do you recycle?

Are recycling services available to you and if so, do you?

• I have recycling services and I use them.

Votes: 9 69.2%
  • I have recycling services and I don't use them.

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Recycling isn't an option and I could care less.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Recycling isn't an option and I wish it were.

Votes: 1 7.7%

• Total voters

tommyj27

Not really Banned
i'm just curious, recycling is pushed pretty big here yet i have friends who think nothing of tossing a soda can in the trash or out the car window.

Ours recently stopped taking plastic. I think its just tin and glass now. Aluminum used to be bought back by the pound (scrap) in stores, but I don't think you can even recycle it it for free anymore. Costs too much, they say.

I think I also caught wind of them contemplating stopping glass. Seems people in this area can't determine green from brown from clear, and its not efficient to sort that stuff upon processing (since most of it is broken by then anyway). Sad.

Recycling trucks come on the same day as trash. They provide us with one bin for metal/glass/plastic, one for paper, and one for yard trimmings. I hardly have any trash at the end of the week that's not recycled.

I've worked in a couple places where people have walked right past a recycling bin to throw their soda can in the trash. As if they were anti-recycling or something.

Not caring is annoying, but going out of your way to not recycle is just baffling.

flavio said:
Recycling trucks come on the same day as trash. They provide us with one bin for metal/glass/plastic, one for paper, and one for yard trimmings. I hardly have any trash at the end of the week that's not recycled.

I've worked in a couple places where people have walked right past a recycling bin to throw their soda can in the trash. As if they were anti-recycling or something.

Not caring is annoying, but going out of your way to not recycle is just baffling.

I think ours is that yard trimmings is supposed to go in a clear bag, regular trash is in black bags. Recycling pick-up used to be weekly, now its monthly.

How many of you have to pay for that priveledge to recycle?
Here in In. we get the honor of having to pay for trash pickup and recycling. and then the best part, we get to seperate it all for them. the guy never gets out of his truck.

I voted that we don't have them, but that's not quite true. You can actually make money off of aluminum, sells for around .23 a pound. Basically translates to about 40 to 50 bucks for a truckload. As for the others, there are places around to take them, but all in different locations, so recycling would involve loading it all up on the truck and driving to about 4 different places to get rid of it all, so, I just throw it all away, except for the cans, I save those and cash them in every 6 months or so.

I recycle everything I can. Plastic, metal, aluminum, oil, batteries and paper. They stopped taking glass a couple of years ago and they won't take big pieces of cardboard. There must be something about Gatorade plastic bottles, they won't take them :confuse3:

Hey Mirlyn, remember saving cans when you were a kid? In Iowa you pay a .05 deposit on every can of soda you buy, then get the nickel back when you return the empty can. I filled up many a gas tank when I was a kid by saving up those cans. Iowa started that probably around 81 or 82. Seemed to work really well, you go walking some ditches up there, you won't find too many cans in the ditch, now if they offered a deposit on McDonalds bags. :rolleyes:

Flav said it I think, he doesn't understand how people can go out of their way to not recycle. One of my biggest pet peeves is littering. The other day I was at the Drive - Thru at Taco Bell, and the woman in front of me gets her food and drink, takes the wrapper off the straw and just chucks it out the window. Now there is a trash can 15 feet in front of her that she can pull her car up to for that very purpose, but she decides she's just going to throw it on the ground. Bitch. I fucking hate people who think that the earth is their trash can.

Yes we do. Here at school they have some crazt no cardboard int he recycling rule...

At home though we have a blue bin for plastic, aluminum and glass, a grey bin for paper and cardboard and our yardtrimming have to be putout in an open top paperbag I believe (they change it so much. First it was any open top container or clear bag (so they could tell what it was), then it was only open top containers and now I think it is only paper bags...)

Aluminum cans (I know all you Brits theink I spelled that wrong:elaugh2: ) and cardboard. Our county doesn't have recycling, and I don't have a convenient way to recycle anything else.

I think we have recycling services available but it costs too much and/or our one recycling bin got picked up by the trash guy and thrown away.

samcurry said:
How many of you have to pay for that priveledge to recycle?
Here in In. we get the honor of having to pay for trash pickup and recycling. and then the best part, we get to seperate it all for them. the guy never gets out of his truck.

We do. Separate company of the trash pickup too. Its two guys in an old ambulance pulling a big flatbed trailer with homemade dividers. They just look like trash.

Hey Mirlyn, remember saving cans when you were a kid? In Iowa you pay a .05 deposit on every can of soda you buy, then get the nickel back when you return the empty can. I filled up many a gas tank when I was a kid by saving up those cans. Iowa started that probably around 81 or 82. Seemed to work really well, you go walking some ditches up there, you won't find too many cans in the ditch, now if they offered a deposit on McDonalds bags.
I actually lived in Ft Dodge for about 9-10 months (until I got out of the hospital) then moved to Austin, MN, then to here when I was 2 so I didnt grow up there. I still proudly claim myself as being from there though. As a kid, nearly every summer was spent up on the family farm. I do remember driving the ditches, and my younger cousin (who lives on the farm; about two miles north of Williams at the four-way) still does it to this day. :)

It's not unusual to see a six- or twelve-pack laying empty in the ditches here. Cans/bottles and all. It's sickening. :disgust2:

chcr said:
Our county doesn't have recycling, and I don't have a convenient way to recycle anything else.

Hey chcr, I used to work for Square D in Smyrna TN. Did you ever hear about those unwanted pet, drop off buildings they built in Smyrna? There was a big stink over those things. They had two chute doors on the front, one said "Kittens and Puppies" the other said "Cats and Large Dogs". It was built right next to the garbage drop-off site (Smyrna didn't have garbage pickup).

Back