Biking

Jeslek

Banned
I need a new bike. Something that I can use for general purpose biking in town, and maybe also something I can use for mountain biking. I want to get a decent bike, but not too expensive. Can anyone give me some pointers and recommendations?

I've got a Next. Got it from Walmart, about 150 or so if I remember right. Not top of the line, but still a good bike. Not one you'd worry too much about if you wrecked it.

Take a look at Giant bikes...they have some good ones...

Gazelle is one of the best, but Dutch, shall be hard to get one of those there :D

Thanks. Any specific thingies I should be looking out for when choosing a bike?

And Q, please, if I throw a stick, will you leave?

Couldn't y'all just picture Jizlick tooling around campus like a badass on his BigWheel®? :D

i have an rigid (no suspension) aluminum frame trek and I love it, make sure you do some riding on whatever you're looking at before you buy it and make sure it feels good to ride. My brother has a really nice schwinn with disc brakes, suspension and the whole works but i hate riding it because you lean too far forward on it, he's even taken some spills over the handlebars. disc brakes are nice until they get dirty or out of alignment and then they squeal like hell. look at tire tread, if you're going to be riding on pavement a lot you won't want a really knobby mountain bike tire as it wastes a lot of energy, not really a big deal because you can always buy a second set of tires and switch them as needed. Not to knock you PT, but everything i've ever had from kmart, wal-mart and the like has been lousy for anything other than casual occasional riding, go to a decent cycle shop, they can probably give you a good idea of what you want.
And most importantly, whatever bike you get, maintain it, i forgot about that last year and now i'm thinking that i'm going to have to replace most of my drivetrain.
Hope this helps

Someone pointed me to the Specialized HardRock Pro (http://www.specialized.com) -- Anyone have any comments on it?

- Same high strength as last year in a lighter frame with specs like an A1 Premium Aluminum manipulated mainframe, 3D box downtube/headtube, forged dropouts, replaceable derailleur hanger and disc brake compatibility.
- Specialized Enduro Sport tires.
- RockShox Judy TT fork with 100mm travel.
- Shimano Deore rear derailleur.
- Mavic double wall rims with CNC braking surface.
- Shimano 420 "V" brakes .
- Specialized Body Geometry saddle.

hrpro_l.jpg

a while ago i really liked the gt all terra, don't know if they still make those.

... and there was me thinking you were into grown up motorcycles when you're actually talking about "cycling"... oh well... :shrug:

Back