Garage Sales!!!

Owensville's city wide was just last weekend, went around but really didn't find anything really good, just some tools and other little stuff.

Garage sales, golden-garbage alley and dumpster diving...gotta love it.

We have a street close bye to my house, where all the best garbage gets tossed out. Yesterday...I found (but didn't pick up), 2 TV's, 2 bikes, a 25-disk CD playeeer, 2 1/2 computers with monitors, a printer, 4 couches and a lounge chair.

Gotta love that kind of shopping :)

MrBishop said:
Garage sales, golden-garbage alley and dumpster diving...gotta love it.

We have a street close bye to my house, where all the best garbage gets tossed out. Yesterday...I found (but didn't pick up), 2 TV's, 2 bikes, a 25-disk CD playeeer, 2 1/2 computers with monitors, a printer, 4 couches and a lounge chair.

Gotta love that kind of shopping :)

Looks like I have to shop around your area. I've never been to any of our community garage sales only having lived in this area for a little less than two years.

I keep meaning to find time to look around at the ones here. I need a small satellite dish or two.

I like garage sales, but I rarely go to them. Something about digging through people's personal crap ... :shrug:

My father-in-law on the other hand, he's a pro. He can buy something for half the sticker price at one garage sale and take it up the road to trade it for something different at another garage sale for double the value.

Mirlyn said:
I keep meaning to find time to look around at the ones here. I need a small satellite dish or two.

I might still have a spare directv pizza dish around somewhere, might not. Want me to look?

The only things I've ever bought at garage sales, I sold at later garage sales. :shrug: Nature of the beast I suppose...

thrift shops are the best...i love the total randomness of the experience. i love to look at something that is priced at a dollar and know that when i get it home i can turn it into something special.
i also clothes shop at thrift shops...it's alot of hit and miss but just this past weekend i went to a 50% off womens clothing sale at a local thrift shop. total tab was $44.07 (pretty sure) and i got 2 dresses, 3 pairs of pants, 3 pairs of shorts, 1 jean skirt, i paisley purple knee length hippy skirt, about 9-10 shirts, and 2 pairs of shoes...one being a pair of steve maddens which, brand new, cost about double what i spent for them all. you just have to be willing to search through everything...it's amazing what people cast off, whether it be that the article was ill-fitting on them, or wrong color scheme, or just not their thing...i found a pair of black (p)leather pants at goodwill for $4 once and the next trip was a jacket to match for $5...i am an addict.

i do a lot of shopping at www.overstock.com, not quite thrift store prices, but damn good savings on name brand stuff with exceptional shipping and great service.

[/end commercial]

I've gotten some good buys and still to be determined buys. Got my laser printer with toner at one for $40, and have certainly gotten my money's worth out of it. Got a scanner for $10 which still isn't working, so the jury's still out on that one until I get bored enough to try reinstalling everything again. Got a VCR for $1, and it made it through about 15 movies before it died... that thing weighed more than the TV. :D If only I had $5 when I saw the old Atari system when I was 12...

Oh Gods......I buy so much shit from Car Boot Sales (flea markets) :blush:

I find it facinating to see wots in the boxes when someone is selling stuff that they have accumulated over years and years :cool:

I can spend, and often do, hours browsing at a boot sale...in fact, weather permitting, I'm hoping to go to one in the morning :D

HomeLAN said:
I might still have a spare directv pizza dish around somewhere, might not. Want me to look?
That would be most excellent, if you could. Summertime means some long-range wifi experimenting. :D

I'll check this weekend, Mir. For the life of me, I can't remember whether we chucked it or not with the last "down to the bone" house cleaning.

Inkara1 said:
Oval-shaped Primestar dishes are better.
They are, but I've never seen anyone around here that has one. I'll take what I can get and go from there.

Oz said:
Oh Gods......I buy so much shit from Car Boot Sales (flea markets) :blush:

I find it facinating to see wots in the boxes when someone is selling stuff that they have accumulated over years and years :cool:

I can spend, and often do, hours browsing at a boot sale...in fact, weather permitting, I'm hoping to go to one in the morning :D

I'm glad you defined car boot sales. I first read it and was thinking

CamaroBoot.jpg

'Boot' is the accepted term in southeastern states too. Its always been boot in the UK...and bonnet for hood.

Back