Ever wanted to control your dreams as you're dreaming them?

The dream remembering would be a plus too! There are some dreams which are awesome but all I remember from them is that they were awesome. :beerbang:

Leslie said:
I remember most of mine now...the ones I'm aware of anyway :retard:
i stopped dreaming when i was around 10 years old. is that normal you think?
i've not dreamt anything since then. i dont understand it. i swear.

I swear too, goddamnit! :beerbang:

I've not had many dreams in the last couple years, but when I do have them, they usually scare the shit out of me

sam_fisher said:
i stopped dreaming when i was around 10 years old. is that normal you think?
i've not dreamt anything since then. i dont understand it. i swear.

It's not as uncommon as you might think. I've talked to several people that say the same thing. But... after longer discussions, and delving a little deeper, it's not that they don't dream, it's that they don't remember them at all. I rarely remember any of my dreams, yet I know I still have them. I used to be able to think on a subject, person, or place and then dream about that when I went to sleep. I lost that ability when I was around 13, I still try from time to time, and perhaps it works, I just don't remember them come morning.

I know when I've just had a dream. When I wake up, I will have a brief flash of a moment in the dream. If I focus on that flash I can start remembering more of the dream, but usually only if I've had enough sleep. I've got sleep apnea, which makes it hard to sleep long enough to get into the dream state, so it's pretty rare nowadays (especially with the vB3 upgrade :beerbang: ).

On a side note, does anyone have frequent sleep paralysis? I have it almost every night. I've become used to it, but it was quite scary the first few times I had it. I thought my bed had been actually pulled out from underneath me and I felt like I was falling indefinitely.

I've gotten used to it and it's not so much scary, but still leaves me pretty grumpy for the first half hour of waking up. I am a horrible person when I'm in that state and you would not want to be around me, especially if you've been assigned the unenvious task of waking me up. :p

The last few nights I have been having dreams where nothing makes sense and it is my job to figure things out. When you brain is going and going trying to figure out some nonsense that it made up itself yet doesn't seem to realize it that makes for a sleep that doesn't leave ya well rested :mope:

Knowing that you're dreaming and being able to control your dreams is called lucid dreaming. Mostly it's young children that are able to do it. I used to be able to do it, but not so much anymore. It's very cool if you can. I could actually wake myself up from sleep by shaking my body around in my dream.

And PT's right, everybody dreams, but it's hit and miss whether you remember even a tiny bit. The only time someone might not dream is under anaesthesia I think, but apart from that you need to dream. REM sleep is dreaming, and it's the final stage of the sleep cycle you go through every night at least 4 or 5 times. In other words you have at least 4 or 5 dreams.

i was able to control my dreams about a year ago, for no apparent reason i could suddenly control my dreams. now it's just sporadic, i guess that lucid dreaming happens by coincidence sometimes, due to some weird state of mind.

i know that you can teach yourself how to be able to control your dreams everytime, but it's a kinda nasty story :)

I've done a lot of reading about sleeping and dreaming in the past. I've had lucid dreams but as I got older, it's the opposite for me now; I'm somewhat awake with my eyes open but can't shake the dream I'm having and think that it's real because I can see it. I equate them more to 'hallucinations' but technically it's something closer to night terrors that I have.

Sleep paralysis is a disorder that I believe is strictly psychological and stems from subconcious thoughts and worries that come out when you're sleeping. I believe in that and night terrors, you don't wake up in a slow progression that lets you leave REM sleep gradually instead of being jolted out of it. My sleep doctor likened my problems more to narcolepsy somehow but I don't know if I believe that.

Everyone dreams, some just don't remember them. Since dreaming typically is a way that your mind copes with the waking world, if you don't remember your dreams, you probably don't need to. There are many physical problems that can cause bad dreams (eating too close to bedtime is one of them) but mostly it's your mind that controls it. And I think there are far more dreams per night than we think, I seem to remember a figure of hundreds of seperate dream scenarios on an average night.

In the morning, your body is preparing itself to come into wakefulness according to your body clock so you don't do as much dreaming as you do in the middle of the night. Which is probably why you remember nightmares vividly if it wakes you up suddenly in the middle of the night-you were interrupted in the middle of a dream so it would stand to reason you would remember it. And I seem to remember a figure of 3-4 hours of REM sleep during an 8 hour sleep cycle. Takes a couple of hours to enter into REM and a couple to come out of it.

Some of this may be wrong, it's been a while since I've had to be concerned with sleep problems and dreaming. But there are some great resources out on the web about it.

I dream rarely, and when i do its only 3 formats, sex, sci fi, horror (my death involved usually). I need a drama module dude!

That's pretty cool a13. Is it like those IBM commercials where the people are telling the guy about their dreams and ask him what it all means? ;) IBM's coming out with really funny commercials lately. I like the one with the server pixie dust and the universal adapter. "Does it work in Europe?"..."You might need an adapter for that." :D

She helps people interpret their dreams (as opposed to interpreting them for them), teaches them how to be more effective at remembering them. I think taking control of them is part of it somewhere too but I'm not sure..

I went some time ago for a "gnostic"(?) meeting. Truly they were trying to gather adepts for their group. They explained then an introduction on how to take control of your dreams and use your sleeping time on your advantage. Frankly, I didn't think it was a healthy thing. I think your mind must present you the dreams in a un-real form for a reason. Maybe emotion discharging I don't know. Fact is I've met 2 people that practiced that lucid dreams and they are plain nuts :nuts:

Back