Connections

ris

i would like to think we also learned that most countries don't like having someone elses hand up their arse and that our concept of acting in the 'wider good' (ie in our interests) is frequently a bad policy.

sadly i fear the lessons of empire are easily forgotten.

Shadowfax

<b>mod cow</b>
Gonz said:
There is only one way to stop terrorism.

Kill the terrorists. Until that is done, nobody is safe. Because several former Presidents wanted to avoid war we made them think we're soft. Bush 2 says fuck that & I agree. The only way to stop terrorism is to kill the terrorists.

you state that as if "the terrorists" are a static number of individuals...of course they aren't, and of course you know that as well.

there is no way all terrorists can be killed, and from that point of view, nobody can ever be 100% safe.
and THAT, has been the case since mankind started to exist. and that will also continue as long people are alive.
going paranoid, and trying to kill "all the axis of evil" won't do any good, and will only cause more negative effects than the positive effects it brings along.

the most important question is: where do we put the line? and from that point, terrorism must be defeated.
it's a nice idealogy to try to kill all terrorists, but let's be honest: it's more wise to take a realistic stand.

Professur

Gonz said:
There is only one way to stop terrorism.

Kill the terrorists. Until that is done, nobody is safe. Because several former Presidents wanted to avoid war we made them think we're soft. Bush 2 says fuck that & I agree. The only way to stop terrorism is to kill the terrorists.

Wrong. There is only one way to stop terrorism. Education.

Nazi germany took hold of their population, through education. Look what they acheived. Muslim extremists do likewise. Only through showing the world's people another truth, can we ever be safe. Not through action that can easily be turned against us by their teachers.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Professur said:
Wrong. There is only one way to stop terrorism. Education.

Nazi germany took hold of their population, through education. Look what they acheived. Muslim extremists do likewise. Only through showing the world's people another truth, can we ever be safe. Not through action that can easily be turned against us by their teachers.

point ceded

Gotnolegs

Gonz said:
oh absolutely, we-unlike GB-do that every few years anyway. Your Kings took & took & took & took... finally dying of obesity ;)

You wanna debate English History then just say the word. It is after all my job now.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Absolutely Eric. Had we not dropped those bombs, the number killed (military and civilian) would have far exceeeded those that died to stop the war.

freako104

while I agree the best came out of it IE the end of the war, I dont like we hit cities and killed so many civilians. I am one who syas the ends dont personally.