Elderly woman attacked by gay marriege protesters

There's a far cry between what the law says is safe and legal (actions) and what'll get you in trouble. It's perfectly legal to walk in a dark alley at night, counting your money out loud...not terribly smart, but at least you can say that you were in the right as you're being pummeled into submission and robbed.

It's legal for people wearing the KKK gear to wander around the south side of L.A. shouting out racist epitaphs, but that law book won't help you out any once you get found.

It's legal for that woman to walk around a crowd of anti-8 protesters spouting off self-righteous anti-gay epitaphs and waving a foamy cross...and legally, that cross shouldn't be used against her in the 'fighting words' defense.

Legal...just not a very smart thing to do.

Bad protesters! Didn't they read the rule book?

My Grandmother (rest in peace) was smart enough to not get herself in that kind of situation - where she would basically be begging for a reprisal.

Yes, heaven forbid anyone have a spine. I trust with that mentality, you'd expect noone to come defend her either.

Baaaaaa

Keep yer baaas to yerself old man. You're no less a sheep than anyone else here, and the sooner you recognise that, the sooner I can quit wedgie-ing you silly.

Let's see...hmmm

Yes, heaven forbid anyone have a spine.

She chose her place to stand up and show her spine - a really silly place to do so IMO especially while mugging for the camera and hoping for her 15 minutes of fame..but there you go. She shouldn't be surprised by the reaction considering she was already being confronted verbally BEFORE she took the tension to the next level. If she'd kept her distance instead of standing in front of the mob being filmed, everything would've been fine...but she didn't keep her distance, did she? in fact, it looks like she made a point of getting closer to said mob. She was taunting them...you know it, I know it and the camera guys focusing on her while keeping the closest crowd members in view knew it. That's not courage, nor spine..it's idiocy.

I trust with that mentality, you'd expect noone to come defend her either.
What I would've expected was to have someone with some foresight take her gently by the arm and stop her from taking her steps closer to said mob. Protect her from her own actions as opposed to having to risk themselves saving her from her own actions after the fact.

You've already shown that you can take opposite sides of the topic whenever it's convenient and it only took me about ten seconds.

You want to tell us what you have against voting with your dollars today?

Looks like the old lady didn't get hurt whatsoever...she got eh cross ripped from her hands and stomped on. Poor foamy cross.

I'm wondering what was going through her mind...let's see. A crowd of angry antiProp8 people..hmm...lets go and get in their faces. :rolleyes:

Hmm...I've said that before about other issues, and you said I was wrong. Go figure.

You want to tell us what you have against voting with your dollars today?

It's a two edged sword. You chose to use your "voice" by stopping theirs.

I'm not against an individual ending their practice with an entity (I refuse to watch CNN). I think an organized boycott is a tactic to silence those that disagree with them.

If you don't like Wal-Mart, don't shop there. Tell people why you don't/won't shop there. Using your first amendment doesn't interfere with theirs. Threatening boycotts stops theirs.

If you don't like Wal-Mart, don't shop there. Tell people why you don't/won't shop there. Using your first amendment doesn't interfere with theirs. Threatening boycotts stops theirs.

thank god, i hate shopping there too. they are really slow,it takes me 10min to shop and 45 min to wait and pay, on top of that there prices are not even that good.

I'm not against an individual ending their practice with an entity (I refuse to watch CNN). I think an organized boycott is a tactic to silence those that disagree with them.

Like how you try to get other people to stop watching CNN?

If you're trying to get other people to join you it's no longer "one man". Kinda the definition of attempting to organize a boycott.

Even worse than your hypocritical attempt to organize a boycott you've encouraged much worse to silence those that disagree with you including locking them up (again showing your disdain for the Constitution).

The woman at the center of a disturbance that erupted at a protest against the gay marriage ban on Friday will be pressing charges, The Desert Sun has learned.

Phyllis Burgess alleges that she was assaulted as she carried a Styrofoam cross through the crowd at a No on Proposition 8 rally. The 69-year-old Palm Springs resident originally declined to press charges when asked by police and joked she felt lucky, at least she didn’t lose her wig in the tussle like Cloris Leachman did on Dancing with the Stars.

“I guess I didn’t see the gravity of the whole thing and how it was being portrayed to the public,” Burgess said. “People are incensed. They seem to want some kind of justice.”

What was planned as a peaceful candlelight service in front of City Hall took a hostile turn when the crowd began pushing and a cross was torn from Burgess’ arms. The cross ended up in pieces on the ground.

The crowd chanted, “Go home!” “Nazi!” and “shame on you!” as organizers pleaded with the crowd to ignore the woman. About 500 protesters attended the event, the largest in the county since 52 percent of voters approved Proposition 8, an amendment that banned same-sex marriage.

Palm Springs Police made no arrests, but say they spent about 40 minutes on Saturday trying to convince Burgess to press charges.

Lt. Dennis Graham said he tried to convince her how important it was to file a police report.

Detectives, he said, are reviewing video taken at the rally to try and identify possible suspects.

The charges likely would be assault and vandalism, both misdemeanors, Graham said.
http://www.mydesert.com/article/20081110/NEWS01/81110028/-1/rss

If you're trying to get other people to join you it's no longer "one man". Kinda the definition of attempting to organize a boycott.

The recruitment proces is still ongoing, wanna pamphlet? :rolleyes:

Even worse than your hypocritical attempt to organize a boycott you've encouraged much worse to silence those that disagree with you including locking them up (again showing your disdain for the Constitution).

Why don't you actually read what I wrote. They, like Mz Fonda before them, were treading awfully close to collaboration.

thank god, i hate shopping there too. they are really slow,it takes me 10min to shop and 45 min to wait and pay, on top of that there prices are not even that good.

Well I guess you've never gone through my line because I cattle the customers out the door at light speed.

Back