Bush Signs U.S.-Mexico Border Fence Bill

Theres no fence between Haiti and the DR because its equally bleak on either side. Noone has any real reason to shuffle about.
I beg to differ. Haiti is almost completely deforested and the DR has 70+ reserves. They (Haitians) need the wood to make coal to cook food. They also don't have jobs in Haiti.

Currently about 15% of the people living in the DR are Haitians... usually illegal, and working the jobs that 'DR's' don't want...manual labour, nannies, garbage men etc...

They have roughly 3 times the number of people/acre than in the DR, and roughly 1/4 the annual salary. Pretty good reason to cross over.

How about an ethnic division ala Rwanda that would cause them to slaughter each other on sight?
They tried that a few times, with Haiti invading and holding onto parts of the DR on several occasions and for a few years. The Haitians don't have enough military arms to pull it off anymore and the DR doesn't care to take over Haiti...it's too bleak.

Mind you, I'm sure that wholesale slaughter would be a nice diversion.

Maybe the USA could invade Mexico and make the whole fence thing moot.

I beg to differ. Haiti is almost completely deforested and the DR has 70+ reserves. They (Haitians) need the wood to make coal to cook food. They also don't have jobs in Haiti.

Currently about 15% of the people living in the DR are Haitians... usually illegal, and working the jobs that 'DR's' don't want...manual labour, nannies, garbage men etc...

They have roughly 3 times the number of people/acre than in the DR, and roughly 1/4 the annual salary. Pretty good reason to cross over.

Pretty good reason to shoot on sight too.

Haiti is almost completely deforested
because
They have roughly 3 times the number of people/acre than in the DR,

Ever hear about the ant and the grasshopper?

Pretty good reason to shoot on sight too.

because

Ever hear about the ant and the grasshopper?

Nah... the DR had a very powerful despot who understood that you had to protect the forests/oceans etc...or they'd disappear. Haiti wasn't so lucky...their despots only wanted power and money.

I say despot because of his methods, which included armed patrols with shoot on sight laws in forestry protection and a habit of bulldozing mansions of logging company bosses if their cutters went over the borders. He also outlawed hunting for 10 years because the local fauna was being decimated. He pushed for hydro-electric power and got it, imported fuels to replace the use of coal as a cooking fuel, controlled farming techniques etc etc..

They work harder but are better at controlling their resources.

BTW...which one are you calling the grasshopper and which one the ant?

The world could work with despots like that. And I don't need to google him, thanks. I don't pay as much attention to the Caribbean as you do, but I'm not totally clueless on world history.

Anyway...I wonder what the immigration laws are for those places...I'm sure some of them still have problems with their histories with their own citizens, who are only trying to make a living...Just two, mind you, but there are more if you look. What's this have to do with our illegal immigration problem? Not much, but you should clean up your own mess before saying something about somebody elses...

The 27 nations that supported Mexico in Wednesday's declaration were Antigua, Argentina, Barbados, Belize, Bolivia, Brazil, Colombia, Costa Rica, Chile, Ecuador, El Salvador, Granada, Guatemala, Guyana, Haiti, Honduras, Jamaica, Nicaragua, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, San Kitts and Nevis, San Lucia, San Vicente, Suriname, Uruguay and Venezuela.

All of them benefit, directly, from an open border. What a surprise.

Our country. Our fence. :p

WAIT A DAMNED MINUTE!!!!

That's suppoesed to be a racist tradition. WTF?

It is... Haitians are 'darker' than people from the DR. Different language, religion and heritage. Haiti was controlled by France and DR by Spain.

The world could work with despots like that. And I don't need to google him, thanks. I don't pay as much attention to the Caribbean as you do, but I'm not totally clueless on world history.

It's incidental that this was in the Caribean. I've been studying and reading about environmental damage and economy lately. Haiti/DR is a stark example of the results of two radically different enviro. plans.

I'm reading about China now. Now THAT is frightening!

LMAO, the wall will work, but it will keep the illegals there.

I just read that at least 40% of the illegals won't be coming back by the end of the year for fear of not being able to return.

Thanks Bush, you just made this christmas far more pleasant for us mexicans :D:D

Back