Cemeteries - such a waste of land

staffrodore

I cringe when I drive past a cemetery and see all that land going to waste. Once you're dead, you're are dead. Why can't we plant trees and create something beautiful?

I also find it ironic that many people go their whole lives without ever owning any land, then get a wee block when they die. Whats the point in filling the earth up with corpses?

catocom

I don't want to be put in the ground, or burnt.
I want some place I can get out of....just incase.
I don't want to be embalmed either, just "all natural".

Winky

Gonz, cremate them and dump em' in the landfill.

Staff I agree!
Burial is a primitive ritual based in religion.
The silly-assed concept of life after death.
Think about that 'life after death'.

Jebus lol

tank girl

Cremation is good, yes - and in some overpopulated places - there isn't any other option. When you think about the land that gets used sure, I agree with the waste of space...I mean its not as if you can recycle old plots now, is it?

But on the other hand, I think that cemetries are good in the sense that the land is saved for that special purpose - land is so valuable these days that it would be horrible to think that we did away with cemetries because we need the land...down that road all I see is the competition for land value.

Cemetries should be kept, but I don't think they should be getting bigger - Cremation cemetries should be now the way to go-it is more economically space-wise and there is still a human, non-profit (As stupid as it sounds, think about it) place to go that will never be sacrificed because someone has enough money to build a big-box department store on it.

staffrodore

tank girl said:
Cremation is good, yes - and in some overpopulated places - there isn't any other option. When you think about the land that gets used sure, I agree with the waste of space...I mean its not as if you can recycle old plots now, is it?

But on the other hand, I think that cemetries are good in the sense that the land is saved for that special purpose - land is so valuable these days that it would be horrible to think that we did away with cemetries because we need the land...down that road all I see is the competition for land value.

Cemetries should be kept, but I don't think they should be getting bigger - Cremation cemetries should be now the way to go-it is more economically space-wise and there is still a human, non-profit (As stupid as it sounds, think about it) place to go that will never be sacrificed because someone has enough money to build a big-box department store on it.

Why not cremate everyone and use this valuable space for forests or room for protected species?

Winky

tank girl said:
land is so valuable these days.

Mebbe that's true onna widdle Island but here there's zillions of square miles that are valueless I mean you can't even buy it, it is so cheap i.e. read worthless . Guess you'd not want yer dearly beloved departed whatever planted in the middle of a God forsaken desert now would ya?

tank girl

staffrodore said:
Why not cremate everyone and use this valuable space for forests or room for protected species?
That, my friend is completely unrealistic - though a well founded thought.

I'm thinking more about cemetries; existing ones ....which are more often than not in the city/towns. Realistically I don't think you'd find someone cremating a whole cemetry in order to use the space for a wildlife reserve in it: if the land was freed it would go to the highest bidder- someone interested in commercial development. It would hardly be avaliable immediately for residential development, would it?

I somehow don't think a park would be that popular if it used to be a cemetry...and a zoo on a former graveyard? - uh as enviromentally proactive as it sounds I don't think keeping animals in the former sanctuary of the dearly departed would go down too well.

In the future...to prevent the land use from getting further wasted, I think it might be good to cremate and perhaps build up - off the land so that you have an indoor-type area where the original graves are kept but above is the levels of crematory-plaques where people can go - and naturally more would fit in a smaller space. Less waste of space/land as it would mean those people that were cremated were saving the land that would otherwise have been used for their burial.

Interesting topic, though.

There is a woman somewhere in N.Z that has actually started a Cemetry by which people can choose to be "planted" directly in theearth with a small tree, so that you can go and visit the tree knowing that its nutirents had come directly from the body...and so the tree would be like the living gravestone - and literally, as you would have it the "life-after-death" for the departed.

I thought that was kinda cool. And that is an eco-friendly option that works both for the people and the land.

staffrodore

I somehow don't think a park would be that popular if it used to be a cemetry...and a zoo on a former graveyard?

You are from Napier aren't you? Do you know Park Island where there are three cemeteries on top of the hills, well they are extreemly popular with walkers, runners even moutain bikers. So just because they used to be or for that matter wouldnt be an issue.
I wouldnt think you'd need to cremate the whole cemetary, simply knock down the headstones and erect a wall with plaques stating who is buried on the plot. Then it's a simple matter of turning the land into a reserve. After all we all cry out about lack of native reserves and land for animals.

tank girl

staffrodore said:
Sorry thought you were from the bay originally, my bad.

Tank Girl is from Post-Apocalyptic Suburbia :D

The girl she was formerly known as is from the place that hails as

"the village" ;)

*music, please.