Guerilla Gayfare

:grinyes: Statistical analysis is one of the most fraudulent exercises in the history of mankind. We can even take a poll to prove it. :rofl4:

but you do realize that even though i've got some training and have to work with stats from time to time, i'm not, properly at least, a stats guy, right?

just making sure... because i make fun of those guys too.

IMO it's all in 'how' the stats are gathered, as to how accurate they are.

To me, ideology makes me tend to agree with stats that align, but to really
find out, one has to know the gathering particulars.

I always regretted not doing that stats paper at varsity.

Don't... other than being able to read through the BS a little bit faster, and being able to massage the numbers for your own amusement, you ain't missing much.

Unless you can apply it in your work, statistical analysis is a cute skill but otherwise worthless....like Calculus.

Quebec to table anti-homophobia action plan
By Jessica Murphy, THE CANADIAN PRESS

MONTREAL - Revellers at Montreal's gay pride parade had one more reason to celebrate on Sunday: Quebec's wide-ranging action plan against homophobia, years in the making, is expected to be tabled this fall.

"It's a big step," said Jasmin Roy, spokesman for Montreal Pride.

He said the gay and lesbian community expects the new plan will lead to "enormous" results in the fight against discrimination.

"That's why we're marching: to say that finally, this year, Quebec will have a policy against homophobia."

Roy said that despite the fact giant strides have been made in the acceptance of gays and lesbians in the past few decades, many challenges remain.

"We still have to work to apply the law," Roy said.

The action plan uses as its framework the recommendations put forward by the Quebec human rights commission's 2007 report into homophobia in the province.

The report, commissioned two years earlier by former provincial Justice Minister Yvon Marcoux, found discrimination to be present in the province's schools, health centres and work places. It also found homophobia to be a burden carried disproportionately by Quebec's homosexual and bisexual youth - government statistics suggest they're six to sixteen times more likely to consider or attempt suicide.

Quebec's current justice minister, Kathleen Weil, is at the forefront of the plan.

While she's not ready to discuss its details, she says the government will deliver not just promises but "real actions - what we'll do and how we'll do it differently."

"Minorities are often confronted with obstacles, obstacles that stop them from reaching their full potential as human beings," she said.

"Society can't afford that, can't afford to lose these great people."

Immigration Minister Yolande James is also heavily involved in the project.

She says taboos surrounding homosexuality remain strong within many immigrant communities and she hopes the proposal will spark change in Quebec and outside the province.

"We've always been avant-garde in our progress towards equality and I think this policy will allow us to do more and continue to be the front-runners," she said.

"When we speak of Quebec in foreign countries we make sure we re-iterate equal rights and the importance of diversity."

The plan comes on the heels of an announcement in May that the Quebec government is spending half a million dollars on an education campaign meant to improve the lives of gay, lesbian and transgendered seniors, a project overseen by the minister responsible for seniors, Marguerite Blais.

Blais, who has long championed gay rights, says the new plan is an example of the province's progressive culture.

"Quebec is a very open society," she said, highlighting Quebec's legalization of gay marriage in 2005.

Still, the government has faced criticism from the political opposition and union groups for dragging their heels.

It's 40 years this month that homosexuality was decriminalized in Canada and opposition MNA Amir Khadir says no significant measures to fight homophobia have been adopted in Quebec.

He called for the governing Liberals to name a minister responsible for gay and bisexual issues and to increase its funding to relevant community groups.

"It's time to act," he said.

source

It's about time that sexual orientation was removed as a form of discrimination, and the laws on the books actually applied.

/me goes to apply for that job working for the Village Voice that he was refused on a few years ago, 'cause he was a straight minority.

Why does homophobic apply to anyone that finds the behavior repulsive? Just because one disagrees doesn't mean one is frightened.

Well, 0bama is a switch hitter:

Obama administration says marriage law unfair

The Obama administration filed court papers Monday claiming a federal marriage law discriminates against gays, even as government lawyers continued to defend it.

In court papers, the administration said it supports repeal of the law.

Yet the same filing says the Justice Department will defend the statute in this case because a reasonable argument can be made that the law is constitutional.

The government's previous filing in the case angered gay rights activists who supported Obama's candidacy in part because of his pledge to move forward on repealing the law and the "don't ask, don't tell" policy that prevents gays from serving openly in the military.

"The administration believes the Defense of Marriage Act is discriminatory and should be repealed," said Justice Department spokeswoman Tracy Schmaler, because it prevents equal rights and benefits.

The department is obligated "to defend federal statutes when they are challenged in court. The Justice Department cannot pick and choose which federal laws it will defend based on any one administration's policy preferences," Schmaler added.

Why does homophobic apply to anyone that finds the behavior repulsive? Just because one disagrees doesn't mean one is frightened.

and what behavior would that be? buttfucking? sucking cock?

shit, couldn't be much uglier than most other americans engaged in nearly anything sexual.

Fat%20and%20Smoking.jpg

Nah...but his cousin Phillip McKraken was.

Why bother celebrating being Irish or Irish saints, when you can't celebrate being gay, and Irish priests. ;)

Again, you try to twist the conversation to suit your preferences. The article states "Quebec's wide-ranging action plan against homophobia". Not "Quebec's wide-ranging action plan against discrimination"

You said "It's about time that sexual orientation was removed as a form of discrimination, and the laws on the books actually applied." Not "It's about time that the laws on the books actually applied."

Then when I point out that you've shot yourself in the foot, you backtrack and bring in other forms of discrimination .... that if you weren't so obviously discriminatory yourself, you'd have included in your statement from the outset.

Same difference, Prof. The discrimination isn't coming from the homophiles.

'Cept yours, naturally.

I believe you mean to say that it's not coming from the homosexuals. Homophiles ... perhaps, perhaps not. That's not definite. But what is definite is ... it's from POLITICIANS. Anything from the hand of a politician needs to be gone over with more care than Trick or Treat candy.

'Cept yours, naturally.

I believe you mean to say that it's not coming from the homosexuals. Homophiles ... perhaps, perhaps not. That's not definite. But what is definite is ... it's from POLITICIANS. Anything from the hand of a politician needs to be gone over with more care than Trick or Treat candy.

I meant what I said... it's not coming from people who like (or love) homosexuals and/or homosexuality...as opposed to homophobes (for lack of a better term), who dislike (or hate) homosexuals.

Politicians? Nope... read your own post, Prof.

schools, health centres and work places - you can add stores, public transit etc etc...

Discrimination based on sexual orientation is no more a solely-political issue than sexual discrimination is (the infamous glass ceiling).

Back