eBay doesn't like homeschoolers

That being that not every child has the same skills and capabilities. As much as people wholeheartedly believe that everyone is or at least can become equal, it isn't true and this homogenization can lead to more problems in the future :shrug:

Exceptions exist of course, but by and large this is the attitude that emanates from those who take this route.

stereotype.

I do agree with your sentiment about if you're out, be all the way out but there are two distinct sectors of homeschooling.

Religious based
&
education based.

The two may mix but those are by & large the chief reasons for getting out of the government runs, union approved public education system whose motto is "Either you are one of us or you will be".

That being that not every child has the same skills and capabilities. As much as people wholeheartedly believe that everyone is or at least can become equal, it isn't true and this homogenization can lead to more problems in the future :shrug:

well from what I'm hearing, that is indeed part of it, but only part.

I hear from teachers that the tests don't particularly go with the text
books so much, so rather than teaching the text, they have to spend
all the time Just getting the kids to the point where the can Just pass the tests.

If you teach with Only passing a test in mind, then it's not really the best way
because the kids feel they only have to retain th information long enough to
pass the test.

My eldest niece is a prime example of the system at work.
She graduated with near honors, and one year later, she can't figure simple square root,
know her times tables to 12s, not to mention other subjects.

Teachers can't have an effective 'style' with the current requirement held over their head.

Less politic, and more of some kind of different incentive toward 'real world'
trades need to be the focus IMO.

IMO somewhere before High-school kids need to be tested (basically somehow)
then be taught Mostly in the areas they like, and will excel in.

In other words, HS should be more like universities, like having A Major...

General education should be a sufficient major in HS, providing that they teach our kids instead of babysitting and training monkeys to jump through hoops (great one Aunty).

it is a provin fact that a kid is easier to teach, and will excel more in a subject they like.

by 6th grade if they can't pass remedial skill levels in the 3 Rs then those
areas should be required minors is special classes.

I've got a whole new system in mind, but that's just me, maybe Not the best,
but I just saying, what is now in place is failing, so...:p

All I can relate to if what worked for me, as a /hs drop out, now with some degrees.

I'm sure in many cases, when a kid finds what they like, and are shown the
possibilities in that area, then all that is needed are the tools, and 'slight' guidence. They will then excel in that area. That will also probably lead them
then to be more interested is other areas that are somewhat linked to that subject.

well from what I'm hearing, that is indeed part of it, but only part.

I hear from teachers that the tests don't particularly go with the text
books so much, so rather than teaching the text, they have to spend
all the time Just getting the kids to the point where the can Just pass the tests.

If you teach with Only passing a test in mind, then it's not really the best way
because the kids feel they only have to retain th information long enough to
pass the test.

My eldest niece is a prime example of the system at work.
She graduated with near honors, and one year later, she can't figure simple square root,
know her times tables to 12s, not to mention other subjects.

Teachers can't have an effective 'style' with the current requirement held over their head.

Less politic, and more of some kind of different incentive toward 'real world'
trades need to be the focus IMO.

IMO somewhere before High-school kids need to be tested (basically somehow)
then be taught Mostly in the areas they like, and will excel in.

In other words, HS should be more like universities, like having A Major...

Exactly, they're trained to pass tests, not to understand what they are doing or gasp the broader aspects of a subject... that's not an education. That's why you get kids coming out of school who can bearly read and add up.

The trouble is funding is based on Sat results and until that is changed the system won't. The result is less able kids who can't keep up, more able kids who are bored out of their skulls and the average kid who does well in school but hasn't a clue when they graduate.

We're not giving our children the education and skills that they need or that we need as constantly developing nations for our future workforce. I don't see kids coming out of school with a real love of learning anymore. Education doesn't stop at the school door, it's a lifelong necessity and it shouldn't be a chore, but something you enjoy doing to expand your knowledge and understanding and make you a more rounded individual. One size fits all is crap. It doesnt work.

Exactly, they're trained to pass tests, not to understand what they are doing or gasp the broader aspects of a subject... that's not an education. That's why you get kids coming out of school who can bearly read and add up.

