Favorite OTC Car?

Pursuit vs. Custom Cruiser?

• I think Nixy's Pursuit is really nice looking and new.

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • The Cusotm Cruiser, there is no substitute for a V8 and chrome.

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • I don't like either of them, member _____'s car is way better.

Votes: 7 53.8%
  • I don't like cars, I ride a bike.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Not all unleaded fuel cars had one... 1981 was the first year Honda used one, because of the clean emissions of the CVCC engine. But the engines used unleaded before that.

But most cars built since the late-70s have one. The Pursuit would have a catalyric convertor, an EGR valve, a PCV valve, multiple oxygen sensors, etc.

I'm thinking that the sound may be the exhaust. Cruisin' with the windows down, it seems like the sound comes from the starboard stern, near the muffler. A loose gasket or something maybe? The higher I rev it, the louder the sound, and it isn't necessarily a 'broken' sound. I've never heard the 307 through anything except my oddly quiet not-stock muffler, so I don't know what it sounds like with a hole in the muffler or a loose connection or something like that. Might just be all my V8 POWER leaking out through a crack between two pipes.

I'm having trouble reproducing the sound while the car isn't moving, although the person I recruited to rev the engine for me was not the most experienced revver, he just got it up and kept it up instead of going in 500rpm increments to gauge the sound.

Maybe something to do with the torque-converter-clutch?

If it was something with the axles or the differential or the wheels, I don't think it would be affected by minor changes in the engine rev. In park, it sounds fine.

The sound is a kind of sloshy sound. The TCC has liquid in it, right?

It's most noticeable at slow speeds, with a cold engine (situations where the engine is prone to stall).

It's less noticeable with a warm engine at a higher speed. The manual says that at consistent speeds above 25mph, there is an automatic clutch that will give a direct connection or something like that.

I'm going to get out the shop manual tonight and consult my friends google and wikipedia and do some learnin' about torque converters and stall converters and automatic transmissions.

So, after driving a Dodge Charger for the last two days I have to say that my vote definately still stays with my Pursuit...stupid box of a car...not to mention that it's a friggin' gas fiend...almost 30L of gas in 2 days...that's like a week of gas in my car! I can't wait to get my baby back tomorrow!

"...The LORD was with Judah; and he drave out the inhabitants of the mountain; but could not drive out the inhabitants of the valley, because they had chariots of iron."

With a V8 and rear-wheel-drive, no doubt. :eh:

[brag] This here is Miss Baby. She's sporting her new custom dual exhausts with Magnaflow mufflers, a fresh set of Bridgestone Potenza G009 tires, new Monroe SensaTrac shocks, XM radio, SilverStar Ultra headlight bulbs, Stealth turn signal bulbs, and AutoSport berber floor mats.

I'm going to have her windows tinted soon, and I'm still searching for a cold air induction system, when that goes in she's going to Reinhart Performance Engineering for a performance tune (ECM flash). [/brag]

Hers was a rental car. I'd be willing to bet it had a 2.7 V6.

Try driving it with a Hemi... it'll get worse gas mileage but it'll accelerate so fast you won't care. :D

I'd care...I have much better things to do with my money than spend it on excess gas for a car that goes unnecessarily fast.

Sharky - I love it!

The only thing I don't like about your car is that it's a Mercury... if I was buying a Crown Vic, I would make sure that it was a Ford, and that it was either white, grey, or black, and that it had the black trim panels on the trunk lid that say "Police Interceptor"

Oh, and I recently calculated that my car gets nine miles per gallon.

That's 26.1L/100Km using Nixy's silly metric.

Silly metric? :lol:

Still wonders how is it that you people love so much your dumbass units.

"Attack of the 50-foot Woman" rolls off the tongue a lot better than "Attack of the 15.24-meter Woman," wouldn't you say? "And a pinch to grow an inch" sounds better than "and a pinch to grow 2.54 centimeters."

Nixy -- trust me, 345 horsepower makes it easy to forgive a lot about a car. :D

Sharky - I love it!

The only thing I don't like about your car is that it's a Mercury... if I was buying a Crown Vic, I would make sure that it was a Ford, and that it was either white, grey, or black, and that it had the black trim panels on the trunk lid that say "Police Interceptor"

Crown Vics and Grand Marquis are the exact same car (the Panther platform), the Mercury is just a slightly plusher version with more standard features, and the bow and stern are a little different. Under the skin they are identical. :cool:

The color of mine (Silver Birch) is the same color that the Florida Dept of Law Enforcement (the state's Top Cops) uses on their unmarked vehicles. As it is, people won't pass it, even on a four-lane road. In Florida, at least. They come flying up behind me, and as soon as they get close enough to see that it looks like a FDLE car, they back off. :D

As if that wasn't enough, somebody gave me a trunk emblem that says "Pursuit Interceptor" just like the po-po cars. I haven't decided yet whether or not to put it on. :devious:

I thought the Marauder was pretty cool... a blacked-out version of the Grand MArquis with the 300-horse 32V version of the 4.6 V8.

I thought the Marauder was pretty cool... a blacked-out version of the Grand MArquis with the 300-horse 32V version of the 4.6 V8.

They are very cool . . . if I could have found one I would have bought one rather than the Grand Marquis. They are kinda rare around here. Problem is, they seem to be a little high-strung and maintenance-intensive.

There's a forum devoted to them: MercuryMarauder.net - those guys are quite a collection of gearheads. They spend THOUSANDS of dollars on modifications, including superchargers and custom suspension pieces. Their cars are all absolutely gorgeous. There are a few Grand Marquis owners (myself included) on there, too.

"Attack of the 50-foot Woman" rolls off the tongue a lot better than "Attack of the 15.24-meter Woman," wouldn't you say? "And a pinch to grow an inch" sounds better than "and a pinch to grow 2.54 centimeters."

Nixy -- trust me, 345 horsepower makes it easy to forgive a lot about a car. :D

I didn't say YOU wouldn't take the power at the expense of extra gas, and I didn't say people shouldn't burn the extra gas to get the extra power...I said that *I* have better things to do with my money...the power doesn't do much for me. I can do 130km/hr in my car without a problem and even that is faster than I need to be going.

Yep, I did a lot of Marauder research. There's someone with my town who has one, and one time he parked RIGHT in front of the door at work overnight. Saw it parked at the mall too. Thought it was a police interceptor until I took a closer look. It's like the Impala SS from the nineties except less fugly.

I know that the Vic and the Marquis are the same. The thing is, where I'm from at least, you never see Marquis cop cars.

Back