Declaw or not declaw?

Spirit

Kissy Goddess
My freakin' little shit of a cat!! Ok, she's about 6 months old now and she's got this amazingly adorable face but the worst attitude in the world!! She gets treated like gold, the kids don't tease her or handle her. She's always got food and water and sometimes a little milk or the juice from a can of tuna. Yet, she has a temper like none I have ever seen in a cat before!! She hiss and spits and swipes, claws out and all - for no reason other than **Leave me the hell alone**.

Last night, I was holding her and she turned and looked at me and before I knew it, she had sliced open from under my nose down to the middle of my top lip!! Before I could let go of her, she got a good cut going on my hand by my thumb and an entire section of my index finger. Lots of blood. So my boyfriend grabbed her and held her under a running tap of water, he held her up and said "are you done???" and she hissed and growled, so he held her under the running water again and then asked her again, "are you done???" she hissed again, but that was the last time, I guess she figured she wasn't going to win against this huge human's steely determination.

Problem with Luna (the cat) is - she's done this before - lots - and has had lots of soakings for it. Everyone in this family has been marked up by her. I don't know what to do. She's just not learning.

Do I declaw? Will that prevent her from lashing out? Will she find another way? Is it humane? Do I go through the huge expense to find out she's just a nasty cat and have to put her down? :crying4: Should I give her to a farm family and just get another cat?? I just don't like to be a revolving door for animals, toss one out cuz it's no good. :confused:

I'd give it to a farm family. There are animals that never learn.

on just the declawing, I say...NOT declaw. It's horrible. And, what if she ever got out...she'd never be able to defend herself or catch food. She needs them. There are little "toenail covers" made of rubber you can get to make her less dangerous in the interim, or just keep em well clipped back.

on the vicious cat, I'd guess she'd learn. My cat was horrific as a kitten, so horrific in fact that the vet wanted to send it to a cat behaviourist at U of Guelph. I'd be watching tv, and suddenly literally find a cat at my throat - teeth and claws in full action. And suddenly, he got it, and grew out of it. Give her time. Maybe she didn't have a mom showing her how to be a cat.

Just so that you know, doing that to a cat is grounds for charges. I wouldn't go confessing to it, were I you. As for the cat, stop pulling it back out, and all your problems are solved.

:hmm: Soaking your cat is not illegal, prof unless you do leave it under. I'd say give it to a farm...some cat's just don't 'get it'...

You can't give an indoor cat to a fucking farm in Canada. Be kinder to choke the fucking thing.

Humane Society.

Gato_Solo said:
:hmm: Soaking your cat is not illegal, prof unless you do leave it under. I'd say give it to a farm...some cat's just don't 'get it'...

Really? Call your SPCA and confirm that. I somehow doubt you'll find a sympathetic ear.

Professur said:
Really? Call your SPCA and confirm that. I somehow doubt you'll find a sympathetic ear.

SPCA my ass...talk to your local veterenarian. It's allowed, as long as the animal isn't hurt. Just because the cat doesn't like water, it doesn't mean you can't soak it. If your SPCA is against it, then they need to stop reading PETA books, and start asking vets the hard questions...

Gato_Solo said:
SPCA my ass...talk to your local veterenarian. It's allowed, as long as the animal isn't hurt. Just because the cat doesn't like water, it doesn't mean you can't soak it. If your SPCA is against it, then they need to stop reading PETA books, and start asking vets the hard questions...

Hey, don't kill the messenger. I'm all for drowning cats and kids.

Professur said:
Hey, don't kill the messenger. I'm all for drowning cats and kids.

Who's killing the messenger? Just pointing you down the path to 'enlightenment', instead of the path to PC bullshit. ;)

What was that line from Matrix? There's a world of difference between knowing the path, and walking the path. Just because I don't open doors for wimmen anymore, doesn't mean I'm not a male chauvenistic pig.

When the cat exhibits bad behavior, depending upon your distance to the little bastard; spray him with a water bottle and give a firm 'no' command, give him a thwack up the nose with a firm 'no' command, or loudly shake a glass jar with a dozen coins in it while giving the 'no' command.

Something went amiss in this cats socialization and it needs to be reset. There is always the chance that he is a hardwired evil sonofbitch.

WHOA WHOA!! No no no.. not hold it's HEAD under the water!! Shit - if he did that, I'd do the same to him! No... he SOAKS the WHOLE cat - then she spends the next hour or two drying herself off - gives her time to cool off.

I did some reading on declawing and I think I'm gonna have to pass because it's a form of amputation!! They have to remove part of the bone to get the claw out. No way will I do that my cat.

Perhaps she's just too little.. maybe spaying her will settle her down?

unclehobart said:
When the cat exhibits bad behavior, depending upon your distance to the little bastard; spray him with a water bottle and give a firm 'no' command, give him a thwack up the nose with a firm 'no' command, or loudly shake a glass jar with a dozen coins in it while giving the 'no' command.

Something went amiss in this cats socialization and it needs to be reset. There is always the chance that he is a hardwired evil sonofbitch.

We have two spray bottles - whenever she gets on a counter or on the table, we spray her. Now, she just cringes and waits for the water, she actually seems to like it now. :confused: The only thing we haven't tried is the jar of coins, I'll try that today.

First of all, you're not suppose to soak a cat, that is cruelty to animals. You are suppose to use a spray bottle and just spray them when they're acting up or doing something bad.

Second, declawing is cruel. Just cut the claws!

Third, take it to your vet and get her fixed if she isn't already, and that should calm her down a little. While you're at the vets, speak to him/her about the temperament of the cat and see what he suggests.

Spirit said:
Then how do you bathe a cat?

I'd suggest a large sack, some 550 cord, a few construction blocks, and a small lake, but that would go against my nature. :D

Back