Elderly Driver to Be Sentenced in Crash

highwayman

Who remembers seeing this?
The man could die at any time....

http://www.newsday.com/news/nationw...57175.story?coll=sns-ap-nationworld-headlines
LOS ANGELES -- George Russell Weller's daughter has told a judge that her 89-year-old father is "dying before our eyes" and should receive probation for killing 10 people and wounding 73 when his car roared through an outdoor farmers market three years ago.

Superior Court Judge Michael Johnson, who is scheduled to announce Weller's sentence on Monday, has a unique dilemma: How to punish an ailing convict whose case has created endless sorrow but few calls for imprisonment. Even some surviving victims have said they do not want to see Weller go to prison.

Put the daughter in jail for letting her 89-year old father, who was 'dying before her eyes' when he plowed into that crowd, behind the wheel.

What the hell happened to mandatory testing of elderly drivers?

God... don't put him in jail whatever you do. It would cost the taxpayers a mil a year until he dies with all of the special medical needs he would be landing. His cell would have to have a wheelchair ramp.

Put the daughter in jail for letting her 89-year old father, who was 'dying before her eyes' when he plowed into that crowd, behind the wheel.

What the hell happened to mandatory testing of elderly drivers?
There no way it would become legal to test seniors. They are, as a voting block, as powerful as it gets. They smoke all politicians that bring up any sort of restriction talk.

There no way it would become legal to test seniors. They as a voting block as powerful as it gets. They smoke all politicians that bring up any sort of restriction talk.

pfft. Politicians are pussies!

rev-0604.jpg

They don't have to re-test? I'm sure they do over here at any rate, cos the BF's grandad lost his license recently.

There used to be retesting... but it got phased down to nothing more than a cursory 15 second eyetest that you get as many chances as you need to pass.

I've always maintained, you can drop insurance rates by 30% if you put in place a mandatory retest every 5 years .... and after every moving violation .... for everyone.

I've always maintained, you can drop insurance rates by 30% if you put in place a mandatory retest every 5 years .... and after every moving violation .... for everyone.

Then you'll have to increase taxes for all that retesting. The first bit (every 5 years) is good...but after every moving violation? That'd bankrupt Quebec in about 3 months.

Tests are paid by the testee, or have you forgotten that?

And I expect that if, for every speeding ticket you get, you need to take a day off work and go get retested ... I expect the speed limit might find itself back in vogue.

Tests are paid by the testee, or have you forgotten that?

And I expect that if, for every speeding ticket you get, you need to take a day off work and go get retested ... I expect the speed limit might find itself back in vogue.
The testee covers some of it...the GVT pays for all the employees needed to run the tests, grade the tests etc etc...

I for one, don't need to be paying some shmo $35/hr to check people we know are idiots.

There used to be retesting... but it got phased down to nothing more than a cursory 15 second eyetest that you get as many chances as you need to pass.
Here, everybody used to have to do the eye test every time you renewed
your lic. Now though you can renew by mail, and can even extend the next
renewal out to 10 years. I think.

They don't charge for testing up there? They sure do down here.
I don't think they do here, unless it's part of the standard fee. :shrug:
or did you mean for the whole test?

Just looked it up... yep, you can do 10 year now...
http://www.dds.ga.gov/drivers/DLdata.aspx?con=1742949265&ty=dl

Over here after 65 they need to present a signed medical certificate that says wether they are still able to drive or not. Licenses over here expire every 2, 3 or 5 years.

It is a real pain to have it renewed :shrug:

Back