Gas Prices - how much are YOU paying?

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
If you use credit, most stations don't charge extra. Some stations will charge eight cents a gallon or so for the "credit price" though (but you know it before you pay), and will give you the "cash price" for debit but will charge the transaction fee of 35-25 cents.

That eight cents per gallon IS charging extra. Sure you know it before you pay but it's still extra above and beyond the cash price. What Mirlyn is saying is they use their card and get a DISCOUNT off the cash price. A lot of stations here give you 3cents/litre off if you prepay at the pumps with your credit card.

Inkara1

The "some stations that charge eight cents" would be different than the "most stations that don't charge extra."

I've never, ever heard of a station that gives a discount for using a credit card, which is something that makes the cost of doing business a little higher. Mirlyn and Cam don't get discounts for using credit cards... Sam's Club sells gas, and swiping their Sam's Club membership card gets them a discount. Then they have to use a different card (or cash) to pay with.

Mirlyn

I've never, ever heard of a station that gives a discount for using a credit card, which is something that makes the cost of doing business a little higher. Mirlyn and Cam don't get discounts for using credit cards... Sam's Club sells gas, and swiping their Sam's Club membership card gets them a discount. Then they have to use a different card (or cash) to pay with.

Aye, a "perk" for them being able to track our buying habits (or at least the random person I made up for the Dillons card). Discount comes from the members card, and is taken off the price at the pump/sign when swiped.

Cash/Check/Change/Credit/Debit...its all the same price no matter how or where you pay--period. Just have to fork over the cash or swipe the card before you can begin to pump.

I think you have to be a member to use the Sams pumps at all, and they're teller-less (plastic payments only).

Saw $3.69 today.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
We have "club cards" that save you money off the top too...Safeway and Co-Op mostly I think. The savings when you pre-pay is actually if you use credit or debit at the pumps...it's really a discount for paying at the pumps rather than going inside and paying the teller, I guess I mis-typed before.

nalani

gas climbs 2 - 3 cents every day here. When Ku'u posted last week it was at $4.04 .. today it's $4.17. Yesterday it was $4.15 and the other day when I filled up it was $4.13. Costed me over $55 to fill up my teeny tiny Suzuki Grand Vitara ... GRRRRR

Inkara1

gas climbs 2 - 3 cents every day here. When Ku'u posted last week it was at $4.04 .. today it's $4.17. Yesterday it was $4.15 and the other day when I filled up it was $4.13. Costed me over $55 to fill up my teeny tiny Suzuki Grand Vitara ... GRRRRR

I wish it were that cheap... $4.32-$4.45 here.

Do they sell locking gas caps yet that work right with the sealed fuel vapor systems with OBD-II vehicles?