Avian Flu hits edges of Europe

Isolated cases of very limited human-to-human transmission have been documented -- including one in Thailand involving a mother and child -- but such cases do not mean a pandemic flu strain has emerged. There was no indication the Sumatra infections had spread to anyone outside the family.

chcr said:
Well, according to one conspiracy theorist I know, this means that Bush can now declare marshal law and order in the military. *peepwall*

In case I haven't mentioned it lately, the hysteria surrounding this "emergency" is far, far more dangerous than the disease.

Agreed on this point, how many human deaths related to the "outbreak" world wide? Less then a houndred? A person has a better chance in getting hit by a truck and dying going to the store for a beer then coming down with this "epidemic"..

The majorety of the cases that have come down with it had direct contact with the birds, whether tending, transporting or the slaughter of the birds...

highwayman said:
Agreed on this point, how many human deaths related to the "outbreak" world wide? Less then a houndred? A person has a better chance in getting hit by a truck and dying going to the store for a beer then coming down with this "epidemic"..

The majorety of the cases that have come down with it had direct contact with the birds, whether tending, transporting or the slaughter of the birds...
My favorite word.

highwayman said:

124 at last count. It's not an epidemic..it's a possible epidemic. The difference between possible and actual is 'human to human transmission'...basically what they're trying to figure out in this case. How did the rest of the family get it?

MrBishop said:
124 at last count. It's not an epidemic..it's a possible epidemic. The difference between possible and actual is 'human to human transmission'...basically what they're trying to figure out in this case. How did the rest of the family get it?

Well, given that right here in North America, food workers, medical workers, and pretty damn near everyone else sits down at the table without washing their hands, what are the odds that a bunch of hick poultry farmers came home with bird shit all over their clothes, and spent the evening with their family?

That depends... are they hick poultry farmers? No.
Then the odds seem pretty scarce t' me.

The WHO is looking into it. :shrug: Wait and see.

The Who? I'm not sure how much help Peter Townshend could really be... perhaps there will be a benefit concert.

Inkara1 said:
The Who? I'm not sure how much help Peter Townshend could really be... perhaps there will be a benefit concert.
Yeah, but how about Pete Townsend?

Sirius 16 "The Vault" just played a Pete Townshend song... note the spelling. Did I ever mention that I really like the title/artist display on satellite radio?

Inkara1 said:

He may be able to help out the pedophiles get elected in Amsterdam.

Back