Favorite OTC Car?

Pursuit vs. Custom Cruiser?

• I think Nixy's Pursuit is really nice looking and new.

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • The Cusotm Cruiser, there is no substitute for a V8 and chrome.

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • I don't like either of them, member _____'s car is way better.

Votes: 7 53.8%
  • I don't like cars, I ride a bike.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Altron

It would seem that there are two cars with disproportionately long threads -

Nixy's 2006 Pontiac Pursuit
attachment.php

Altron's 1989 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser
HPIM0685.jpg

Which car do you think is more interesting?

I love my car, she's my baby. I did something yesterday which makes her not look just like a new car inside but actually makes her feel like mine (ignoring the mess of papers and work stuff I have accumulated cause that makes it feel like mine but I need to organize that and put most of it in the trunk this weekend). I went into Canadian Tire where my brother works in the auto dept and he helped me pick out....are you ready for this??

AN AIR FRESHENER!

It's cherries and hangs from the rear view mirror. They're 3-d and actually feel similar to real cherries, I'll take a pic tonight or tomorrow some time.

That's awesome.

If you don't have something hanging from the mirror, you're really missing out. Personally I prefer fuzzy dice to an air freshener, though.

Back when I had the Mazda, I got a 3-pack of these cool air fresheners that looked like Hawaiian shirts. But with the fuzzy dice, the Student Parking Pass that I borrowed off of my Senior friend for tomarrow, (Juniors have a hard shot at getting parking, but I will have my own for next year), and the EZ-PASS near it, it's pretty crowded. Especially since I have a relatively high dashboard and a steep windshield.

I was gonna go fuzzy dice but my brother's expert advice (since he works there :lloyd: ) steered me away from them. I'm glad I took his advice, I love the cherries. It's raining out so there won't be ap ic tonight.

P.S. try driving your car on the 401 in rush hour...you'll them agree that my car is better.

I like mine better, but Nixy's would definitely beat that V8's ass...anytime, anywhere.

I personally like the "lead sled" looks and Hemi power of HL's magnum.

But if we want the ultimate pimpmobile... see attachment(OK, so it's really in my parents' name, but as far as the Fairlane Club knows, it's mine)

At least those cars have either classic looks or modern technology on their side.

Meanwhile, the Olds offers:
1. Poor crash protection for its size, since it lacks air bags or crumple zones, and would be of no help in a rollover. If you run into a Geo with it you might be OK, but hit an SUV, a tree or a wall and you're fuxx0red;
2. The double whammy of poor gas mileage and poor power;
3. 1980s GM parts, such as the 60,000-mile alternator;
4. The double whammy of generic looks and poor aerodynamics;
5. A fairly smooth, although not particularly controlled ride, at the expense of handling and stopping distances.

If you've ever wondered why we've all been behind the idea of you getting the 1997 Nissan, which is faster, gets better mileage, is safer and is more reliable.

1st: Wow you were TINY there Inky!!

2nd: The ONLY good things that came out of the 80s are some of the people born during that decade.

Inkara1 said:
Meanwhile, the Olds offers:
1. Poor crash protection for its size, since it lacks air bags or crumple zones, and would be of no help in a rollover. If you run into a Geo with it you might be OK, but hit an SUV, a tree or a wall and you're fuxx0red;
2. The double whammy of poor gas mileage and poor power;
3. 1980s GM parts, such as the 60,000-mile alternator;
4. The double whammy of generic looks and poor aerodynamics;
5. A fairly smooth, although not particularly controlled ride, at the expense of handling and stopping distances.

If you've ever wondered why we've all been behind the idea of you getting the 1997 Nissan, which is faster, gets better mileage, is safer and is more reliable.

Um, don't count me into that all. I voted to keep the land yacht. It does have crumple zones, the gas milage is respectable ... for the comfort level, '80s GM parts are about as cheap, and easy to get as can be, and handling/stopping still beat out most of the SUVs they're selling today.

Add to that, that you've got room between the framerails to drop in pretty much anything you want, including stuffing a 572 under the hood. Add to that the improved weight transfer, and stiffen up the rear suspension some, and you've got a sleeper that'll blow the doors off of jsut about anything on the road.

I'd still buy it given half a chance.

Oh, I should point out that any car produced in 1970 or later is hereby deemed too new and thus ineligible for fuzzy dice. Sorry; that's just the way it is.

Professur said:
Add to that, that you've got room between the framerails to drop in pretty much anything you want, including stuffing a 572 under the hood.

I've lived in California too long, I guess. Good luck ever getting a 572 to pass smog here. Drop it in a 1973 or older model and you're golden, because they're smog-exempt. But 1974 and newer models have to pass smog to be street-legal.

And I'd like to point out that having anything dangling from the mirror (right between you and the traffic you're supposed to be watching) is not only illegal, but is about as clear a sign of a bad driver as I've seen.

Many's the time I've wished for more lax gun laws when I see some twit with either a CD or a dream-catcher hanging.

I don't keep anything hanging from the mirror of the Neon. When I was driving the Fairlane on a regular basis, I had the fuzzy dice because it's part of the look.

Around here, the cops won't pull you over just for having something on the mirror... but they will tack that on to the list of other stuff if they stop you for something else.

Inkara1 said:
I've lived in California too long, I guess. Good luck ever getting a 572 to pass smog here. Drop it in a 1973 or older model and you're golden, because they're smog-exempt. But 1974 and newer models have to pass smog to be street-legal.

Nothing I've read about the 572 suggests it would have trouble passing a smog-check. You just need to build your emission's system right. Magnaflow can set you up.

Seems like it would be awfully hard to get complete combustion in a cylinder that large with only one spark plug. That's the reason Dodge went with 10 cylinders instead of 8 for the Viper and Ram V10. The GM Vortec 8100 V8 is only available in vehicles with a GVWR of 8,600 pounds or above (3/4-ton trucks), which have different regulations than passenger cars. Both the 8100 and the V10 have the benefit of modern emissions controls, though, while a properly set up 572 would have a good four-barrel carb, possibly two if you want to synchronize them, headers, dual exhausts with a crossover pipe and glass packs, and that's it. :D

Clearly my first car
(OK my first car was a 63 Ford Falcon convertible)

a 1974 2.0 Liter four speed three door Pinto hatchback

that car roxxored

other than that I'd love a Ford GT

aw crap they aren't going to make anymore of them? boo hoo

oh well there's always the Shelby GT500 I suppose...

Inkara1 said:
Seems like it would be awfully hard to get complete combustion in a cylinder that large with only one spark plug. That's the reason Dodge went with 10 cylinders instead of 8 for the Viper and Ram V10. The GM Vortec 8100 V8 is only available in vehicles with a GVWR of 8,600 pounds or above (3/4-ton trucks), which have different regulations than passenger cars. Both the 8100 and the V10 have the benefit of modern emissions controls, though, while a properly set up 572 would have a good four-barrel carb, possibly two if you want to synchronize them, headers, dual exhausts with a crossover pipe and glass packs, and that's it. :D

Mulitport injection. Mated to a computer, and a functional o2 sensor stops that. If it's not getting a complete burn, it trims the fuel charge.

Back