Good and Evil... how do you define them?

How do you define good and evil?

• Vox populi, vox dei.

Votes: 16 61.5%
  • In the Beginning was the Word.

Votes: 3 11.5%
  • I am the Ubermensch!

Votes: 1 3.8%
  • Good for who, and for what purpose?

Votes: 2 7.7%
  • Zieg Heil!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Upon this Rock I shall build my Church.

• Evil shmeevil.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • People bad, nature good.

Votes: 2 7.7%
  • That's not all, you git!

• Total voters

outside looking in

<b>Registered Member</b>
Ardsgaine said:

Do you believe that there are objective facts...
I thought I'd address this first bit briefly, since it's rather important. I believe that there are objective facts, but that we don't have and will never have direct access to them. Most importantly, I don't think it matters that we never will.

That is to say, I don't agree with Wheeler that there are large clouds of uncertainty (as opposed to reality) in the universe, and I don't believe that the observer plays the central role in determining reality. I also recognize that all of our measurements (even looking at something, or touching something) are ultimately just mental recreations or portrayals of these underlying truths of reality. That being said, I don't think that matters. I agree with the work of Popper for the most part, and think that reason is a very powerful tool. If we kick something, and feel it, then are justified in believing that it is real.
Do you believe that there are objective facts upon which we can base our decisions about what is good for the species as a whole?
That is a much trickier question. I believe that the idea of "what is good for the species" is a moving target... changing as we evolve and our culture evolves. Ultimately, it's all about survival, and what is needed to guarantee that will almost certainly change in the future. Some religious notions of "evil" things served a valid purpose thousands of years ago, by helping prevent the spread of disease for example. Such things are no longer dangerous, and likewise are no longer considered evil (by most).

Let me pose a rhetorical question to help answer yours: If the technology was developed at some time in the distant future to easily repair and resurrect anyone killed by accidental causes, would "murder" be considered as "evil" of a crime as it is today? Should it be?
Is it possible to reason with people and explain to them why they should act in certain ways for the good of the species?
I think that's really several distinct questions wrapped into one.

I think that there are some people who simply can't be reasoned with. Logic is no tool, rationality is no defense. I also think it is certainly possible for people to disagree on what is best for the species. We see examples of this every day in politics (and elsewhere).

But, I think the bigger quesiton is really whether the human species as a whole is capable of reasoning out a strategy for continued survival. I think the answer is yes. Language, art, culture... all these things evolved to help us communicate, and our culture is still evolving. The more time that passes, the greater our chances of reaching some level of global communication, respect, cooperation, and peace. We have evolved the capacity to reason, and I believe that once our cultural evolution catches up to our biological evolution, we will find a solution.
If there is a conflict between what is good for the species vs what is good for the individual, why should the individual care about the fate of the species as a whole rather than his own well being?
There are a few strictly biological reasons (as in, reasons why natural selection would favor individuals that tended to act for the good of the species), and the most obvious is that the individuals offspring stands a better chance of surviving and reproducing in a society which values each other, and the species as a whole. If the society is really "each man for himself," then the population will be smaller for a given set of resources. That is, after all, why humans developed the capacity to reason to begin with -- it is more efficient to cooperate.

There is still some conflict, and this won't go away overnight. Most of our genes are shared with mice and the like, so much of our biology is still centered on self-preservation. It will take time for this tendency to be completely overcome by the power of culture.

And that is the true answer to the question: culture provides the rational for choosing the species over the individual.

Leoslocks

Great Traditions in Ethics would better cover this discussion. Chapter 19 on the "Indefineability of Good" illustrates that we can not define "Good", all we do is describe or assign attributes to the term. I can in no wise change or alter anyone's beliefs by responding to this thread. What I see too often in my own community is "Situational Ethics" where if you can get away with it, it is ok. Take Bill Clinton for example..... Never mind...

If there is no God, then the human race is destined to do to itself what it has done to others. A mans philosophy needs to include His relationship with God(or lack there of), His relationship with nature, and his relationship with fellow man. Imbalanced relationships are . . . well, unbalanced.

The classical Greek philosophy of Balance, Porportion and Harmony would serve any society that embraced it.

