Daylight savings

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Those of you NOT in AZ, the parts of IN that don't change & HI, BOYCOTT DST!!!

BOYCOTT DST!!!

BOYCOTT DST!!!

(c'mon, chant0

BOYCOTT DST!!!
BOYCOTT DST!!!
BOYCOTT DST!!!

BOYCOTT DST!!!

BOYCOTT DST!!!

BOYCOTT DST!!!

chcr

Too cute for words
Gonz said:
BOYCOTT DST!!!
Hell, I tried to get the folks at work to play hooky the first nice day this year, and they wouldn't even go for that, so not much chance on the DST thing.

Inkara1

I'm just glad that Windows 2000 changes the clock without making you confirm your clock settings like Windows 98 did.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
More crap about DST

FOR MOST AMERICANS, the first weekend of April is the time for moving clocks ahead for daylight saving time. As the year progresses toward the June solstice, the Northern Hemisphere gets longer periods of sunlight. Timekeepers came up with daylight saving time — or summer time, as it’s known in other parts of the world — to shift some of that extra sun time from the early morning (when timekeepers need their shut-eye) to the evening (when they play softball).
Not everybody goes along with this plan, as folks in places like Arizona, Hawaii and Indiana know quite well. Each state or country comes up with its own schedule for the switch: This year, many countries went to summer time a week earlier than the United States. And yes, most people in the Southern Hemisphere are moving their clocks back an hour at this time of year.

BOYCOTT DST!!!

Huge

I hate this time of year. Missing an hour of sleep, not to mention adjusting a bajillion clocks/watches doesn't help. :grumpy:

Aunty Em

Q said:
All you US people better remember to turn your clocks AHEAD tonight.

We did that last saturday... except I forgot, so I got a Sunday liein without realising it. :mope:

Mirlyn

Inkara1 said:
I'm just glad that Windows 2000 changes the clock without making you confirm your clock settings like Windows 98 did.

There are several channels here run by local stations that do live radar or community announcements. For a day or so after the timechange, each channel is usually the default blue/green background with the "Your time has been adjusted for DST" (since the images are usually run in PowerPoint and nobody works on Sunday to click ok). Kinda funny.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
More useless crap.

Boycott DST & Ben Franklins 5 & dime (who remembers those?)

But farmers wake with the sun, and supposedly "saving daylight" only puts them out of sync with other businesses. Also, a study of traffic accidents in canada found an 8% jump in crashes on the monday after daylight saving.

It all started back in 1918 when the united states, following the lead of europe during world war I, began daylight saving time to conserve fuel used to produce electric power.that lasted 7 months. Then during world war II we were on daylight saving year round from 1942 to 1945. Same thing during the Arab oil embargo of '73.

For now, Indiana is the only state so divided on the issue of time.

If you're wondering who thought of this whole idea of saving daylight, blame it on a guy who would fly a kite in a thunderstorm. Ben Franklin wrote an essay about the idea in 1784.

alex

For now, Indiana is the only state so divided on the issue of time.

I don't think Arizona observes DST or at least I heard a CNN anchor say something about DST that excluded Indiana and Arizona.

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
Only part of Inidiana observes it, other parts don't. I believe all of Arizona doesn't observe it.

Aunty Em

That must be weird - does that mean you could be living 10 miles down the road from someone who is one hour behind you in time? That must be really disorientating... I'm really glad it doesn't happen here! :eek:

PT

I would guess so Aunty. It would really suck for me. I'd get up at 7, drive an hour to work, get there at 7. Then go home at 4, drive an hour home, and get there at 6. :tardbang:

unclehobart

All of Indiana and Hawaii do not observe DST. 80% of Arizona does not as well. The 20% of the NE of the state that comprises the Navajo territory does.

Janimal

Monday morning...

Did I mention I hate DST??!!

Nevermind now I have to fight with my daughter because she's "not supposed to get ready for bed until the sun goes down".

:grumpy:

PT

I found this about Indiana, it seems most of the controversy is because they are also split among Central and Eastern time.