did you do it?

23rd of december is the official tree day, any earlier and the needles start falling, decorations come down flies start hanging round, it loses it's smell....... and it's bad luck to have it up any later than new years eve

Used to put it up with Katie a few days before christmas... I don't feel very inclined this year. I still have all the condolence cards displayed, I won't take them down before May 7th next year. The fact is, I'm not planning on celebrating anything for a long time.

staffrodore said:
23rd of december is the official tree day, any earlier and the needles start falling, decorations come down flies start hanging round, it loses it's smell....... and it's bad luck to have it up any later than new years eve

Really?? Traditionally people who celebrate an old fashion christmas...especially around here...keep it up til old christmas day...Jan 6 I think...my mom is the un-decorator here though (I do the decorating) and she usually has it down no later than New Years day. Just cause she gets tired of looking at it.

we bought a good sturdy tree whose needles shouldn't be too much of an issue. i guess we'll take it down a couple days after christmas.

Aunty Em said:
Used to put it up with Katie a few days before christmas... I don't feel very inclined this year. I still have all the condolence cards displayed, I won't take them down before May 7th next year. The fact is, I'm not planning on celebrating anything for a long time.

Not too sure if you're churchy or anything...but churchy or not, there are usually lots of events going on around this time of the year to help people who are entering the holiday season while dealing with a loss. There are lots of things that you can do to help yourself get through this season. My personal recommendations - working with teh Christmas baskets crew (helping to prepare the baskets, getting donations, delivery etc...) which puts you in a mood where you're helping others who have other issues. Working in a shelter or food-bank is good too. Giving a little of yourself to help make another's Christmas season brighter will strengthen your heart somewhat, and give you some time away from home. The condolence cards are a nice touch, but they aren't doing you any good psychologically.
There's nothing wrong with remembering your daughter, but I hope that you can take more time remembering the smiles during this season than the losses. :hug:

Last year we tried a live tree for the first time. I was always hesitant about them...ever since, at age 10, one caught fire while we were visiting family in Trois-Rivières, and destroyed all the gifts, the tree, and a couch. Our family went 'fake' thereafter.

This year, the lights will be going up next weekend....it's been a busy coupla weeks, ya know. The tree will go up during the 2nd week of December. Any earlier and the cats will destroy it, any later and the tree-shortage will come back and bite us in the butt.

We did? I don't remember them. Must have been your tree... or some kind of Charlie Brown Christmas type of feeble tree.

Nope. 6 footers at least 2 of those years. Remember the Pinehurst house? Had it right between the easy chairs.

HomeLAN said:
Nope. 6 footers at least 2 of those years. Remember the Pinehurst house? Had it right between the easy chairs.
Strangely enough, I do not. I must have been very down on Christmas in that time frame... or seriously drugged out of my gourd.

MrBishop said:
Not too sure if you're churchy or anything...but churchy or not, there are usually lots of events going on around this time of the year to help people who are entering the holiday season while dealing with a loss. There are lots of things that you can do to help yourself get through this season. My personal recommendations - working with teh Christmas baskets crew (helping to prepare the baskets, getting donations, delivery etc...) which puts you in a mood where you're helping others who have other issues. Working in a shelter or food-bank is good too. Giving a little of yourself to help make another's Christmas season brighter will strengthen your heart somewhat, and give you some time away from home. The condolence cards are a nice touch, but they aren't doing you any good psychologically.
There's nothing wrong with remembering your daughter, but I hope that you can take more time remembering the smiles during this season than the losses. :hug:
Not this year Bish, I can't deal with all that yet, I need to deal with Christmas without Katie head on, not run away from it. Plus I'm can't walk far or do anything too strenuous cos of my own condition atm. I don't know, I may still put up the tree in her memory, it's something she loved to do.

I don't really want other people around me, I find it very hard to be with them atm, mainly 'cos most of the time I want to cry and I don't want to do that in public, but I won't be alone because I have my cat and I'll be looking after my brother's German Shepard, Shelley, while they are visiting my other brother and sister-in-law in Germany. I'll probably make some phonecalls to wish people well, plus I'm probably be going to go to church... yeah you heard it here first... this dedicated non-christian may be undergoing a change of attitude.

I'm trying to move on, but I'm not ready to put the cards away yet.

My mom won't put up her tree untill the 22nd or so. Erik and I aren't spening any of our Christmas at our house (and the roomate doesn't want a tree) so we won't be putting one up. His mom will put one up soon and we will help out with that.

Nixy said:
Really?? Traditionally people who celebrate an old fashion christmas...especially around here...keep it up til old christmas day...Jan 6 I think...my mom is the un-decorator here though (I do the decorating) and she usually has it down no later than New Years day. Just cause she gets tired of looking at it.

No our tree is not up yet!!! :crying4:
My mom calls it little christmas-South Philly style. She leaves it up till then too and when we would come back from the news years parade for soup it would be so cozy warm still seeing the decorations.

tonksy said:
we bought a good sturdy tree whose needles shouldn't be too much of an issue. i guess we'll take it down a couple days after christmas.

It's a real tree? Bought off a lot?

I bet it's been cut for a good two weeks now...hope it stays looking good for you.

Nixy said:
It's a real tree? Bought off a lot?

I bet it's been cut for a good two weeks now...hope it stays looking good for you.
yup...it's a frasier fir...something like that. smells wonderful has has tiny needles.

Back