Changing the tires over

Professur said:
http://www.conti-online.com/generat...es/contiacademy/tire_ovw_101/sidewall_en.html

That's the manufacturer. Unfortunately, I can't read shit on those photos. The renault looks like it might say Sport Contact, which is one of their models (perhaps is reads that in Spanish) The other one, you cut the model name in two. Also, the M+S usually means 4 season. Not winter as some people mistake. Any tire not specifically a winter tire ...... isn't a winter tire.

This bad boy .... is a winter tire.

You'd better be posting from home or i'm gonna kick your ass!

I think I found the Renault ones. It still doesn't say what season they are. I'm thinking they might be summer and not all season.

The datsuns are Euzkadi, I think that's exclusively of Mexico and the site says nothing about them.

The Renault tires are three season (summer). I read a review on them.
Looking for the other ones now.

Oh, crap. This just in. If you've never heard of the Continental tire company, it's because you're probably seeing their product under the name or General Tire. Enjoy.

Euzkadi is the brand name, not the model. There should be something else on that tire too.

Professur said:
The Renault tires are three season (summer). I read a review on them.
Looking for the other ones now.

Yeah, I just found on their site that they are summer tires too. Should I worry?

The lowest temp I've seen here is -5ºC, highest 45ºC. We've never have snow in my city, but once we got black ice. Lots of rain in the summer and some hail.

Professur said:
Oh, crap. This just in. If you've never heard of the Continental tire company, it's because you're probably seeing their product under the name or General Tire. Enjoy.

Euzkadi is the brand name, not the model. There should be something else on that tire too.

You never knew that Continental owns General?

Never had a car with them on, so why would I care one way or the other, Inky?

Luis, not in the slightest. As SnP alluded, a good driver is aware of the road conditions. You know (now) that if the temp drops, your traction is going to be reduced. Drive accordingly. 4 season tires are no better on ice than summer tires. Marginally better in light snow (less than an inch). And utterly useless when the temperature drops cold enough to harden the rubber compound. For your application, summers are the (my) preferred way to go.

Try driving in snow in a three-wheeled robin reliant or motorcycle... then you'll know what a good driver/rider is... me.

Of course I prefer a 4x4, but when needs must...

Aunty Em said:
Try driving in snow in a three-wheeled robin reliant or motorcycle... then you'll know what a good driver/rider is... me.

Of course I prefer a 4x4, but when needs must...

Blows my mind everytime I go Home in winter, and see people out on bikes, while ours have been in storage for months.

Professur said:
Luis, not in the slightest. As SnP alluded, a good driver is aware of the road conditions. You know (now) that if the temp drops, your traction is going to be reduced. Drive accordingly. 4 season tires are no better on ice than summer tires. Marginally better in light snow (less than an inch). And utterly useless when the temperature drops cold enough to harden the rubber compound. For your application, summers are the (my) preferred way to go.

Thanks a lot!!

Professur said:

For the record. I just searched more and found out that Euzkadi is a brand meant for the mexican market. They use continental technology but they adapt it to mexican road conditions (i.e. rough pavement, unexpected holes and heat).

HomeLAN said:
Heh.

Big ol' sweater, mittens, etc. The dogwoods are blooming down here.

Thus, I don't own winter tires.
It wasn't so bad a day, but the gloves on metal is mandatory for the Bishjr.
It must've been a warm 8Cel (46F) that day, but the bar couldn't have been warmer than about 2-3Cel(35F or so) when we started working on it.
This week's heading up to 18 (64F)..so it's damn nice. My father's thinking of opening up the pool this week or next.

i dont own winter tires either. the FWD with traction control and all season tires do a decent enough job of getting me through the muck.

Professur said:
Blows my mind everytime I go Home in winter, and see people out on bikes, while ours have been in storage for months.

Yeah, but it's fun... I really wish we had spiked tyres, that would be so kewl. I've ridden through a blizzard where I couldn't see more than 20 feet in front of me... it was that or camp out for the night. I had to keep stopping to warm my hands on the engine and when i got in I didn't peal my gear off for an hour so I could thaw out first. That's when you discover that steel toecaps are a really bad idea, even if you are wearing 2 pairs of woolly seaman's socks and you truly learn to appreciate the term "wind chill factor" even though your hands are encased in 3 layers of gloves/mitts. Luckily I knew the road cos I used to ride up and down it 5 days a week, or I would definately have got lost.

Aunty Em said:
Yeah, but it's fun... I really wish we had spiked tyres, that would be so kewl.

I dunno about Quebec but no spiked tired allowed in Ontario

Aunty Em said:
You only get spiked tyres on ice speedway as far as I know.

ice speedway??

I dunno, I know up until recently (and maybe still) they're allowed to drive on spiked tires in Newfoundland in the winter.

Back