Confused about tipping!!!

Spirit

Kissy Goddess
It would seem that everyone is hopping on to the tipping wagon. Everywhere you go, there is a tipping function on the debit machine. I feel so bad when I hit *NO*. I feel cheap.

I go to the Second Cup, stand at the counter and have a drink made, and in front of me, there is a tipping cup. Hmm.. it's not like they are coming to my table - they are just doing their job behind the counter - one spot, takes less than 5 mins..
Do I tip??

I go to the hair salon and the owner of the salon does my hair....
Do I tip her??

You go to a masseuse and the money you pay is theirs - they own the place -
Do I tip her?

A week ago I went to pick up a pizza at a *pick up or delivery* pizza place and there was a tipping function on the debit machine???

So - when do you tip?

Altron

Pizza delivery, and restaurants where they seat you, take your order at the table, bring it to you, and clean up (order at the counter, get food at counter, find your own table, and get cleaned up after = no tip)

I also occasionally drop some money into the "Tips" jar at Dunkin Donuts. They don't do anything special for me, but I know their names and they're always nice to me.

tonksy

You don't have to tip for a pick up pizza, it's on the ticket because it's the same machine they use for delivery.
I tip delivery folks, the starbucks folks, waiters, hairstylist/brow waxers/manicurists, tattoo artists....um....I think that's it.

Professur

I tip when I feel someone's earned a tip. When the service rendered is worth more to me than I paid.

I've been known to tip 20% at a restaurant for friendly, english service. I had a waiter who only spoke broken english swap off with another who's english was better. I tipped both of them.

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
I tip waiters and delivery guys. The highest I've tipped is about 40%, but just when I feel they really really made a good job. If the service is regular, they get to keep part of the lose change I get.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Food delivery & sit-down restaurants, assuming it's been earned or arrived hot.

Tipping sucks. Pay these folks more money & be done with it.

An Atlanta restaurant manager is trying to convince the National Restaurant Association to add an automatic 20 percent gratuity charge to every restaurant bill, which could ultimately affect restaurants across America.
Just wait

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
That story uses Atlanta abut there's actually a movement affoot, nationally, to steal our lunch money.

unclehobart

Hairdresser? Yes... 2-3 dollars ... unless its the person you go to time and time again and they know your name. Then its 4-5 dollars. It really depends on how much of a PITA it is to get your hair the way you want it.

Massage? ..yes.. I'd say about 10% ... but then I've never had one so I really don't know. Its just one of those things that make them happier to see you so that the next time the job they do will be even better and they will accomodate last second requests and whatnot. Its the little things.

My pizza places (real restaurants with artisan pies, not Pizza Hut and other shit like that) have a bucket so you can tip the cooks.. since they otherwise don't see money other than their hourly wage. I drop a dollar per pie when I recognize the cook, the cook recognizes me, knows my name and all that rot. When they know its me coming, the cooks know how I like it prepared without even being told... and extra toppings tend to appear on my pie... funny how that works.

read this: http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/alabaster/A640018

Inkara1

Restaurants that add on mandatory gratuity for everyone (not just large parties) tend to never see me again... I'm even put off by "tip calculators" printed on the receipt.

chcr

Too cute for words
I tip more or less like everyone else here. The one that I always agonize over is the bellhop when I have to stay at a place that offers such. I'm sure I always give them more than I should, on the other hand I generally get exemplary service. I generally tip bartenders better than other service folk simply because I was one once.

I stopped tipping cows long ago...

Spirit

Kissy Goddess
How much do you tip a bellhop?

Do you tip someone who spends time fitting you with shoes? Clothes? Do you tip the guy at Best Buy who spent an hour going through all the surround sound systems with you? Do you tip the guy who helped you carry your groceries out? Do you tip the people at the McDonald's drive thru?

It's just that every where I go now there's a tip option - I guess everyone's tryin to make a buck.

I worked at an English tea house in El Granada (Calif - on the ocean..) when I was about 18. I made phenomenal tips - more than the owners daughter did. So - they decided all the tips *went in to a jar* and they were to be divided up at the end of the day. I was pissed - and yes, I took matters in to my own hands... I know.. I was bad(ish).

Professur

Bellhop? A buck a bag. Two if he pulled them out of your car, and waited while you checked in. 5 for a trunk .. if anyone still travels with one.

MrBishop

Bellhops generally get between .50c and $1 per bag, especially for the big-ass bags that you don't really want to drag up to your room anyway.

I don't tip sales clerks...that's what commission is for. If they can't be bothered to serve me correctly, I'll find another salesman that will.

My times start at $0.00 and go up depending on the level of service, as opposed to those that start tipping at a certain percentage and lose tip for bad service.

The only exception is the very crowded bar, where I'll tip heavily (50 -100%) on the first pass so that I'm remembered and actually 'seen' by the waitress or bar-tender the next few times that I try to wave him/her down. :eek3:

TexasRaceLady

I tip at sit-down restaurants --- how much is determined by how much service I get.

I tip the guy who cuts the meat at the local BBQ place. He can slice and dice with the best of them. You get fresh brisket chopped or sliced right in front of you. Cuts the ribs and chicken to order --- also the hot links or sausage. I figure he earns a little extra.