Ardsgaine

Leoslocks said:
Great Traditions in Ethics would better cover this discussion. Chapter 19 on the "Indefineability of Good" illustrates that we can not define "Good", all we do is describe or assign attributes to the term.

So you would say that Reason has nothing to do with answering the questions of ethics...

If there is no God, then the human race is destined to do to itself what it has done to others. A mans philosophy needs to include His relationship with God(or lack there of), His relationship with nature, and his relationship with fellow man.

and we have to rely on faith in order to get our answers?

In an earlier post, I asked how reliance on faith differs from personal subjectivism? That is, how does one know that an article of faith is true other than that one "feels" it to be true? If faith is a feeling, then how is relying on faith different from just doing what one feels like doing?

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
Good and evil are both relative and absolute.

Basic ethics by Gato_Solo...

Good and evil are absolute in terms of the majority, but relative in terms of the individual, unless that individual has a means to sway the masses.

Leoslocks

Posted by Ardsgaine:
So you would say that Reason has nothing to do with answering the questions of ethics...
More like Reason still can't define Good or Evil, only describe or illustrate its traits.

and we have to rely on faith in order to get our answers?
I don't have to understand the miracle of life,(get the answer) yet I need to have Faith. What I do know is that after my life is over, this world has perished, the universe has collapsed inupon itself and is no more, there will still be Faith, Hope and Love.
1st Corinthians 13:13 "And now abideth faith, hope, love, these three; but the greatest of these is Love."

What would be good for the species as a whole? How about taking away the threat of Pediophyles. I will even offer a logical method of protecting society from them. When a Pediophyle is convicted, instead of killing him, take his eyes away. Good or Evil?

Ardsgaine

Leoslocks said:
What would be good for the species as a whole? How about taking away the threat of Pediophyles. I will even offer a logical method of protecting society from them. When a Pediophyle is convicted, instead of killing him, take his eyes away. Good or Evil?

How would I know? You've already told me that reason can't define good or evil, and that's all I have to answer such questions. You say the pedophile is evil, but he thinks he's good. You have faith that you are right, but he has emotions that tell him he is right. Neither one of you bases your belief on reason, so how do you resolve the difference? I guess whoever has the most guns wins. If you're the winner, then you can gouge out his eyes, if that's what you think needs to be done, and you don't have to worry about whether it's right or wrong, as long as you feel very strongly that God would approve.

Leoslocks

How would I know?
We have to judge right judgments to build a social order that is "Good" for all its creatures. Still, Reason can neither define Good or justify itself in emotions.
By telling me what I would do(actions not philosophy) if I were the "Winner", you avoid dealing with the real issues involving ethics. That is, what actions (not philosophy) serve to promote the general "Good". The classic example is again Bill Clinton, he says one thing and does another.And we, society, excuse or accuse him on what basics? By his actions or by how he justifies his actions?
Good and evil are both relative and absolute.
Amen.

We are social creatures and I see that we are incapable(as a society) of managing the society and world we live in without a higher conciense(God).

Ardsgaine

outside looking in said:
:(

I don't even get a thumbs up or a thumbs down?

;)

What you got was a book... I just haven't published it yet. :p

I'll try to finish it up tonight and post it. :)

Ardsgaine

Leoslocks said:
How would I know?
We have to judge right judgments to build a social order that is "Good" for all its creatures. Still, Reason can neither define Good or justify itself in emotions.

So are you saying that we get our definition of Good by faith, and then use reason to implement it? I don't think that's possible. If you've arrived at a definition of Good that is illogical, then there's no way to implement it rationally. You will constantly have to gloss over the fact that your actions are inconsistent with reality. The gloss you will use is faith. If you begin with faith, you have to continue with faith.

Still, if you believe that faith is the answer, then share with us the definition of the Good that you've arrived at through your faith. I'm not talking about specific applications, I'm talking about general principles. What is the fundamental standard of good, in your opinion?

By telling me what I would do(actions not philosophy) if I were the "Winner", you avoid dealing with the real issues involving ethics. That is, what actions (not philosophy) serve to promote the general "Good".

