Bush to Call on Guard to Bolster Border

If they've already developed and deployed fast, easy, efficient web-based solutions for verifying SSN's and it's not catching people...I don't see it becoming all that much more effective simply by making everyone register... more complex, more time-consuming, but effective? :shrug:

?? Did you as an employer check the SSNs and decide who to hire or not or did you send off a message and get one back saying "Yup... Jose Miguel Jesus Real Esposito del Mara is fine" ?

Sounds to me like when they put in the Interstates. Lots of moaning and groaning, but you'd have on helluva fight on your hands to pull them up now. Part of Gov't's job has always been to do the necessary (and to see the necessary for that matter) regardless of it's immediate popularity.

Reason number one that I've never seen the value in a gov't based on a popularity contest every 4 years.

MrBishop said:
If they've already developed and deployed fast, easy, efficient web-based solutions for verifying SSN's and it's not catching people...I don't see it becoming all that much more effective simply by making everyone register... more complex, more time-consuming, but effective? :shrug:

?? Did you as an employer check the SSNs and decide who to hire or not or did you send off a message and get one back saying "Yup... Jose Miguel Jesus Real Esposito del Mara is fine" ?

They aren't using those systems for immigration control. They can't do that legally yet. That's what this bill is about, ya twit. They use it to try and avoid name/SSN mismatches on tax forms and returns (most notably W-2's). The point is that the system already exists. It's a matter of expansion of both the exsiting system and the authority in how it's used.

As for your second question, see what I typed above. They want me to START doing that. Cool by me.

check Social Security numbers and the immigration status of all new hires

That has been on the books since the last amnesty package. I showed my SSA card more often in the late 80s than the combined rest of my life.

Yeah, but they aren't required to check it against a database. Just to get a copy of your docs and notify someone if they look forged.

I'd be willing to allow employers a free pass if they even bother getting a look at the info-as required by law-provided they report those who have obvioulsy fake documents. When/if the feds show up & find false docs, the illegal is then guilty of document fraud. Right now, everyone ignores the law.

Not everyone, thank you. I've got the right documentation on everyone who works here, or has been hired since I took over HR. And yes, I look.

but HL...you're one of the good guys.

Not everyone in HR does as much, and some have their bosses asking them to 'overlook' certain employees that work their asses off but are missing that wee little slip of paper :hmm:

Back