Death is tough to deal with

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Chemo....modern medicines version of snake oil.

Tell her to take her money & go do any damned thing she has always wanted & refuse that quackery.

Estimations of longevity are purely specualtive. She may last 3 months or 15 years. They know nothing,

Firstly, health care is covered here in Canada.

Secondly, when my dad died from complications from a bone marrow transplant he had NO cancer left in his system...after having had chemo.

TexasRaceLady

Well - Mom-In-Law has Colon Cancer that has spread in to her lungs. They give her 2 years if she does chemo every 2 weeks. She's a strong and otherwise perfectly healthy woman, so I think she'll probably last a lot longer than they anticipate.

I feel so badly for my man for 2 reasons. 1 being that it's hereditary and everyone on his Mom's side has had it and died from it - so this means that he's next on the list. 2 being he now has to deal with his mom having a shortened life.

Spirit, give your MIL all your support in whatever decision she makes. Chemo has come a long way and there are things that can be done to minimize the side-effects.

Tell your man to have a regular colonoscopy and endoscopy to keep on top of things. Early detection means everything.

You have my thoughts and prayers.

Spirit

Kissy Goddess
The treatment is part of our health care coverage here in Canada, so there is no immediate out of pocket expenses. But the nausea pills are $400 each!

She chose the treatment because there are things she wants to do first, one of which is getting her kids ready for it. She did say that if the chemo doesn't appear to reduce the growth at all, then she'll stop and travel like all hell.

And thanks for all the support, guys. I am hoping to draw on those who have gone through it themselves.

xo

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Firstly, health care is covered here in Canada.

Secondly, when my dad died from complications from a bone marrow transplant he had NO cancer left in his system...after having had chemo.

Would he have had marrow if he had not had chemo?

Aunty Em

The treatment is part of our health care coverage here in Canada, so there is no immediate out of pocket expenses. But the nausea pills are $400 each!

She chose the treatment because there are things she wants to do first, one of which is getting her kids ready for it. She did say that if the chemo doesn't appear to reduce the growth at all, then she'll stop and travel like all hell.

And thanks for all the support, guys. I am hoping to draw on those who have gone through it themselves.

xo

Tell her to try sipping ginger beer or ginger tea... ginger is a natural remedy for nausea and morning sickness. It helped me when I was pregnant, it really depends on how bad it is, but it may help reduce the need for the anti-emetics.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Would he have had marrow if he had not had chemo?

No, but the marrow isn't a treatment to get rid of the leukemia, it's a treatment to prevent it from coming back. The fact stands that the chemo got rid of the cancer...the transplant was because the cases of reoccurance when someone doesn't have a bone marrow transplant are sky high (almost guaranteed it'll come back).

Mare

:crap: Oh sweetie, I'm so sorry. I wish there was something i could do to make it all better for you. I'm here if you need to talk, or even if you want to send me irrate emails or pm's..........:retard3: (trying to get you to smile there). I've learned thus far in life that we are always being tested from some higher power (god) and I know its suck and its not fair, but you have to try to be strong foryourself and for your family. Hang in there! We are all here for you.