No, I'm not avoiding the issue. I'm trying to get you to justify acting on faith rather than reason. You told me that reason was impotent to define good and evil, then asked me whether something is good or evil. I say again, how would I know? I only know how to philosophize by employing reason. If you've already rejected reason, then what argument would you accept from me?

The classic example is again Bill Clinton, he says one thing and does another.And we, society, excuse or accuse him on what basics? By his actions or by how he justifies his actions?

Umm... yes. Both. His actions were dishonest, and so were his attempts to weasle out of the situation. I'm not sure I see what you're driving at. We judge a person by his actions. An attempt to justify his actions is also an action, so it gets judged too. If I knew the person to be honest, and he provided me with an explanation for what he had done that gave me good reason to think that his action resulted from an error of knowledge rather than a moral lapse, then I would not judge him to be morally culpable. If he gave me an explanation that I could tell was dishonest, then on top of judging him for his action, I would judge him to be a liar as well.

Ardsgaine

Here ya go, OSLI!

outside looking in said:
I believe that there are objective facts, but that we don't have and will never have direct access to them.

Sounds like you're in pretty much the same boat as Kant.

If we kick something, and feel it, then are justified in believing that it is real.

You have two realities, then. The real reality, and the perceived reality. Like Popper, you're saying that the perceived reality is good enough. Popper doesn't solve Hume's problem of induction, though, he just says, "I'll think about that tomorrow." This view of reality isn't conducive to forming hard and fast moral principles. All "knowledge" is tentative, and in a constant state of flux as new observations are made.

That is a much trickier question. I believe that the idea of "what is good for the species" is a moving target... changing as we evolve and our culture evolves.

So in what appreciable way has our species changed in the past 10,000 years of recorded history? I'm speaking here of the fundamental nature of man, not his state of knowledge. What's good for man depends on his nature qua man, irrespective of his state of knowledge. His state of knowledge may determine what he thinks is good, but it doesn't affect what is, in fact, good.

Some religious notions of "evil" things served a valid purpose thousands of years ago, by helping prevent the spread of disease for example. Such things are no longer dangerous, and likewise are no longer considered evil (by most).

I assume you're speaking of things like prohibitions against eating pork. What has changed is the context of human knowledge. Trichinosis is still dangerous, we just know how to care for and cook pork so that we don't get sick from it. Abstaining from eating pork isn't a moral principle, though. It's an application of a moral principle within a given context. The principle is that, if you want to live, you don't ingest things in a dose that will kill you. That principle applies in any given context. An absolute prohibition against pork is like someone calculating the acceleration of gravity on Earth, and then claiming that it is the same for every planet in the galaxy.

Let me pose a rhetorical question to help answer yours: If the technology was developed at some time in the distant future to easily repair and resurrect anyone killed by accidental causes, would "murder" be considered as "evil" of a crime as it is today? Should it be?

Murder is murder. If the doctors save the person's life, then he wasn't murdered. In that case, you have attempted murder and it should be punishable as such. In such a future, murder would still be possible by completely destroying the person's body or hiding it so that it decomposed before it could be resurrected. That would be murder, and it would be punishable as such.

Note that we're in an exactly analogous position today. It is possible to shoot someone in a way that would have killed them dead fifty years ago, but now the person can be saved by medical technology. You can imagine scenarios in which two people commit the exact same actions fifty years apart, and one ends up being charged with murder because the person died and the other is only charged with attempted murder because advanced medical science was able to save his life. The difference in the end result of the scenarios doesn't change right and wrong. Murder is still evil, and so is attempted murder. The only difference is in what the person can be charged with according to the law.

I think that there are some people who simply can't be reasoned with.

No doubt. They can, however, be banned from bulletin boards. ;)

We have evolved the capacity to reason, and I believe that once our cultural evolution catches up to our biological evolution, we will find a solution.

There's nothing inevitable about cultural evolution, though. Man has free will, and has to choose the good rather than the evil. Looking back on the twentieth century, I see a cultural "de-evolution" of man. Science has progressed, but moral reasoning has degenerated.

That is, after all, why humans developed the capacity to reason to begin with -- it is more efficient to cooperate.

