Happy cows

I'm all ready. Proceed.

public, private the venue has a lot to do with it.
Same as where you have sex.

If someone is making a public spectacle of it on purpose, then that IS more
highly unethical.

Besides being respectful to people, it's the respectable thing to do for the animal,
Even if they are treated disrespectful on the line.

Out of site, out of mind type thing.
At least that's the ethics I've always been taught.

I dunno. What people do when they're not being observed says more about their character that what they do in public.

Did you read what I posted?

yeah and then you asked about vegetables, which as far as i know, ain't got bowels or bladders. so it appeared that you were a bit confused. maybe your comments sounded so incoherent that some kinda snarky poo reference was in order? maybe you believe that organic vegetables are routinely smeared in entrails?

"it's not my job to be as confused as nigel is."

Is this "firsthand" research on your part?

while i suspect we could find a local volunteer, i generally pay desperate people like markjs to take part in experiments like that. i stay behind the glass. hopefully it won't turn out like nearly every zombie movie, with the smashing, and the bloody lab coats, the face eating and the running amok.

:banana:

I dunno. What people do when they're not being observed says more about their character that what they do in public.

I guess so.
IMO it takes a certain kinda person to do these jobs is all I'm saying, and while
I agree there should maybe be more deterrent not to do those things,
I think the system should be lenient. It's probably hard to find good help
for those type jobs.

I think the system should be lenient.

Reasonably so, yea.

People shouldn't be jailed for beating a damned cow but those who show a penchant for beating a damned cow should get a job at the landfill instead.

yeah and then you asked about vegetables, which as far as i know, ain't got bowels or bladders. so it appeared that you were a bit confused. maybe your comments sounded so incoherent that some kinda snarky poo reference was in order? maybe you believe that organic vegetables are routinely smeared in entrails?

"it's not my job to be as confused as nigel is."

What I said on the vegetables was:

If the above statement is true -- that being ""Downed cattle are 58 times more likely to carry mad cow disease than other cattle. Downed cattle also are more likely to carry other food-borne illnesses like E. coli and Salmonella, which kill hundreds of Americans every year," -- then how come people are getting diseases from organic foods and vegetables? Mad vegetable disease?

I thought everyone was aware of this story because it was all over the news.

http://www.fda.gov/oc/opacom/hottopics/spinach.html

Guess you missed it based on your response.

News that I've heard are saying that the fields for that spinach are close to the cow places
and workers (Polly illegals) working both jobs carried the bacteria from
one (cows) to the other (spinach) processing. (on the ecoli thing)

What I said on the vegetables was:

If the above statement is true -- that being ""Downed cattle are 58 times more likely to carry mad cow disease than other cattle. Downed cattle also are more likely to carry other food-borne illnesses like E. coli and Salmonella, which kill hundreds of Americans every year," -- then how come people are getting diseases from organic foods and vegetables? Mad vegetable disease?

I thought everyone was aware of this story because it was all over the news.

http://www.fda.gov/oc/opacom/hottopics/spinach.html

Guess you missed it based on your response.

your statement was ridiculous. part B does not follow from part A. reread it a few times. meat? vegetables? infectious disease? nude conspiracies?

jimmy flosses his teeth every day. why did my ninth grade geometry teacher have bad breath? (well, because he was british and had the corresponding dental hygeine habits, but that doesn't tell us anything about jimmy, a little boy in montana, who dreams that someday he can become a fireman and slide down big poles)

yeah, i know about the spinach.

your statement was ridiculous. part B does not follow from part A. reread it a few times. meat? vegetables? infectious disease? nude conspiracies?

jimmy flosses his teeth every day. why did my ninth grade geometry teacher have bad breath? (well, because he was british and had the corresponding dental hygeine habits, but that doesn't tell us anything about jimmy, a little boy in montana, who dreams that someday he can become a fireman and slide down big poles)

yeah, i know about the spinach.

Just illustrating that there is no need for bowels or urinary tracts for the subject to become tainted. There are always outside sources.

I still say that the statement -- "Downed cattle are 58 times more likely to carry mad cow disease than other cattle. Downed cattle also are more likely to carry other food-borne illnesses like E. coli and Salmonella, which kill hundreds of Americans every year," -- is, has been, and will continue to be utter (udder :) ) bullshit.

you're absolutely right, sick animals are no more likely to carry pathogens than healthy ones.

:rolleyes:
So you believe that a downer cow is actually 58 times-- THAT'S FIFTY-EIGHT TIMES -- more likely to have Bovine Spongiform Encephalopathy (BSE) even though the only case ever recorded in the United States was a cow which came from Canada. Remember, this thread is about a slaughterhouse here in the United States.

Millions of animals slaughtered. Tens of thousands of downers. No recorded case of Bovine Spongiform Encephalopathy (BSE) in any of them.

According to the statement there should be at least 1,000 animals with Bovine Spongiform Encephalopathy (BSE) for every 58,000 downers.

The statement is, has been, and will continue to be UDDER bullshit.

you're absolutely right, sick animals are no more likely to carry pathogens than healthy ones.

:rolleyes:

When we are speaking of E. coli then, yes, they are no more likely than well cows as E. coli exists in the gut of all cows.

The statement could be read thusly as well:

"Downed cattle are 58 times more likely to carry mad cow disease than other cattle. Downed cattle also are more likely to have their bowels ruptured during processing thereby spreading other food-borne illnesses like E. coli and Salmonella, which kill hundreds of Americans every year,"

The E. coli is in their gut, not in their system. To say so is to infer that these cows already have a ruptured bowel and are being poisoned by their own waste. The fact that E. coli can be killed by the simple act of cooking the meat thouroughly would elimineta the problem with people dying of the disease. Unfortunately, you will always have those "I wanna hear it moo" types who want their meat rare.

There is also this little thing about how many processing plants there are as compared to the 1950's when meat was a once a week luxury. Now, people eat meat nearly every day; but the number of processers is nearly the same so the throughput of cattle has grown exponentially while the number of plants hasn't. This means that the same plants have to process a lot more meat than they did in the 1950's and there are bound to be more misteaks :) in the processing due to the sheer numbers.

I think I heard that like 1/3 of All chicken carry Salmonella.
That's why you have to cook it well, and don't eat raw eggs...

:shrug:

Back