Ding, ding, ding! We have a winner.

That is the exact reason I quit the classroom --- I was not allowed to educate.

The reason for the extended summer break goes back to when the kids were needed on the farm for the family to survive. While most areas and most families operate differently now, I know there is still some need for kids to help with raising the crops during the summer. So while your idea may work for the vast majority, I think each district should consider how many of the kids work on farms and such before doing this.

We don't farm per se, but we usually have quite the garden and I know that every pair of hands I get wrapped around a hoe handle is welcome assistance. Other areas of the country may still need their kids more during summer months for farming tasks; I don't know.

I understand the origin of the summer break, but I think the reason for it is gone enough now to do away with it now. For those who need more help on the farms, let the illegal immigrants do it. I think the standards should be national for uniformity.

I also think that the education system in this country needs to be moved up much higher on the priority ladder. Well, I hope we all agree with that. But with limited resources, either the government has to pinch our pockets even more than they already are, or something else has to suffer.

I say, and have always said, let the criminal justice system suffer. It's not like it's very effective to begin with. I have always firmly believed that an investment in the education system now, with continued support in the future, will eventually greatly reduce the need to have a criminal justice system in the first place. But it will take a long time to accomplish, longer than most policiticans will be in office, so they aren't willing to stand up for it since the results won't be credited to them. And in the meantime, some criminals won't be caught, some won't spend as much time in jail as they should. It's called a short-term sacrifice for the long-term good. And when we're done with the education system, the criminal justice system can be reformed from a penal system to a rehabilitation system, but that's a topic for another thread at another time.

Oh, and the criminal justice system isn't the only thing that needs to suffer while education is improved.

Once we get our people better educated, we'll be able to greatly reduce spending on social services, too.

Once we get our people better educated, we'll be able to greatly reduce spending on social services, too.

Obviously, because an educated person is more adaptable when it comes to job hunting and retaining a job and doesn't need to rely on a support system quite so much.

On a perfect world that's true. However if there is more offer than demand, then things end up at the same point. If everybody is educated how do you choose who to hire? There aren't enough jobs for everyone. There will always be poor and rich people, no matter what level of education they have.

It should be noted that that attitude doesn't end at highschool. Computer certification classes are the same thing. They study the exam and teach you how to pass it. It's rendered the certifications a joke in the industry. You've got 20 year old MCSEs who can barely create a network user, never mind recover and debug a crashed system. Used to be that an MCSE could make use of the BSOD ... not anymore.

aunty em said:
Originally Posted by Aunty Em

Or spell? ;)

LMAO! My fingers are dyslexic... :p

It happens all the time, the right letters in the wrong order, I just usually edit it before anyone sees it.

There aren't enough jobs for everyone. There will always be poor and rich people, no matter what level of education they have.

Two seperate issues.

One-there are jobs for everyone. Not everyone wants job. We have a 4% unemployment level yet the papers & websites are full of job openings.

Two-Educated people can chose to be poor (not as rich) & the uneducated can earn great wealth. They are not mutually exclusive. The best educated tend to have a better overall income but they are seldomly "the rich".

Two seperate issues.

One-there are jobs for everyone. Not everyone wants job. We have a 4% unemployment level yet the papers & websites are full of job openings.

Well, if everyone is very well educated then no one would like to mop floors or clean toilets. ;)

Two-Educated people can chose to be poor (not as rich) & the uneducated can earn great wealth. They are not mutually exclusive. The best educated tend to have a better overall income but they are seldomly "the rich".
Agree.

Shitty jobs (no pun initially intended) make good paychecks, more often than not. Not executive level good but everyting is relative.

I know of one case, a friend, ...Majored in Drafting 4 years.
Got a job straight out of college, and worked it another 4 years.
Now he works a much more unskilled job because of less stress.
(maybe other reasons too)

Some people just don't have the desire to do white collar, they'd just
as soon do something they feel less mentally demanding.:shrug:

Back