There are all sorts of animals that cooperate with each other without reasoning. It seems a stretch to say that we evolved in that direction for that purpose. It's more reasonable to say that individual members of the species who developed the capacity for rational thought were more capable of adapting to circumstances and developing strategies for survival, therefore, they were the ones who passed on their genetics, increasing the intelligence of humanity.

Most of our genes are shared with mice and the like, so much of our biology is still centered on self-preservation.

?( You mean there's a type of biology that doesn't require self-preservation?

And that is the true answer to the question: culture provides the rational for choosing the species over the individual.

I don't see it. I don't see the role that culture plays in this question, and I don't see a real conflict between the interests of the individual and the interests of the species. Every attempt to identify the good in terms of what is good for the group is just a means of forcing some individuals to sacrifice themselves for other individuals. If the good is defined in terms of what is good for the individual, then it is a good that will work for every individual. It is a good that will allow every individual to live and achieve his own happiness.

(Note: This was longer, but I had pity on you guys and shortened it. I took out the part where I state my position in more detail. I'll post that in a new thread.) :p

Leoslocks

We come to a definition of Good through experience, much the same way we learn to reason. We grow from infancy learning first to be depandant on our parents. Soon we learn to lie to get what we want. Have you been woke by a baby crying in the middle of the night thinking it is wet, hungry or dying? The reality of the matter is resolved when holding the clean, dry, not hungry child restores the infant to a peaceful, happy state.

The origional statement:
How do you define good and evil?
I stand by my origional answer, you can not define Good and Evil, only discribe or apply characteristics to it.

A person of Faith allows the thought process to be tempered by the spirit. How we determine good and evil is beyond my limited abilities to convey.

The higher thought proccesses are not even active until most people turn 12 years old. We think in terms of Images, Concepts and Ideas. Concepts are not reachable in most children untill they are 12. We seldom grow to maturity mentally prior to the mid twenties. When we finally learn how to think, we use very little of what brain God gave us.

I was young and now I am old and I have never seen the righeous forsaken nor their seed begging bread.

Ardsgaine

Leoslocks said:
Have you been woke by a baby crying in the middle of the night thinking it is wet, hungry or dying? The reality of the matter is resolved when holding the clean, dry, not hungry child restores the infant to a peaceful, happy state.

uh-huh... so babies are liars?

I stand by my origional answer, you can not define Good and Evil, only discribe or apply characteristics to it.

Oookay. Well, maybe you could describe for me the characteristics of a good action that will distinguish it from an evil one...

How we determine good and evil is beyond my limited abilities to convey.

Or maybe not...

Concepts are not reachable in most children untill they are 12.

I'm not sure what this has to do with anything, but it's certainly false. 'Red' is a concept, and children have it by preschool age.

I was young and now I am old and I have never seen the righeous forsaken nor their seed begging bread.

Riiiight... :rolleyes:

Leoslocks

uh-huh... so babies are liars?
Babys learn to lie quite soon. They don't understand the comcept of a Lie, they just do it. Why the lie could be the color red for all they know.

Well, maybe you could describe for me the characteristics of a good action that will distinguish it from an evil one...
Maybe you could reason one out that wouldn't require any faith to be able to live it.

Ardsgaine

Leoslocks said:
Babys learn to lie quite soon. They don't understand the comcept of a Lie, they just do it. Why the lie could be the color red for all they know.

:confuse2:

Maybe you could reason one out that wouldn't require any faith to be able to live it.
I'll get right on that... in the meantime, you can try this.

outside looking in

<b>Registered Member</b>
Re: Here ya go, OSLI!

