Feminism, Vegetarianism, Canadianism, et cetera.

Buy whole (or spilt) farm animals from folks you can deal with directly. Most small farmers don't use hormones. *awaiting 1/3 cow & a whole hog by spring*

gee gonz i though "buy local" was one of those lefty tree-hugger things.

:rofl:

Well, obviously, some people would be better suited to certain jobs than others.

Most wimmins I know can't toss around 150 pound TVs.

But that ain't a gender thing, that's just a size thing. A 120-140 lb, 5'6 guy would have a hard time with that too. That's why really big 200+ lbs 6'+ guys do those jobs.

But take those huge guys, and ask them to type something. Long and slender feminine fingers are far more suited to that than the thick sausage fingers those guys have.

Cramps, PMS, can't say I'm too familiar with that, but if a lady is bleedin' downstairs and kinda bummed out about it, how is that any different from a guy who's tired and having a bad day? Obviously people's moods are gonna change, regardless of their gender.

And, of course, size is not neccessarily related to gender, there are plenty of big, strong women, and little, wimpy guys.

And, it loses some water when you get into some jobs. Doesn't even have to be white-collar. Look at my job. A woman can do it just as well as I can.

Cramps, PMS, can't say I'm too familiar with that, but if a lady is bleedin' downstairs and kinda bummed out about it, how is that any different from a guy who's tired and having a bad day? Obviously people's moods are gonna change, regardless of their gender.

A guy who's having 4 bad days every 28 will soon find himself overlooked for promotions because of it ... if not tossed altogether. Wimmens are protected against that.

Again, not really the expert, but I never notice the wimmins acting different for a few days every month. Nothing more noticeable than the usual ups and downs of a high-pressure retail job where you get chewed out on a daily basis, that is.

Yes there are. I'm not talking about them, am I? I'm referring specifically to jobs that men do better than wimmin, but wimmin still want in. And I'm deliberately not bringing up jobs like combat soldier, firefighter, cop, etc. even tho I don't think wimmen belong there either.

When I worked in shipping, I was 5'5", 110lbs. My dead lift then was somewhere in the 280lbs range. The guy working delivery was 6'+, 280lbs, and whined like a schoolgirl if I packed anything over 50 lbs. I won't discuss how I know my deadlift range.

Up front, in customer service there was 8 girls, and 2 guys. Anything over 20 lbs was handled by the guys. The wimmin would call back to me if there was anything over 20 lbs on their side to package, and the guys weren't available, instead of 2 of them working together to handle it. In my book, that's wrong. My father worked in assembly planning. He actually had to design a special tool for an assembly procedure to accomodate wimmen. Specifically, they had to press on a bearing using a lever, and when they had their period, they'd squirt from the exertion. They complained to the union. The union complained to the company. My dad had to take time out of his busy day to design and build a tool so that these poor wimmen wouldn't squirt.
My brother in law works for the same company. Mailroom. He regularly shifts repac bins with 40 to 60 lbs of paperwork in them. the wimmen? Nothing over 5 lbs. Company policy.

I'm all for equal pay for equal work. Or at least I will be when I see it.

That's not all women there, Prof. Granted it may be a majority of them but it's not all of them.

Well, if they can't do the job, what business do they have in doing it?

I couldn't get a job as an accountant. I'm not qualified for it. I would be unable to do it.

Same idea. There's nothing wrong with not being able to lift heavy things. If you can't, but your job requires it, then you're not qualified for that job.

Could I walk into a company, tell them that I want to be an accountant, yet be completely unable to do so, and expect them to bend over backwards to accomadate me? No.

Of course, there are certain jobs that people without as much physical strength can do most aspects of, but not all.

If we hired a girl in the warehouse, and she couldn't lift half of the stuff we sell, I would be rather unhappy with that decision of hiring.

However, we have plenty of girls up at Customer Service, and their jobs very occasionally involve handling a large returned TV or something like that. I have no qualms about manhandling a big TV for them, if they are having a hard time. It's the nice thing to do. They can do every other aspect of their jobs very well, and work very hard, but they're just not as physically capable of heavy lifting as I am.

True, but there needs to be a way for a female to prove that she can do the job. If we allow folks to not hire women because some can't or won't do the job in it's entirity then you are being biased against the ones who can and will.

Well, if they can't do the job, what business do they have in doing it?

because it's discriminatory to have a job that they can't do

I couldn't get a job as an accountant. I'm not qualified for it. I would be unable to do it.

today, employers are forced to accept candidates like that and actually pay to send them for training to do the job, rather than hire a white male already capable of it. Happens every damn day.

Same idea. There's nothing wrong with not being able to lift heavy things. If you can't, but your job requires it, then you're not qualified for that job.

See above

Could I walk into a company, tell them that I want to be an accountant, yet be completely unable to do so, and expect them to bend over backwards to accomadate me? No.

Nope. Can't be discriminated against when your a white male ... unless you're disabled, physically or mentally.

Of course, there are certain jobs that people without as much physical strength can do most aspects of, but not all.

If we hired a girl in the warehouse, and she couldn't lift half of the stuff we sell, I would be rather unhappy with that decision of hiring.

See above

However, we have plenty of girls up at Customer Service, and their jobs very occasionally involve handling a large returned TV or something like that. I have no qualms about manhandling a big TV for them, if they are having a hard time. It's the nice thing to do. They can do every other aspect of their jobs very well, and work very hard, but they're just not as physically capable of heavy lifting as I am.

Construction companies had to give non lifting jobs to wimmin rather than men for jsut that reason. Men suddenly weren't the best candidates for crane operator anymore. Or Flagman.

True, but there needs to be a way for a female to prove that she can do the job. If we allow folks to not hire women because some can't or won't do the job in it's entirity then you are being biased against the ones who can and will.

Wanna try that again? I don't know of anyone who wants to hire men or wimmin. They want to hire employees capable of doing the entire job, as stated in the job description.

Tonks, you were Navy. Remember the requirements? 60 pushups for men, 40 for wimmin. Drawing the same paycheque.

I also remember that there were several job fields that were not open to women. I also served with men that I could outpush up, outsmart, and outfire fight.
I just think that drawing a line at gender isn't necessarily the way to go. If employers what to have a physical test for employment the way that the military has I know I would be a staunch supporter.

because it's discriminatory to have a job that they can't do

today, employers are forced to accept candidates like that and actually pay to send them for training to do the job, rather than hire a white male already capable of it. Happens every damn day.

See above

Nope. Can't be discriminated against when your a white male ... unless you're disabled, physically or mentally.

See above

Construction companies had to give non lifting jobs to wimmin rather than men for jsut that reason. Men suddenly weren't the best candidates for crane operator anymore. Or Flagman.

Yeah, so the political correctness mentality flies in the face of all that is logic. For some reason, I find myself lacking surprise.

I also remember that there were several job fields that were not open to women. I also served with men that I could outpush up, outsmart, and outfire fight.
I just think that drawing a line at gender isn't necessarily the way to go. If employers what to have a physical test for employment the way that the military has I know I would be a staunch supporter.

That's my exact point. But I've yet to see anywhere that has a physical requirement that's not different for wimmen. Army, fire, police, coast guard .... all of them. Most construction companies aren't even allowed to test anymore.

I don't doubt that you could beat men. I know small wimmin who're more than capable of outlifting me, and I'm capable of outlifting guys much bigger than I am. That's not the point. The point is that special dispensation exists. Hiring quotas exist.

Back