CIA runs secret terrorism prisons abroad: report

MrBishop

CIA runs secret terrorism prisons abroad: report 2 hours, 20 minutes ago

The CIA has been holding and interrogating al Qaeda captives at a secret facility in Eastern Europe, part of a covert prison system established after the September 11, 2001, attacks, The Washington Post reported on Wednesday.

The Soviet-era compound is part of a network that has included sites in eight countries, including Thailand and Afghanistan, the newspaper reported, citing U.S. and foreign officials familiar with the arrangement.

Thailand denied it was host to such a facility.

"There is no fact in the unfounded claims," government spokesman Surapong Suebwonglee said.

The newspaper said the existence and locations of the facilities were known only to a handful of officials in the United States and, usually, only to the president and a few top intelligence officers in each host country.

The CIA has not acknowledged the existence of a secret prison network, the Post said. A CIA spokesman did not immediately return a call seeking comment.

The prisons are referred to as "black sites" in classified U.S. documents and virtually nothing is known about who the detainees are, how they are interrogated or about decisions on how long they will be held, the report said.

About 30 major terrorism suspects have been held at black sites while more than 70 other detainees, considered less important, were delivered to foreign intelligence services under a process known as "rendition," the paper said, citing U.S. and foreign intelligence sources.

The top 30 al Qaeda prisoners are isolated from the outside world, they have no recognized legal rights and no one outside the CIA is allowed to talk with or see them, the sources told the newspaper.

The paper, citing several former and current intelligence and other U.S. government officials, said the CIA used such detention centers abroad because in the United States it is illegal to hold prisoners in such isolation.

The Washington Post said it was not publishing the names of the Eastern European countries involved in the covert program at the request of senior U.S. officials.

The officials argued that disclosure could disrupt counterterrorism efforts or make the host countries targets for retaliation, the newspaper said.

The secret detention system was conceived shortly after the September 11 attacks on New York and Washington, when the working assumption was that another strike was imminent, the report said.

Surapong, the Thai government spokesman, said Bangkok was probably mentioned because it helped catch Hambali, an Indonesian accused of being Osma bin Laden's key link to Southeast Asia, in 2003.

Thailand's security cooperation with the United States would have to be done "in an open and legitimate manner," he said.
Reuters...via Yahoo News

The CIA has been holding and interrogating al Qaeda captives at a secret facility in Eastern Europe, part of a covert prison system established after the September 11, 2001, attacks
Good. Restores some of my faith in the CIA.

chcr said:
Good. Restores some of my faith in the CIA.

I don't think those places exist. Hell...all that article is, is innuendo and supposition. Not one hard fact in the whole thing. Even if it's true, there's no story because everybody is denying it. The Washington Post has now become the National Enquirer...;)

More from the LMSM?

This is this the same CIA where Valerie Plame worked. Call the special prosecutor. Somebody needs to be indicted.

Gato_Solo said:
I don't think those places exist. Hell...all that article is, is innuendo and supposition. Not one hard fact in the whole thing. Even if it's true, there's no story because everybody is denying it. The Washington Post has now become the National Enquirer...;)

I wonder if they really exist myself, but they should. I hope they do.

chcr said:
I wonder if they really exist myself, but they should. I hope they do.

The whole story sounds familiar, though...like I've heard it before in the past...

I always assumed there were secret prisions all over the world, even before 9/11. I'm not a great Geneva Convention or International Law mind, but as long as "the rules" are being followed I don't see the problem.

Excuse me. There seems to be a double standard in action here & I'd like to point it out & inquire as to the location of the Prosecutor & the grand jury.

"Scooter" Libby might have said the name Plame & he's now out of work. She was a paper pusher. She was not an active covert operative. Her husband wrote a NY Tiimes editorial, bringing attention to them.

citing U.S. and foreign officials familiar with the arrangement.

Hmmmm...I want indictments damnit.

yeah wait til the liberal media uncovers evidence
of mass graves being filled up by Bush\Cheney
yep I new it all along, them evil republicans are
fighting our enemies again...

Gonz said:
Excuse me. There seems to be a double standard in action here & I'd like to point it out & inquire as to the location of the Prosecutor & the grand jury.

Hmmmm...I want indictments damnit.

Ask & ye shall receive

GOP LEADERS TO LAUNCH NEW 'LEAK' PROBE; INFO TO WASH POST 'DAMAGED NATIONAL SECURITY' Tue Nov 08 2005 11:36:31 ET

Sources tell Drudge that early this afternoon House Speaker Hastert and Senate Majority Leader Frist will announce a bicameral investigation into the leak of classified information to the WASHINGTON POST regarding the “black sites” where high value al Qaeda terrorists are being held and interrogated.

MORE

Said one Hill source: “Talk about a leak that damaged national security! How will we ever get our allies to cooperate if they fear that their people will be targeted by al Qaeda.”

According to sources, the WASHINGTON POST story by Dana Priest (Wednesday November 2), revealed highly classified information that has already done significant damage to US efforts in the War on Terror.

Developing...

Original Treason

Yep and once again its the Republicans leaking

Lott told reporters the information in the Post story was the same as that given to Republican senators in a closed-door briefing by Vice President Dick Cheney last week.

"Every word that was said in there went right to the newspaper," he said. "We can't keep our mouths shut."

Lott, a former Senate majority leader who was pushed out in 2002, suggested the information was passed along by a senator to a staff member.

He said the investigation Frist and Hastert want may result in an ethics probe of a Senate member.

Source

Gato_Solo said:

They must exist or Cheney is holding Storytime for Republican Senators (see my previous post) and if Lott truely confirmed Cheney as the Source isn't he(Lott) kinda now culpable?.

A.B.Normal said:
They must exist or Cheney is holding Storytime for Republican Senators (see my previous post) and if Lott truely confirmed Cheney as the Source isn't he(Lott) kinda now culpable?.

So who was the source? Until a name comes out that will say they know, then it's all innuendo and rumor.

Having thaought about it for a while, I agree with rr. I'll bet they've always had 'em. In fact, I'd be more surprised if there weren't any.

chcr said:
Having thaought about it for a while, I agree with rr. I'll bet they've always had 'em. In fact, I'd be more surprised if there weren't any.

Just like the 'flying saucers' at Area 51, right? :D

Gato_Solo said:
So who was the source? Until a name comes out that will say they know, then it's all innuendo and rumor.

Trent Lott(we already know he tends to say things he shouldn't)

Lott told reporters the information in the Post story was the same as that given to Republican senators in a closed-door briefing by Vice President Dick Cheney last week.

"Every word that was said in there went right to the newspaper," he said. "We can't keep our mouths shut."

Lott, a former Senate majority leader who was pushed out in 2002, suggested the information was passed along by a senator to a staff member.

He said the investigation Frist and Hastert want may result in an ethics probe of a Senate member.

Back