Ardsgaine said:
Sounds like you're in pretty much the same boat as Kant.
In many ways, yes.
If we kick something, and feel it, then are justified in believing that it is real.
You have two realities, then. The real reality, and the perceived reality. Like Popper, you're saying that the perceived reality is good enough.
Yes, I believe that there must necessarily be "two realities," and the perceive reality must be good enough, because that is all we have access to. It's not a matter of choice.
Popper doesn't solve Hume's problem of induction, though, he just says, "I'll think about that tomorrow."
Yes, and like Popper, I also have decided to "think about that tomorrow." (Actually, I've done quite a bit of thinking about that, and I think Popper might have been closer to the solution than most people give him credit for. After some reading though, I've decided not to take a firm stance on this issue yet... more study required. ;)).
That is a much trickier question. I believe that the idea of "what is good for the species" is a moving target... changing as we evolve and our culture evolve.
So in what appreciable way has our species changed in the past 10,000 years of recorded history? I'm speaking here of the fundamental nature of man, not his state of knowledge.
Ah, but you just declared the most important part of my statement (our culture) off-limits. :( Our culture is a vital part of what makes us unique as a species. It isn't all genetics anymore... hasn't been for thousands of years.
What's good for man depends on his nature qua man, irrespective of his state of knowledge. His state of knowledge may determine what he thinks is good, but it doesn't affect what is, in fact, good.
Well, to offer a simplistic example for something that represents the "moving target" that I am speaking of: thousands of years ago mass reproduction was favorable. Mortality rates were high, population numbers were low, and the more offspring the merrier (better chance for survival of the genes of the family, and the species). Today, we are quickly heading for a state where equilibrium is more desireable, and unrelentless reproduction is harmful. Our genes haven't changed... but our environment has. Genes aren't the only things that evolve, and in the case of modern humans, I think they are by far the less important of the things which can.
I assume you're speaking of things like prohibitions against eating pork. What has changed is the context of human knowledge.
Which is precisely my point. Attempting to define "good" and "evil" in terms mearly of hard-coded genetics at the individual level (I'm not really sure if that's what you are attempting to do, or what you viewpoint is, but since you seem to take exception to my basis of "good" and "evil" in cultural terms I'm left with little alternative) will ultimately be futile. On the most basic level, it isn't even the survival of the individual which drives behavior, but rather the survival of our genes. We are but mere vehicles carrying them around, doing their bidding.

Of course, I believe there is much more above that level, and stopping at the level of the individual isn't reasonable to me--the level of the society seems the appropriate place to discuss morals.
That principle applies in any given context. An absolute prohibition against pork is like someone calculating the acceleration of gravity on Earth, and then claiming that it is the same for every planet in the galaxy.
I'm not sure what point this is making. It's a part of the "moving target" idea: as knowledge increases or changes, there will be things that we find were once dangerous and no longer are.

Murder is murder. If the doctors save the person's life, then he wasn't murdered.
I guess I would have to agree. My example was a poor one: I was speaking more of the action, you were adressing the result, and after thought I think that "murder" would probably be more properly defined by the result instead of the action. My point is that, if it was "guaranteed" that shooting somone would simply cause a temporary inconvenience, then shootings would probably downgraded to the same level as ordinary assault and battery.

But yes, grinding someone up, incinerating them, and spreading out their ashes would still be pretty evil. :)
We have evolved the capacity to reason, and I believe that once our cultural evolution catches up to our biological evolution, we will find a solution.
There's nothing inevitable about cultural evolution, though. Man has free will, and has to choose the good rather than the evil. Looking back on the twentieth century, I see a cultural "de-evolution" of man. Science has progressed, but moral reasoning has degenerated.
I don't agree. Murder is taken much more seriously now (in most areas of the world at least) than it was several hundred years ago. It was once acceptable repayment for many different offenses on a personal level, and that is no longer the case. We are more enlightened now about a great variety of things, and if our morals seem "degenerated" it is simply because the progression of science has shown how so many previous morals are frivolous and serve no real purpose in the present.
That is, after all, why humans developed the capacity to reason to begin with -- it is more efficient to cooperate.
There are all sorts of animals that cooperate with each other without reasoning. It seems a stretch to say that we evolved in that direction for that purpose. It's more reasonable to say that individual members of the species who developed the capacity for rational thought were more capable of adapting to circumstances and developing strategies for survival, therefore, they were the ones who passed on their genetics, increasing the intelligence of humanity.
I think I worded my statement poorly. Of course the ability to cooperate isn't the only factor in the evolution of our ability to reason. Further, my wording made a common mistake in order: there is never any "reason" behind evolution, in so much as a desired goal is concerned. There are simply variations that are selected for in the current environment, and the resulting traits are just that--results.

