eBay doesn't like homeschoolers

A GED is the standard homeschool diploma. Since, by Indiana law, no outsider can provide the homeschooling education who is gonna give a diploma? Once the parent turms over the authority to another, the other must be an accredited teacher.

Since we plan on returning him to the public system for his secondary education, in AP courses, he'll get the higher level education that we are unable to provide. After witnessing the lack of discipline & the amount of information they fail to teach in elementary, it was the only choice (for under $10k a year).

As far as a pulse & a tuition...that's less the case with the far higher percapita percentage of homeschooled scholarships awarded. Most state universities need 90% to support the work of 10%. Same as the real world.

A GED is the standard homeschool diploma.

Do tell. And you consider that worth the paper it's printed on? I deal with GED recipients five days a week, as well as those court ordered to obtain them. If that was all my kid had, I'd consider myself a failure as a parent. But that's just me.

So why send 'em to a public high school? Kinda defeats your argument doesn't it? Think they aren't gonna be impacted socially by being thrust into that world after being unseen in school for X years? If your earlier arguments are right, they'll be so much smarter than anyone else around them. THAT won't impact 'em at all. Bored kids can be a dangerous thing, ya know.

Just wondering how you intend to combat these things is all. It's still no skin off my nose either way, and if I wanted to try and win a petty semantic online pissing match I'd pick a different topic. :p

One needn't be required to be capable of readin', 'riting & 'rithmatic to get a diploma. A GED at least proves some ability.

We don't homeschool for social reasons. He's already impacted, on a daily basis, by the outside world. Which is why I denounce the empty argument about lost socialization. AP courses are considerably advanced over standard HS fare.

One needn't be required to be capable of readin', 'riting & 'rithmatic to get a diploma. A GED at least proves some ability.

We don't homeschool for social reasons. He's already impacted, on a daily basis, by the outside world. Which is why I denounce the empty argument about lost socialization. AP courses are considerably advanced over standard HS fare.

True enough. We need do no more than flip on ESPN to see that point glaringly proven.

And I fear you will learn all too soon whether the social impact is as empty as you consider it. But still, no skin off'n this sniffer.

One last question, and I'll let it lie. During your own educational experience, which I assume roughly parallels my own in the sense of era, and I further assume did not include home school options on a broad basis, how did the kids who either moved in to your school or showed up infrequently fare socially? And did that have any impact whatsoever on their ability to participate fully in the whole school experience?

I was one of the kids who moved...annually. New schools yearly until 5th or 6th grade. It took a couple of weeks to get into the social scene. I can add that the whole school experience didn't seem important then...or now.

[edit](one school from 5th-8th & one high school (not affiliated to the previous district for HS)

when i showed up half way through the first grade in detroit from kentucky, they thought i was retarded.

yep....

The Greene County Board of Education did not act on Thursday on a Doty Chapel Road family’s request to waive board policy so that their home-schooled son could play football this fall for the county school system’s Northside team this fall.

Link to local fish wrapper

Here we go again. "Our child is too good for the cretins in public school. We choose to home school. It's much better, plus it makes us morally superior to those about us. But we demand that he be given the right to play football in the public school system, because that's also what we want."

It's black and white folks. You is in or you is out. You chose out. Stay out. No reason for the county school to add your little brat to their liablity insurance if/when his pansy protected sheltered bell gets rung by one of the knuckle dragging cretins from another [disdain] public [/disdain] school. So quit your whining, take little Mortimer back home, and teach him more of what you wish for him to learn. Leave the rest of us alone. You're too good for us 363 days a year, so don't come begging now.

[/tirade...for now]

I think the public school schedule should be revised to eliminate the summer vacation. Have four two-week-long breaks spread throughout the year: One at winter (extending the traditional holidays break), one in the spring (extending the traditional spring break), one starting at what used to be the end of the school year, and another one ending at what used to be the start of the school year. Four or five weeks of the old summer vacation are recovered and converted into the school year. While not a huge savings, it does spread the unproductive time around some. This lessens the effects of the huge knowledge loss that any teacher will tell you occurs over the summer, which in turn reduces all the time wasted in much of the first quarter reviewing and recovering what was taught the prior year.

The reason for the extended summer break goes back to when the kids were needed on the farm for the family to survive. While most areas and most families operate differently now, I know there is still some need for kids to help with raising the crops during the summer. So while your idea may work for the vast majority, I think each district should consider how many of the kids work on farms and such before doing this.

We don't farm per se, but we usually have quite the garden and I know that every pair of hands I get wrapped around a hoe handle is welcome assistance. Other areas of the country may still need their kids more during summer months for farming tasks; I don't know.

Here we go again. "Our child is too good for the cretins in public school. We choose to home school. It's much better, plus it makes us morally superior to those about us. But we demand that he be given the right to play football in the public school system, because that's also what we want."

It's black and white folks. You is in or you is out. You chose out. Stay out. No reason for the county school to add your little brat to their liablity insurance if/when his pansy protected sheltered bell gets rung by one of the knuckle dragging cretins from another [disdain] public [/disdain] school. So quit your whining, take little Mortimer back home, and teach him more of what you wish for him to learn. Leave the rest of us alone. You're too good for us 363 days a year, so don't come begging now.

yeah I dunno about the ball/activities part, but our reason for home schooling
wasn't other kids, it was/is the administration of the schools in this area.

I know that's not exactly what you are referring to, but I just though I'd clarify Our situation.:nerd:

Generally speaking normal State Schools over here are useless. They don't educate, they babysit and train monkeys to jump through hoops.

If my daughter hadn't needed special education she would have been home schooled. Fortunately the Special Schools are usually very good, even if the education officials who supposedly run them are bloody idiots. If she'd stayed in a normal state school Katie would never have learnt to read. As it was she read at a 7 year old level which was very good for a child with her learning disabilities.

I sincerely feel sorry for every child who has to go through our education system these days.

well in this area, we see now the "no child left behind" as designed,
causes more problem than it tries to fix.

The concept is excellent, but something just doesn't work with it.

Back