do you have a tv?

Spirit said:
both on the fritz.

Kruz... gimme one of yours:grumpy:

:D

That could be aranged, you would have to come and get it.
*grabs digi-cam and a fresh memory stick*:headbang:

a 27" and a 19", both trinitrons, i never watch TV shows but i'm all about the PS2 and loud movies with things blowing up.

I really don't understand... why does anyone need so many TVs? Or do they procreate or something if you have more than one? ?(

Aunty Em said:
I really don't understand... why does anyone need so many TVs? Or do they procreate or something if you have more than one? ?(
only if you have cable, they can't do it through the air, duh.:retard:

I am a poor student and can't aford £100+ a year for a TV licence, so I have no TV. Thankfully Chimaera (my monster of a PC) has a DVD ROM so I can still watch films.

tommyj27 said:
Kruz said:
a TV licence
WHAT???( that sucks
what is this? 1984?

here in the UK the government propoganda.....ahem BBC stations are funded by the TV Licence. Good thing is no Adverts on BBC, bad thing is they can show pretty much watever rubbish they like and still get paid because if you recieve TV signals you have to pay the TV Licence fee which is about £110 a year.

The licencing authoritys have detectors which can tell if you're using a TV tuner, and any time you buy a TV or Video its reported to them, so its pretty risky to try and get away without a licence.

A shitload of them
19" 20 year old Sony in basement
13" GE in kitched
27" Toshiba in family room //hooked up to Nintendo 64
32" Magnavox in living room
25" Panasonic in parents bedroom
20" Toshiba in computer room

And I almost never watch them, except for According to Jim at 8:30 Tuesday night on ABC, and for playing nintendo games

Computer Monitors (that my uncle and I have, we share a lot of parts)
2 x 22" Compaq P1210 with Diamondtron
2 x 19" (Magview and Viewsonic)
6 x 15"
6 x NEC 21"
4 x 17"
9" Compaq (On my 8088)
10" NEC LCD

Mongoose said:
here in the UK the government propoganda.....ahem BBC stations are funded by the TV Licence. Good thing is no Adverts on BBC, bad thing is they can show pretty much watever rubbish they like and still get paid because if you recieve TV signals you have to pay the TV Licence fee which is about £110 a year.

sorry, can't just let that sit there in case some people read it and take it as gospel truth... the bbc is very good. they have excellently done programs, production values are very high, journalistic integrity is high. the bbc provides a good service.

Mongoose said:
The licencing authoritys have detectors which can tell if you're using a TV tuner, and any time you buy a TV or Video its reported to them, so its pretty risky to try and get away without a licence.

heh, now that is licencing authority propoganda... they know which houses don't have licences, and because most people have a tv it's pretty obvious who to hassle. those detector vans are a myth.

nambit said:
heh, now that is licencing authority propoganda... they know which houses don't have licences, and because most people have a tv it's pretty obvious who to hassle. those detector vans are a myth.

mmmm pretty solid looking myth to me, they cruise around Uni campus frequently. Many of their supposed abilities are indeed mythical but the vans exist. Tis not even particularly complex technology.

The BBC do not IMO show nearly enough good programs to justify the £110 a year, and their news reporting is quite deffinitly government biased (its better than many I'll admit). AFAIC the best thing about the BBC is Radios 2 and 4, which you don't have to pay to recieve.

If you like the BBC, pay the licence. I don't like the way they spend my money, so I don't give them my money. IMO the BBC really should stop pretending to be free and be a proper subscription channel, so those of us who don't wish to view it can opt out without opting out of ITV, C4 and C5 as well.

PS I'm kinda hoping you're right about the detector vans though, if so they'll be after me before long.....gotta start thinking of ways to string them along just in case.........might be fun.

tommyj27 said:
Kruz said:
a TV licence
WHAT???( that sucks
what is this? 1984?

My new TV licence just popped through the door this morning. It's compulsory to have one here or you get a big fine. It costs me £29.25 every 3 months.... basically it funds the BBC as it is a non-commercial organisation that is available to everyone - includes radio and 4 or 5 TV stations.

I won't get into whether or not it's worth it, but the vans do exist. Most students are covered by their parents licence, I thought, so long as the TV is portable and they are in university accomodation and their parents home is their normal residence outside uni? ?(

Back