Good and Evil... how do you define them?

How do you define good and evil?

• Vox populi, vox dei.

Votes: 16 61.5%
  • In the Beginning was the Word.

Votes: 3 11.5%
  • I am the Ubermensch!

Votes: 1 3.8%
  • Good for who, and for what purpose?

Votes: 2 7.7%
  • Zieg Heil!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Upon this Rock I shall build my Church.

• Evil shmeevil.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • People bad, nature good.

Votes: 2 7.7%
  • That's not all, you git!

• Total voters

freako104

i define them as words (this will be an explanatoin as to why i didnt vote and my ideas of what good/evil are)evil is what would harm the innocent(IE serial killers,rapists,people who hunt for game not to survive,people who harm animals for fun or whatever reason they have etc) good is more of a term for those who want to change the world for the better or at least change the human way opf thinking.(by that i mean change humanity so it will not be so disposed to violence). i believe that justice,freedom,love,honour,truth,peace are representations of what i define as good whereas killing unless protecting yourself or loved ones is evil. rape is evil.

Kawaii

*waves wand of necromancy*
Arise, thread! ARISE!

*ahem*
Good and evil is in the eye of the beholder. One man's terrorist can be another man's hero.

BeardofPants

It's all relative.... Not only is "good" and "evil" defined by social/cultural parameters, but it is also constrained by temporal factors. That is to say, these concepts are subjected to the bounds of our cultural identities, and change over time.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Kawaii said:
Good and evil is in the eye of the beholder. One man's terrorist can be another man's hero.

That thinking is precisely why we have problems. There are absolutes.

freako104

but he has a point gonz. what is evil for one person isnt evil for another. and people will view each other as evil etc. its perspective

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Fuck perspective. Some things are evil & vile. If they're not, the unaffected viewer or perpetrator is warped.

BeardofPants

How nice to be able to view the world in such a black and white manner. So, for arguments sake, all palestinians are evil then? All women who have abortions? All gay people? :hmm:

freako104

Gonz said:
Fuck perspective. Some things are evil & vile. If they're not, the unaffected viewer or perpetrator is warped.

some things are evil and vile? all I can really think of evil or vile is rape. But think about this for a second. Is it evil to the person committing the evil act? probably not. again we are considered evil by many. Are we evil? Id like to think not. but to some we are. then we define some things as evil. Are they? not from their perspective.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
BeardofPants said:
How nice to be able to view the world in such a black and white manner. So, for arguments sake, all palestinians are evil then? All women who have abortions? All gay people? :hmm:

All murderous terrorist Palestinians are evil.

Is abortion evil? That argument still merits argument.

Why would happy people be evil?

Kawaii

Gonz said:
All murderous terrorist Palestinians are evil.
To which a "murderous terrorist Palestinian" would surely respond; -All murderous infidel Americans are evil.
See?

RDX

That thinking is precisely why we have problems. There are absolutes.

Exactly.

Certain actions can be objectivly and definitively classified as "good" or "evil". People on the other hand, can not be described so easily as purely evil or good.

jankerson

Good and Evil, an interesting topic for sure. :toast:

I believe in the Word personally as I am a Christian so I take what is written seriously and personally try to be a good person. I don't however try to push what I believe on others nor do I judge others for not believing the same way as I do.

There is not any clear answer to that question because not everyone believes in the same things.

One only really has to Look at the 10 Comandments to see how people in general should act, or at least try to anyway.

Another thing to look at would be the Seven Deadly Sins and read what they really mean, then think about it for awhile.

Professur

Oh, how horrid. Jankerson, didn't you know that the Ten Commandments is racist against athiests, buddist, druids, and pretty much anyone else who wants to do whatever they want. How dare you suggest that having letcherous thoughts about your neighbours ox makes someone a bad person.

All the way to the end, without even cracking up once. Damn I'm good.

Good to see you Jankerson. How are things over at 'Central?