For my 1,000th post, lets um, ...

WAIT, it sounds so freakingly damn familiar... Snipes sound like those birds they hunt on the lakes, you know, with the dog? Am I close? If that is the general idea, no I haven't. I would like to try it though.

Tell me more please, I have no idea what or how... Like, what weapon do you use? And, why is it such a captivating sport?

If no one else has told you yet by tomorrow, I'll post a full commentary on a snipe hunt. It's a very detailed and complicated hunt, as snipes are very smart, timid animals.

:D PT I have a new respect for you.

My father and brother would go snipe hunting with my brother's friends. They never brought anything home though except frustration. :)

Ok, well this is complicated, as I said.

To go Snipe Hunting, you need at least 5 people. You pick one person to be the "Catcher" and the other 4 go out into the woods looking for Snipe. The catcher has to go to the far side of a field, with a big canvas bag, as Snipe like caves, and will try to hide in a cave if chased. They are also very stupid, and don't see too well, so if you hold a canvas bag open, they will see the opening, and think it's a cave, and run right into the bag. The four go out into the woods, towards the car, and are supposed to chase the Snipe back to you. The thing is, there is no such thing as a Snipe. So you are "Left holding the bag" Usually literally, as the way we used to go, we'd leave the person there. May come back in a couple hours, maybe not.

What? No comment at all?

Geez, thought I'd at least get a "You asshole" out of it.

Yes! I want to go badly. It sounds interesting. Can it be done in Canada? Or are there no snipes?

Actually, the snipe is a shore-wading bird.

smaller.snipe.jpg

If you're looking in the fields, you're in the wrong place. ;) Best bet is by a salt marsh, and the catcher kneels in the marsh with the bag...

Hunting in a marsh with a bag.. lol... Dammit I need to try it. Have never done it before. I will put it on my to do list in life. :D

LastLegionary said:
Yes! I want to go badly. It sounds interesting. Can it be done in Canada? Or are there no snipes?

dude, you're so innocent, believe me, don't come to Mexico. :D

Luis G said:
LastLegionary said:

dude, you're so innocent, believe me, don't come to Mexico. :D

Mexico would hang me in short order. Now spill it please, you are making me want to throw bricks at you. What am I missing? :confuse2:

Back