Our intelligence does have many advantages, but ultimately the establishment of culture is the most beneficial. It gives us the ability to cooperate on a scale larger than that of packs, and it gives us a framework in which to make "value judgements" that include other individuals as variables.

It is my opinion that human evolution is firmly in the domain now of culture. There is very little environmental pressure for us to evolve further genetically (pressure is usually a result of an inhospitable environment, and doesn't have as great ov an effect on populations that well adapted and flouishing).

Most of our genes are shared with mice and the like, so much of our biology is still centered on self-preservation.
?( You mean there's a type of biology that doesn't require self-preservation?
There are many levels of biology. A mother sacrificing herself for her offspring is not uncommon in the animal world.

Looking at the greater picture, I would say the answer to your question is a resounding "yes." Self-preservation need not be the most effective way of ensuring species-preservation. Intelligence, reason, and culture make that possible. Why else would natural selection have permited the occurence of culture to survive?
I don't see it. I don't see the role that culture plays in this question, and I don't see a real conflict between the interests of the individual and the interests of the species. Every attempt to identify the good in terms of what is good for the group is just a means of forcing some individuals to sacrifice themselves for other individuals. If the good is defined in terms of what is good for the individual, then it is a good that will work for every individual. It is a good that will allow every individual to live and achieve his own happiness.
A difference of opinion I guess. If you are hellbent on defining "good" and "evil" at the level of the individual, then you have to explain why the levels above and below the individual aren't equally important. Personally, I find it much more satisfying to take the highest level as the proper one for moral considerations. Since I don't believe in the metaphysical level, the cultural one is the next best alternative.

When defining morals on an individual basis, you have to explain why culture was ever allowed to evolve. Culture promotes population control, individual behavior (self-preservation) will promote multiple offspring. How do you reconcile the difference, especially when considering that there is a culture in place (this isn't hypothetical... one has evolved), and there is a shift towards population control and equilibrium?

What purpose does culture serve, if not to give a basis for a unified moral structure? The free spread of scientific knowledge doesn't directly benefit the individual: hording that information to provide an advantage would be more in line with acting on the individual level. The roles of "good" and "evil" would be nearly reversed (IMO), but the behavior of scientists would indicate that they are clearly operating in the best interests of the group.

Also, I don't understand why acting for the good of the group is "sacrificing" oneself. In many circumstances, the end result of cooperation on this level is beneficial for everyone in the group. I am reminded of the prisoner's dilemma. No, we don't always hold out in favor of the group, but we don't always act selfishly either.

Scanty

You can't define good and evil, just like you can't define any other word that humans have come up with. Because meanings are only found within the individual. Everyone perceives things in their own way.

In our constantly changing culture, good has probably come to mean the things that are considered socially desirable. In other words...things that are easily accepted, show some kind of altruism and generally follow the current dominant ideology of what is right and wrong.
Also, good is probably defined by what people would prefer to happen to themselves, which again, varies from person to person.

Evil seems to follow the same rules.
The meanings are always fluctuating.

I personally don't think the concept of 'evil' as people think of it, really exists. Like, pure evil.
When people do things that you might say are 'evil', they themselves are not seeing the things they are doing in the same way.
Basically, they feel justified in what they are doing. They feel they are doing it for a purpose that justifies any harm they cause. So they don't have 'evil' intentions, as such.

Anyway...this is a bit of a late response so I'll go now
:p

outside looking in

<b>Registered Member</b>
Scanty said:
You can't define good and evil, just like you can't define any other word that humans have come up with. Because meanings are only found within the individual. Everyone perceives things in their own way.
I have to take exception to that part, at least.

Take the color "red" for example. We came up with the term to describe a certain frequency range of the EM spectrum, but it's easy enough to define it in terms of maximum and minimum frequencies. As such, it can be tested with instruments, and does not depend on the perception of the individual.

Of course, you can argue that what one person "thinks" is red another "thinks" is orange... but the definition of red isn't in question, but merely the ability of an individual to correctly identify it.