the SARS reaction was overblown, it annoyed me greatly at the time that even when the facts came out about the virus, that the media still blew the outbreak out of proportion.

However, with avian flu, the chances are that an eventual pandemic strain could be much more contagious, much more lethal to healthy adults, and be characterised by common symptoms that render it initially innocuous looking before anyone realises what is happening.

There has also been a report of a form of the virus being resistant to the anti-viral drugs stockpiled.

Bobby Hogg said:
and it was also a completely new virus.

read: previously undiscovered.

There has also been a report of a form of the virus being resistant to the anti-viral drugs stockpiled.

Mother Nature, no matter how hard we try, is still in charge. Frankly, I'm glad. Given humans that kind of power may mean we could cause global warming.

Study shows 15 clusters of avian flu cases; some likely human-to-human spread

ATHENS (AFP) - Greece's agriculture ministry has confirmed the country's first positive test for avian flu virus, following tests on the island of Chios which detected the presence of the H5 strain in a local turkey. The samples were submitted on Thursday from a small farm on the northeast of the island, which faces the coast of Turkey, the ministry said in a statement on Monday.

More tests to determine whether the virus is the H5N1 strain that can be lethal to humans are pending.
Source

Fifteen does a pandemic not make. Turns out that most of the deaths in 1918 weren't from the flu but from Pneumonia (controllable by medication)

15 clusters does not a Pandemic, make... but that's humans only. If we're talking about birds, we're talking quite a bit more...and it continues to spread despite severe restrictions placed on imported bird-flesh.

It hasn't mutated yet, though...luckily. All it takes is for one person with a human-transmissable flu to also get the bird flu. Flus exchange DNA... which explains why there are so many varieties and new variables yearly.

If the avian flu exchanges DNA with any human-transmisable strain of the flu... well.

Hasn't happened yet (we think).

In the meanwhile, wash your hands people...it's good for more than the flu. :D

*MrBishop uses 'reciting the A,B,C' to teach his kid how long it should take to wash his hands.

i became seriously suspicious about the "pandemic" when i heard news broadcasters suggest that the drug "tamiflu" can help alleviate the symptoms.
gonz is right about the hysteria racheting. i havent seen any just yet, but i imagine its only a matter of time before people start insisting that they have the avian flu and demanding medication for it. happened with SARS. the number one question i got during last years flu season was "do you think i have SARS?"
i wish they would harp more about how to prevent the spread that the possibility ofa pandemic.

Ducks carrying bird flu in Canada
THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

November 1, 2005

TORONTO - Nearly three dozen wild ducks have tested positive for the H5 bird flu virus in Canada, officials reported yesterday, but they said it was unlikely to be the strain blamed for 62 human deaths in Southeast Asia.

Dr. Jim Clark of the Canadian Food Inspection Agency said it would take at least a week to determine whether the flu found in 33 ducks from the provinces of Quebec and Manitoba was the deadly H5N1 strain that has ravaged Asian poultry farms.

But it was unlikely to be the same strain because none of the wild ducks tested was ill even though they carried the strain, he said at a news conference.

"That strain in Asia has caused high mortality in those birds; the birds that tested positive in Quebec and Manitoba are all healthy," Clark said.

Clark said 4,800 samples had been collected from wild birds in seven Canadian provinces in a study begun before the recent spread of H5N1 from Asia to parts of Europe and Turkey.

He said it was not surprising to find a variant of the H5 virus in Canada, because it can be present in at least 7 percent of wild birds in North America at any given time, though in less virulent forms than H5N1.

The spread of H5N1 across the Eurasian landmass has world health experts worried about the possibility of a human flu pandemic developing that could kill millions and cripple economies.

The more a bird flu virus spreads, the more chances it has to mutate into a form that can pass easily from human to human. So far, all deaths attributed to H5N1 have come in people who caught it from a bird.

The World Health Organization says the outbreaks in Southeast Asia have infected 121 people and caused 62 deaths in Thailand, Vietnam, Indonesia and Cambodia. Vietnam has been hardest hit.

Less virulent strains of the H5 virus have been found before in North America. Parts of Mexico have suffered through an outbreak of H5N2 bird flu in poultry operations for more than a decade.

Canada had an outbreak of bird flu in 2004, but it was the less harmful H7 virus, which isn't believed to pose a serious risk to humans. About 17 million birds in British Columbia were slaughtered in early 2004 in an effort to stamp out any spread of the virus. Copyright 2005 Newsday Inc.
Well...it's reached overseas...again.

I'm more worried about the people bringing it over, frankly. We have a huge population 45 minutes away, and the kid's dad works at times right in the midst of very large groups of Asians, many to most direct from overseas. So, between that, and the government going all bent out of shape as they did when SARS was about, face masks could be in order sooner than later. We had to wear them anytime we entered any kind of public clinic or office when that whole thing was going on.

I don't see the point in using the provided ones when it's a box sitting on a desk, and you're taking one right after some grubby guy has had his paws in there all over it. This time I'm getting my own lol.

The H5N1 bird flu virus has been confirmed in north-central Nigeria. Scientists had feared the virus would reach Africa, where human poverty and disease could combine with millions of highly susceptible backyard poultry to produce many human infections, and potentially a human pandemic virus.

But New Scientist can reveal that the location of Africa’s first reported outbreak should not come as a surprise. The region affected is right beside a major wintering ground for two relatively common species of duck. Those ducks shared breeding grounds in Siberia last summer with birds that winter in Turkey and around the Black Sea, where the virus also appeared recently.

“We are facing a serious international crisis,” said Samuel Jutzi, head of animal health at the UN Food and Agriculture Organisation in Rome, Italy. He is pleading for any further die-offs of poultry in the region to be reported immediately.

The World Animal Health Organization (OIE) in Paris, France, reported on Wednesday that 40,000 poultry, mainly laying hens, have died since 10 January at a commercial farm near Igabi in Kaduna state, a small town 150 kilometres south of the northern city of Kano. The owners initially tried antibiotics.

But the cause has now been confirmed as highly pathogenic H5N1 by the OIE’s collaborating centre for bird flu in Padua, Italy. Moreover, it is the same strain that appeared in wild birds at Qinghai Lake in China in spring 2005, and has since travelled across Siberia to Turkey and the Black Sea.

Summer breeding grounds

As it has everywhere it has gone, the virus is devastating poultry in the region, with Nigerian agricultural authorities reporting the death of 150,000 birds in Kano and Kaduna states, and more outbreaks reported in other parts of Nigeria.

Furthermore, Kano is near the Hadejia-Nguru inland river delta, which is a major wintering location for Northern pintail and garganey ducks. These species summer in breeding grounds across Siberia, where the Qinghai strain of H5N1 infected poultry and wild birds in summer 2005. They then winter in Turkey, around the Black Sea, and in West Africa. The Qinghai strain has already broken out in Turkey and around the Black Sea, apparently carried by migrants..

The authoritative 1996 Atlas of Anatidae [ducks, geese and swans] Populations of Africa and Western Europe says the Northern pintail wintering in the Black Sea and Mediterranean basins “are lumped with those wintering in West Africa as a single large population”. On average, 18,000 pintails winter each year at Hadejia-Nguru. Similar numbers of garganey ducks follow the same migration and 500,000 of each species winter at nearby Lake Chad.

Some of the Northern pintail wintering now in Britain and along Europe’s North Sea and Atlantic coasts also spent last summer on the same breeding grounds as the pintail that subsequently flew to the Black Sea, Turkey and West Africa.

Linky

Continuing saga...just a FYI

Back