Declaw or not declaw?

Uki : I passed on good karma : Peace, k? I would never hurt an animal and neither would you - so we both win :)

Spirit said:
Uki : I passed on good karma : Peace, k? I would never hurt an animal and neither would you - so we both win :)

Not a problem Spirit. All I'm saying is do some homework before doing anything to the cat that they might not like. Remember, they can't tell you what they want or what is bothering them. :swing:

I have cats, and had multiple cats for years. I have always insisted that they be totally declawed and spayed or neutered when the vet says they are old enough . I have all leather furniture that they would only abuse while i was gone. And i had/have little ones that i preferred to no get all scratched up. It is very easy for a cat (who stand in their own waste to go take a dump) to pass on all kinds of nasty germs. And they are not a very clean animal if your depending on them to clean themselves.
We started them out from the begining bathing them in the tub. the water level is only a couple inches deep so not to scare the hell out of them and make them not want near it. I have yet to have a vet tell me to wipe them down instead. Wiping will not help control the dander, or the shedding.

As for the temperment, the cats i have now are very similiar to dogs, they have chosen who they like in the family and will listen(as much as a cat can) to them, but the rest of us, well as long as they arent biting they get to stay.

i don't like declawing myself but i was actually thinking...thinking about declawing her front legs because she is a stone cold murderer. she'll attack anything smaller than her. mice, voles, chipmunks, birds. keeping her in is not viable. she will get out but i am afraid that i would leave her too defenseless.

Spirit said:
Then how do you bathe a cat?

Ain't nothing wrong with bathing a cat, but when you leave it to dry after soaking it in water, without drying it first, in an on-coming winter season.... well. :alienhuh:

Anyway, cats really dislike loud noises, so that jar of coins might be a good thing. Talking to the vet may help as well - they might have some good suggestions on how to get around behaviourial disorders like this.

I am adamantly against de-clawing.

I would try to train her first. Your vet can give you some poiners. In the meantime you can get those little covers for thier claws untill she has been trained. It is possible that she may have a nuerological disfuntion that sends a shock to her brain that reads as pain after you touch her too much. My kitty is like that I and I work at a shelter with other cats that are like that. If training doesn't work, or just not touching her for too long of a period of time, I would go ahead and declaw her. I prefer not to declaw kitties, but sometiems it is neccessary in order to keep them.

Good luck.

tonksy said:
i don't like declawing myself but i was actually thinking...thinking about declawing her front legs because she is a stone cold murderer. she'll attack anything smaller than her. mice, voles, chipmunks, birds. keeping her in is not viable. she will get out but i am afraid that i would leave her too defenseless.

If she gets out, don't declaw her. Just trim her claws a little every so often. That's what I do with my three. You definitely don't want her to be defenseless outdoors.

NOO! for godsake, NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Declawing is barbaric, and definately not the answer.

Its still only a kitten, it will eventually grow out of it...perhaps it just doesn't like to be handled...and many kittens don't like being held until they grow older and get more docile. SO perhaps its best just to leave it alone but try and 'tame' it by rewarding it with treats etc...?

Heres an excellent link I found for ya:
Declawing...do you really understand what this means?

Scroll down and you'll find it has a few good links on it, such as this one - about dealing biting and scratching in kittens;
biting and Scratching

;)
And here is something about Declawing from the ASPCA, it discourages declawing and offers some good alternative ways to combat the behaviour...
ASPCA

The term "declaw" is a misnomer implying that just the claws are removed. This is untrue - declawing actually involves amputation of the end of the cat's toes. Cats suffer significant pain recovering from declawing....

Either form of surgery is highly discouraged. Indeed, declawing and tenectomy are illegal in some European countries. It is ASPCA policy to recommend considering such surgeries only if concerted behavior modification efforts have failed and euthanasia is pending.

Uki Chick said:
Far from it! Before they came out with the wipes, I used to give them a bath in the tub. So don't assume anything, unless you're living under my roof.

I didn't assume...chicken. :D Notice the use of the smilie face, yet again :grinyes:

I guess it would depend how one loves their cat :D

Two women attempted to experience sexual pleasure from an intimate contact with a cat. The weird endeavor ended rather sad for one of the women: she was hospitalized with severe genital injuries.

Ouch!

I'd have to say no to the declaw too, I find it cruel. If it's just an attack cat, meaning it attacks without provocation, have it put to sleep or send it to a dairy farm somewhere. Some cats are just mean, or just don't know any better.

She's 7 months old and I am going to call a Clinic today or tomorrow to book to have her spayed.

If, in the next couple of months following the spaying, she doesn't settle down, I'll have to find her somewhere to live. My sister's ex boyfriend has a farm and he has this HUGE pet house that's heated for all the cats and dogs he owns. She'll be happier there, I think. We'll see.

Back