Changing the tires over

MrBishop

Well... took a bit of this weekend to switch my tires from winter to all-season. This time, I did it with my son. He helped me do everything from taking off the hubcaps and removing the tires right back up to kicking the caps back into place when the switch was all done.

I'll have to post pics later....shame I didn't have video. Hearing him say "Cool!" over and over again as I pointed something out or let him lower the car was something else.

**kids can get very VERY dirty in an astoundingly small period of time.:eek5:

SouthernN'Proud said:
If they're all season tires, why do you have to take them off for a season?
Because they're a joke.

Personally, I'm happy I've summer and winter tires for my daily driver. No 4 seasons in sight.

Bish, please tell me you chocked the tires before lifting....

SouthernN'Proud said:
When you live that close to the Arctic Circle "all-season" doesn't refer to winter. ;)

SouthernN'Proud said:
They're all-season pretty much everywhere else, but up here...those aren't good enough for winter driving. All-season should be called 3 season tires. Good for summer, early fall and late spring.

**There's always a bunch of yahoos who take the all-season part too seriously and use them in the winter. They're easy to spot, what with the tires facing straight up and most of the body of the car/truck hidden by the ditch or the snowbank ;)

chcr said:
When you live that close to the Arctic Circle "all-season" doesn't refer to winter. ;)

Not just that. 4 season tires .... aren't good in any season. They're "good enough". They don't match the traction of summer tires in summer. They don't have the flexibility of compound or tread for winter, and they usually don't have the optimal tread pattern for much wet driving either.

Hey, Prof. My brother just bought some property thiry miles from Rome, NY (for hunting and snowmobiling). There's a snowmobile trail that runs across the back of his property and someone put up a sign that says "Montreal, 242 miles."

Edit: Too bad I don't know what "proofreading" is, huh?

MrBishop said:
**There's always a bunch of yahoos who take the all-season part too seriously and use them in the winter. They're easy to spot, what with the tires facing straight up and most of the body of the car/truck hidden by the ditch or the snowbank

But to hear y'all tell it (OK, mainly prof...), everyone in Canuckistan is an outstanding snow driver. The only people who would ever make a mistake on a snowy road would be us down here in Dixie. Why, y'all oughta be able to put racin slicks on a bread truck and climb any ice covered mountain in sight.

Right? :p

SouthernN'Proud said:
But to hear y'all tell it (OK, mainly prof...), everyone in Canuckistan is an outstanding snow driver.
I don't even think that most humans are 'good' drivers, much less good snow drivers. I see hundreds of'em every damn day.

/me goes out to look and see if he can find where the damn idiot-magnet is on his minivan.

Bish, please, go to Walmart and look in the camper/trailer section and buy a set of chocks. 2x3's aren't near tall enough with the size of tires you've got on that van, and the parking brake only works 2 wheels (one if that's the end you're lifting, which also makes the change itself more difficult. A good chock lets the tire run onto it a little. The weight ensures that it can't slide back. At worst, cut a 4x4 diagonally, and screw a one foot piece of plywood to the bottom of it.

SouthernN'Proud said:
But to hear y'all tell it (OK, mainly prof...), everyone in Canuckistan is an outstanding snow driver. The only people who would ever make a mistake on a snowy road would be us down here in Dixie. Why, y'all oughta be able to put racin slicks on a bread truck and climb any ice covered mountain in sight.

I'm so misunderstood.

No thanks. I'm full. Family supper last night, and one of my nephews loves to roughouse. His dad's not big on the idea, as well as being over 6' tall. So whenever I'm around, he goes freestyle on me.

SouthernN'Proud said:

:rofl4:

I refuse to drive in the first snow of the year due to the fact there are gonna be so many people on the road who (a) have never seen snow before and think it's nothing (b) can't remember from one year to the next how to drive in show. With that said I personally prefer to drive in snow than in rain (not taking into account the stupidness of other drivers...just my own comfort if I'm on a fairly empty road), I hate driving in rain. Also, this year I am hoping the first snow comes on a weekend cause otherwise I'll need to be driving to work in it.

The most fun I ever had in snow, was driving the work's big v8 econoline empty in a blizzard. Even with cleats, I was running that bitch sideways up cloverleafs. What a fucking rush. Ol' 43. I loved that truck.

Professur said:
The most fun I ever had in snow, was driving the work's big v8 econoline empty in a blizzard. Even with cleats, I was running that bitch sideways up cloverleafs. What a fucking rush. Ol' 43. I loved that truck.

Soooo tall and not enough weight eh?

Professur said:
Rear wheel drive, and soooo many horses under the hood. And really, really stiff suspension.

Ah

I hated driving our van in bad weather...even if it was really windy and I was on the highway. It caught the wind and I would feel like I was getting blown into the next lane...I want a truck eventually but I don't think I'll drive it around empty in the winter.

Back