Favorite OTC Car?

Pursuit vs. Custom Cruiser?

• I think Nixy's Pursuit is really nice looking and new.

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • The Cusotm Cruiser, there is no substitute for a V8 and chrome.

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • I don't like either of them, member _____'s car is way better.

Votes: 7 53.8%
  • I don't like cars, I ride a bike.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Already decided. Saving up and looking around for a 68-71 Oldsmobile 442 with a 455. Once I find one, I'm going to bore out the 455 to 493, which should give me serious power. Guy who did it on 442.com said he measured 500hp and 500 ft-lbs.

Altron said:
Already decided. Saving up and looking around for a 68-71 Oldsmobile 442 with a 455. Once I find one, I'm going to bore out the 455 to 493, which should give me serious power. Guy who did it on 442.com said he measured 500hp and 500 ft-lbs.

Heathen scum.

Sorry, but anyone who wants to rebore a classic like that needs his head examined. Besides, it's far, far cheaper to fit a blower instead, for a shitload more power than that.

I'd love to see what your insurance quote will be on a 442. Good luck covering that before you're 30.

BTW, of the two cars posted, my heart lies with the wagon, but I'd probably prefer to drive the Nixy-mobile long-term.

'Course, given my druthers, I'd drive this one:

The cool thing with the Fairlane is the pedestrian targets on the fenders. :D

HL, what the hell do you mean, "given your druthers"? You can drive it any time you want to!

Inkara1 said:
The cool thing with the Fairlane is the pedestrian targets on the fenders. :D

HL, what the hell do you mean, "given your druthers"? You can drive it any time you want to!

You're right! Isn't life sweet?

BTW, out of what's here, the Fairlane would be second. Unc's Lexus would be 3rd.

After I get home from Atlanta, I'll turn right around and head out the next day with the Fairlane for a trip to Reno.

catocom said:
um, define 'interesting'.

V8

Mods, can the poll be editited to include the Dodge and the Fairline?

Also, can someone please explain what a roller lifter is? How about 7A vs. 5A heads?

I personally think the older vehicles are more interesting, because I can
understand the working, and actually fix stuff myself.
Now, if I had the equipment to hookup to onboard computers, I might find
the newer vehicles more interesting.
I do like fuel injection, but I don't know much about working on it.
I did get used to electronic ignition, but I still don't like some models.
I think the Northstar motor in Cadies is interesting.

A fuel injector is no different than a bottle of windex. It squirts a mist of gas in time with the intake valve sucking in the charge of air. The O2 sensor monitors the results of the combustion to see wether it was too rich or lean, and adjusts the squirt accordingly.

And that's all there is to it, no matter how much your local mechanic tries to confuse it.

My first car was a 10 year old Isusu pup-truck. Standard, no air, no raido, and bench seat! I WAS HOT! No, the car didn't make me look good...I WAS HOT! No air in South Louisiana with a Navy Blue vehicle...sweating thinking about it.

Slim Pickens said:
I am rather fond of Unc's car...my favorite that I owned was my '96 Z28...Red loved it, Tonks hated it

MMmmmmmm....good times! T-tops, great sound system! I seem to remember a particular birthday ride......

*strolls off to memory lane

Professur said:
A fuel injector is no different than a bottle of windex. It squirts a mist of gas in time with the intake valve sucking in the charge of air. The O2 sensor monitors the results of the combustion to see wether it was too rich or lean, and adjusts the squirt accordingly.

And that's all there is to it, no matter how much your local mechanic tries to confuse it.

I didn't know I even had fuel injectors...

So if they're adjusting the air/fuel mixture, what the hell is the Quadrajet doing?

Edit - After rereading, it looks like Prof is replying to Catocom. This makes more sense now. My research says that the 5A heads are bigger and let more air and gas into the engine vs. the 7A heads, but I still don't know what a roller lifter is.

The camshaft is a piece of metal that is ground into offset circles to, in the case of your Olds engine, push the pushrods up and down. The pushrods then push up on rocker arms, which push down on the valves. Between the pushrods and the camshaft are the lifters. Most regular-performance engines have hydraulic lifters, which are filled with engine oil to keep the distance between the end of the lifter, the end of the pushrod, the other end of the pushrod and the rocker arm all nice and tight. Performance engines tended to have solid lifters, which allow for higher revving but had to be adjusted frequently.

Well, the lifters were just sitting on the camshaft,a nd as the camshaft would turn it would push the lifters up. Roller lifters have a little wheel on the bottom to lower friction, which promises longer engine life and less horsepower lost to turning the camshaft and lifting the lifters.

Back